Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 4th September 2008, 12:39 AM   #1
Gen1surfer

Default Rio versus Go for > 20 Kn windspeed

Hi Team,

I am a (wind) surfer of the first generation (Windsurfer, Mistral Competition, Class II ). Now I have discovered windsurfing again. I like to go fast but comfortable and easy. So tacking should be possible and at <15 Kn wind speed I should be able to tack.

I am thinking of a Rio M, however I am worried about its performance at wind speed > 15 Kn. Will the Rio M have equal performance as a 144 Go?

I am 85 kg, surf most of the time on moderate to flat water (lakes).

What would be your advise?

Thanks in advance,

Olaf
Gen1surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 02:41 AM   #2
rem_cl

Hi Olaf
First, sorry for my bad english.
I'm too a first generation windsurfer, last year i bought a Rio M, is a very good board for learning, nothing more. If you plan that your whole family learn windsurf, it will be a good board choice.
You can not compare a Rio with a Go (any Go) the Rio is a heavy board and also in planning mode, it seems to stick in the water.
I'm also 85 kgs, I think for low wind the Go 155 will be a good choice. I have one, is very stable, friendly for learning, early planning and fast, it will grow with you.

Best regards
Ricardo
rem_cl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 02:45 PM   #3
Gen1surfer

Ricardo,

Thanks, you confirmed, it need to be a Go,

Olaf
Gen1surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 04:00 PM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi guys,
One small problem here....
The Go and the Rio are both OK at 15 knots, but both are getting "way too big" at anything over 20 knots.
If you are looking for really great performance, in 20 knots plus, you would normally be on a 6.0 m2 or smaller rig, and neither the Rio M or the GO 144 are going to be real "performant" with a rig of that size.
I do not understand the statement that the Rio M "sticks to the water".
I agree it's a pretty heavy board, but I've had speeds comparable to most other lighter boards when I've sailed it in 18-20 knots with a 5.6 m2 Sailworks Hucker. You just have to get all the way back on the board and into the outboard footstraps.
Hope this helps,
Roger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 04:32 PM   #5
PG

But the RIO does not have outboard footstraps???

As an alternative take a look at the new generation of longboards, The Kona One, the Tabou Windstyler, the RRD Longrider. On flattish water these boards have a VERY wide range of use, and loose in speed maybe one to one-and-a-half knot in top speed compared to dedicated fast freeride boards.
PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 02:38 AM   #6
rem_cl

Sticks to the water is my sensation about this board, its feel heavy, maybe the final speed is not much less than a Go but the feeling is other thing.
Roger, I really like to read all your post, the "gears one" teach me a lot. Thank you very much.
Best regards.
Ricardo
rem_cl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 08:11 AM   #7
tonymatta

Hi Olaf
The big difference with Rio and Go is the centreboard. In strong wind you will be planing and will not need a centreboard and the Go is optimised for these conditions.

If you want to use the same board in light conditions (nonplaning) then it is no contest. the Rio will be your choice. Othermise you will be on the beach.

If your lake like mine offers more light wind than strong wind and you want to sail every day, then take the Rio.

If you still have your old longboard just want a high wind planing board then get a smaller Go.
tonymatta is offline   Reply With Quote