Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 27th June 2008, 11:32 PM   #11
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurferdagg View Post
Finally got a hold of an old powerbox fin and cut it down. It is now 18 cm and works great I guess (don't have experience with such short fins). However, the thickness (cord length?) is rather well, thick. It was a much bigger fin than 18 cm so just cutting it left it to be a large surface area and also thick. Should I grind it down to thin the profile as well as the cord thickness?

I have done a lot of reading and research trying to find out if a straight cut off (flatt tip) or a rounded tip is better. So far I think a flat tip (like mine) is good because it has a specific spinout point. Would the same be found if I rounded the tip or made it to a point?

Just wondering if there are any benifits to thinning the profile or thinning the cord etc. So far I love the new short fin though!

Thanks,

Thomas
www.tdaggws.blogspot.com

Thomas: By refoiling the chord at the new tip you could reduce the tip vortice that likely increased in size when you cut the fin down. For the type of speeds you are going for freestyle, you might like the effect more than the risk of totally screwing up the fin.

-Dan
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote