Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 30th August 2008, 10:48 PM   #1
Unregistered

Default Which board to get?

Hi all,
I have just started to get into the exciting world of windsurfing. I am pretty sure I want a Starboard but its which module to go for, at the moment I am looking at the ‘Start’, ‘Rio’ and the ‘Go’.
I would like a board that I can progress on, so that I don’t need to change over ability, etc. My weight is 9.9st and height is 6ft if that helps.

Thanks in advance

Phil
Old 30th August 2008, 11:58 PM   #2
nonopr

The only board in the line I see is the Go. It is the only one that does not have a dagger board. The dagger board will be your only obstacle when you get better in windsurfing as you wont need it anymore eventually. BUt that is my opinion.
nonopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2008, 12:09 AM   #3
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonopr View Post
The only board in the line I see is the Go. It is the only one that does not have a dagger board. The dagger board will be your only obstacle when you get better in windsurfing as you wont need it anymore eventually. BUt that is my opinion.
Hi thanks for the reply, am I right in saying the dagger board keeps you straight and helps against swaying off? Does that mean this board would be hard to control?

Phil
Old 31st August 2008, 01:57 AM   #4
steveC

Phil,

A daggerboard gives the sailor better windward ability in very light winds, especially if a lot of current is present. The daggerboard feature can be of significant value for the learning windsurfer that hasn't quite developed the ability to control directional movement, but as soon as a sailor starts planing, the daggerboard is retracted and no longer needed.

The best route to go depends on the type of conditions you will experience at the locales you anticipate sailing in. If winds are under 12 knots most of the time, the benefits of a daggerboard are meaningful, particularly if windspeeds drop under 7 knots. If winds are often greater than 12-15 knots, the daggerboard is much less meaningful, unless you want to do a lot of windward sailing. In the case of stronger winds and a planing target, the daggerboard just makes for a noticeably heavier and less responsive board, especially when it will always be retracted.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2008, 11:29 PM   #5
Unregistered

Thanks for the replies, I’m interested in this board on Ebay, would this be a good one to go for, any opinions in price.

Thanks
Phil

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=019