Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 14th May 2008, 04:27 PM   #1
tonymatta

Default Serenity and/or phantom 380 rentals

I would like to try out these two boards and they are not available for me to try in Brisbane.

I am planing to visit southern California next month. Is there anywhere there that I could try them?
tonymatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008, 06:24 PM   #2
jgf

Well, it's not Southern California...,

But, just in case anyone is interested, the Cabarete Vela center has the Serenity in their rental fleet. I had an excellent week there in February, but it was too windy to try the Serenity.
jgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 03:37 AM   #3
Unregistered

There's a serenity at Moonbeach Egypt, and another plus Phantom 380 at Minorca
http://www.minorcasailing.co.uk/page...p?expand=subm3

I thought the Serenity would be like a div 2 but in a way it's quite opposite. The SB is designed to sail like a cat rather than plane, whilst the div2 is designed to plane in as little wind as possible. But to be honest the glide on a raceboard is good enough for anybody. I'd like to try the Phantom because trad. raceboards seem so narrow and cluttered once you've got used to wider gear. Plus it should go a bit deeper which was always the weak spot on Raceboards.
Old 15th May 2008, 06:54 AM   #4
steveC

I think the important difference is that the Serenity is engineered for nonplaning conditions, and in addition, it's supposed to be a plug and play design. A Phantom, or a classic raceboard, is designed to use an adjustable daggerboard to present, moderate or hide depending on the amount of wind encountered. Also, they can handle planing conditions, and usually include upwind and planing footstraps positions, whereas the Serenity doesn't.

If nonplaning conditions are the goal, I'm thinking that the Serenity can dominant due to the concept design and much lighter weight.

I'm still waiting to receive my Serenity, but Starboard must be able to supply the standard Starboard protective bag. Something that they seem to be having a hard time doing. I hope they can get it together, because it's a real deal breaker for me. Marketing the board without the bag is a shallow approach, as it's such a long and complicated shape to transport, protect and store.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote