Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 11th May 2008, 09:54 AM   #1
bartijotto

Default Ideal Sail - Kombat 105

Hi!
Just bought a Kombat 105. I have 85kg and I wonder which sail a should get. Today I have a Blade 5.0 and 5.7. What would be the best sail (model) option for this board considering 7.0/7.2 sizes? What is the optimal range of sail?
Thanks!
Bernardo
bartijotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2008, 02:12 PM   #2
Screamer

I'll suggest models from North/Tushingham. You could go for a Duke/Storm (wavier crossover sail) or an Xtype/Tbird (no cam "slalom"). Other brands also have similar sail lines.
Just don't pair a Kombat with anything cambered/race sails.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2008, 02:04 AM   #3
bartijotto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamer View Post
I'll suggest models from North/Tushingham. You could go for a Duke/Storm (wavier crossover sail) or an Xtype/Tbird (no cam "slalom"). Other brands also have similar sail lines.
Just don't pair a Kombat with anything cambered/race sails.
Screamer, tks for the help.
The Duke is a great option but, if I think of a bigger sail - lets say 7.2/7.5 - I still have a doubt of what I should consider. Even thougth about the Severne Gator, but I'm not sure if it will work.
tks
Old 13th May 2008, 03:20 AM   #4
Ola_H
TEAM

As Screamer says, avoid cam or freerace sails on that board. Apart from that, you can choose sails depending on the feel you want. At your weight, I don't think you will gain so much by moving to 7.3-7.5 instead of 7.0-7.2, especially not if the sail is heavier with more bottom end. With good technique you might get a bit better mid range, but a bigger sail will bog down the board more and make efficient light wind sailing more difficult (which is what you want the biggest sail for, right?).

But the question in the end is if you just want light wind planing fun (aim for a lighter and "tighter", easily pumpable sail) or more performance oriented locked in sailing (aim for a gruntier, more powerful sail).

I'm not familiar with the Severne sails, but from my brand Hot Sails Maui you can choose either the super fun, light and differernt full dacron "Superfreak" (the only sail with a cult following), the freeride profiled but kind of maneuver cut "Fluid" or the freeride/no cam slalom Speed Demon/XP (one of the few freeride sails that you can get in full xply if you want). Many options and the board can handle them all, the question is what you are after?
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008, 02:17 AM   #5
NWF
www.nationalwatersportsfestival.com

I use a 7m Tushingham Thunderbird which works very well on the kombat 105.

Regards

Allan,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GBR68

The toys!

Starboard
2014 Kode Wave 87 (W), 2014 AtomIQ 100/110, 2013 ISonic 49 (C), 2014 ISonic 90 (W), 2015 ISonic 107 & 120 (C) 2013 UltraSonic 147 (C)

Severne
2013 Blade 4.2, 4.7 and 5.3, 2013 Gator 6.0, 2014 NCX 5.5, 2015 NCX 6.5, 7.5, 2014 Reflex R5 5.1, 5.6, 6.2, 7.0, 7.8, 8.6 Reflex R6 9.5
NWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 04:08 PM   #6
carvesalot

Thumbs up

Gaastra Remedy 7.4
Old 17th May 2008, 06:51 AM   #7
bartijotto

Thank you all!
I'll check on the the gaastra remedy and NeilPryde Expression 6.9.

Regards!
Bernardo
Old 22nd May 2008, 07:51 PM   #8
Jose Lucas

I use a Severne NCX 8.0 and a Gator 6,5 on my k105.

Despite the fact that the 8.0 size has been proving to be bigger than the board can carry, I would consider the NCX model. It has incredible power, confort comparable to a cambered sail, yet keeping light weight and the ease of a no cam. I'm planning to change the 8.0 for a 7.5.

The Gator has about the same power than the NCX. The only difference is that it feels a little more "rigid" (due to the x-ply, I believe). For the "big sail" on your kombat, oriented towards freeride, I would recomend the NCX.

I'm also curious about the Ezzy Freeride. Anyone has any quote on the sail?
Jose Lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2008, 07:49 PM   #9
Jan W

I like to buy a Kombat 106 next to the Isonic 105l.(year both 2006).I have a 7.0 V8 NP.
Now I read that a camber sail doesn't fit well. What is the reason? I use it only for cruising , not for tricks. I like to change the boards ,because I can't handle the chops with the isonic.
Jan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008, 06:54 AM   #10
Screamer

Jan W
It's not always easy to put explanation into words, I'll try. I've spent a lot of time on iSonics and a Kombat (mine is 86 lit). Cambered sails are good with boards that have harder, boxier rails and flat rockers. That's because you want maximum acceleration and speed ("efficiency" is the word these days ;-) Pedal to the metal, never sheet out, take no prisoners ride. Cruising comfort, maneuverability and ease of gybing come after that. And you want all these things in ugly chop, right?
So, you CAN use a cambered sail on a Kombat (I've sailed 3-cam Daytona on K86), but it will take away some of that board's playful character. It's not meant to be driven always at full throttle like a slalom.

Better than any explanation, try this: put a no cam sail on your iSonic, and put V8 on a Kombat. Neither is a good combo that will give you a satisfying ride.

Now Ola could offer you his view, as he recently started to use iSonics I think.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote