Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 29th September 2008, 05:10 PM   #1
Andy1234

Default Max. Sail Size for Kode 94

Hi there

On your website you named a 6.5sqm sail as max. sail size for the Kode 94. I just wondered whether this board could also be used with a 6.9sqm (freestyle) sail. I mean it doesn't need to be perfect, but it should still be fun. (The board should be perfect with my 6.0 and 5.3.) I could imagine to replace the 6.9 by a 6.7, but I don't want to get smaller for my biggest sail - since we often have poor wind conditions on our lakes. I weigh 62kg (137lbs) and my second board is a wave board with 74 ltrs.

With my current 101 ltrs freewave board (which turned out to be a 104 ltrs board, width: 62.5cm / 24.6" ) I miss that feeling of a small board - especially in moderate wave conditions when the wind is not blowing enough for my small wave board. But on the other hand it's great to use it with the 6.9 - even in conditions when other sailors have to pull out ther 120 ltrs freeride board with 8.5 sail ;-).

Thanks for your help.

Andy

Last edited by Andy1234; 29th September 2008 at 05:12 PM. Reason: I added the type of sail I use (it's a duke 6.9)
Andy1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2008, 06:51 PM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

At that weight a 6.9 will work very well on the Kode 94. For good planing and upwind you might want to get a bigger fin though but that also depends a lot on your personal preference. Personally I've used the 28cm Drake crossover for 7.0 and felt that is was perfectly OK.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2008, 08:29 PM   #3
Andy1234

Thanks for your feedback - sounds great.

Regarding fins:
I tend to use bigger fins in marginal conditions, maybe because of my racing/freeride style sailing and background: With my current 101 ltrs board and 6.9sqm I use up to 32cm (Powerbox) - even with inwards footstrap position - of cause far from being perfect, but I keep on planing ;-). But I would have to find out what's best on a Kode 94 and I know that I have to learn sailing with smaller fins.
Andy1234 is offline   Reply With Quote