Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19th May 2008, 06:16 AM   #1
mark h

Default 7 knots wind minimum-Slalom 42

After using various SB formula boards for the last 5/6 years for summer breezes. This year I thought I'd see what the new breed of light wind slalom boards where all about. I'v got the iS144, 9m Warp, 11m Warp (emergency super light days only) & a couple of decent big fins. I'v not needed to use the iS144 as yet but the way the winds are going in the UK, its going to finally get alot of use. I was kind of thinking that this combo would only work in 10ish knots, not any less.

I'v just read some of the PWA slalom 42 rules and noticed that the required wind minimum for races is 7 knots (I thought it was 11 knots minimum). This has really suprised me as its the same wind minimum for older PWA formula events.

Am I right in thinking that with an active style, these new light wind slalom boards and 10m sails will get going as early as Formula? I appreciat the upwind differences between the two, but will my iS144 really give a formula a run for its money down wind in sub 9/10 knot winds.

If 7 knots is do-able, then it makes me think I should loose the 9 & 11 Warps and replace with a 9.9 warp or Ram2008???

Any comments/exeriences would be great

The toys:
iSW44 - - iSW49 - iSW53 - iSW58 - iS107 - iS137 - F161.
North Warps: F2012 5.2m, 5.7m, 6.3m, 7m, 8m, 8.6m, 9.5m F2006 11m.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

mark h is offline   Reply With Quote