Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 30th September 2008, 01:13 AM   #21
Unregistered

Thanks Peter NM,

I had seen the video a while back, but I enjoyed looking at it again. I really like windsurfing videos shot off speed boat.
I'm gonna get the 11.0 and the 11.9. the only thing that worries me about the 11.9 is that the extension looks real long...
Old 3rd October 2008, 06:02 AM   #22
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter n-m View Post
I think there's a lot of different experiences with the RS Racing sails. Here's one:
http://www.peterman.dk/windsurf-NP-RS-series-780gb.htm

Regards
Peter
Eeehhh Peter,

Did you ever read the instruction manual?

Yes the RSRacing is not bulletproof, Yes just 5% of the sailors can rig it, Yes 1% of the sailors can tune it right. BUT to follow the rigging guide is STEP N# 1. To save my sail, I pop of cams by hand, and I only push towards the batten. SO I don't bend the batten to pop off. Battentensioner is making 90 degrees with sail (@cams) no cams less tensions to top. Downhaul is with right mast like said on sail, but please don't overdownhaul, it really makes the sail perform less. When softer mast use little less downhaul. When mast is stiffer you will break the sail @ some point.

Of course there is a small chance of faults. But you have broken so much stuff, way more than me and 5 other NP RS Racing sailors together. I am doing at least 1000 miles a year per sail! I have never broken NP parts, but I know you can easily break some NP equipment when not careful. Oh, and I read a few days ago 40kn on the GPS, I don't know if that is fast?

When you fly away with NP you probaly rigged to big, or to less downhaul. Np RSRacing got really less lift=noselift compared to others. Maybe you can adjust boom/mastfoot?

For the NP RSRAcing you do have to know what a sail can do or cannot.... AS said before, when rigged right... no problems for lightweight sailors or heavyweight. And all NP RS sails I know are still in 1 piece and they are winning almost everything.
Old 3rd October 2008, 03:56 PM   #23
geo

Instruction manual, yes... anyhow, I know of a few other sailmakers (oh well: more or less, all of the other sailmakers...) you would never be able to find such a report about their products... simply because "you can easily break some NP equipment when not careful", but probably much less so with other brands. And again, most of all: Neil Pryde are the first ones to point at their own unreliability, by offering "limited warranty" (6 months) on their race masts.
As for "... When you fly away with NP...", I know that many many factors may have determined this, but in that epic Sylt 2nd slalom final held in unforecasted wild wind, the ONLY one NP sailor who made to the final was no less than AA, who finished in unusual for him 7th. Maybe others were able to rely on better range, including those on North?

In the end: almost any recent sail can provide excellent performances; some can do that with ease and reliability right out of the bag, others you have to be careful and take some time to figure out the good settings, and even maybe snap some masts despite that... sure NP sails can be sailed at 40 knots, just like a few others, but trying to disguise they have some problems will only help NP to sell more sails with some problems in the future.
And of course 5% of sailors being able to rig and 1% to tune is not exactly good.

Last edited by geo; 3rd October 2008 at 04:11 PM.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2008, 06:14 PM   #24
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
Instruction manual, yes... anyhow, I know of a few other sailmakers (oh well: more or less, all of the other sailmakers...) you would never be able to find such a report about their products... simply because "you can easily break some NP equipment when not careful", but probably much less so with other brands. And again, most of all: Neil Pryde are the first ones to point at their own unreliability, by offering "limited warranty" (6 months) on their race masts.
As for "... When you fly away with NP...", I know that many many factors may have determined this, but in that epic Sylt 2nd slalom final held in unforecasted wild wind, the ONLY one NP sailor who made to the final was no less than AA, who finished in unusual for him 7th. Maybe others were able to rely on better range, including those on North?

In the end: almost any recent sail can provide excellent performances; some can do that with ease and reliability right out of the bag, others you have to be careful and take some time to figure out the good settings, and even maybe snap some masts despite that... sure NP sails can be sailed at 40 knots, just like a few others, but trying to disguise they have some problems will only help NP to sell more sails with some problems in the future.
And of course 5% of sailors being able to rig and 1% to tune is not exactly good.
Nice Topic!!!

HAha, please GEO keep those Ford Mustang sails. I'll race you with my Formule 1 sails. You have never Owned a NP RS Racing, so please stick to your fancy sails. Maybe you sailed one of your sailingbuddies RS sail, and you were not capable tuning your kit.

Dude if you are really that smart you would be sailing NP. Haha, other sailbrands don't need tuning??? LOL... It is true a lot other sailbrands don't got a real sweetspot on downhaul. The vapors/tr-3/4 have indeed a big tuning-range over downhaul. I like the sweetspot of NP, when you found it, nobody can beat you.

Martn van Meurs changed to NP, I don't think the sails are slower... Sylt is not over yet. The Sylt Conditions change all the time, results are not really easy to draw conclusions. We'll see,when 4th slalom elimination it could be a bit different...

Please stop posting nonsense, you are just repeating old rumors... Warranty 6 months... If your X9 breaks on the first session it is a mast with flaw. If it breaks 2 session or later the owner damaged the mast. If sailors read those little books "product care information", everything will stay in 1 piece.

Every mast/boom I broke was the first session, during rigging/ or while sailing. 12 months warranty is not intresting for me, maybe for you?
Old 3rd October 2008, 06:56 PM   #25
Unregistered

Default Who is GEO??

GEO = Giorgio Carpi , the italian windsurfer, the starboard/mauisails.com expert, see mauisails forum for name. I like to know what level you are at sooooo...

[url=http://www.gps-speedsurfing.com/default.aspx?mnu=user&val=34116&uid=1603]searchedd GPS-Speedsurfing with google[url]

Giorgio Carpi. Home spot, : Talamone (GR), Italy. Height, : 191 cm. Weight, : 83.0

Average speed 56.19 kmh, Carbon Art SL 58 / Maui Sails TR-4 6.3
Max. GPS (display) 60.19 kmh, Carbon Art SL 58 / Maui Sails TR-4 6.3
Max. 2 sec. (software) 60.75 kmh, Carbon Art SL 58 / Maui Sails TR-4 6.3
Max. 10 sec. run 57.6 kmh, Carbon Art SL 58 / Maui Sails TR-4 6.3
100 m run 58.52 kmh, Carbon Art SL 58 / Maui Sails TR-4 6.3
250 m run 55 kmh, Carbon Art SL 58 / Maui Sails TR-4 6.3
500 m run 54.08 kmh, Carbon Art SL 58 / Maui Sails TR-4 6.3
Nautical mile 47.6 kmh, Starboard Sonic 95 / Maui Sails TR-3 7.0
1 hour 33.3 kmh, Carbon Art SL 58 / Maui Sails TR-4 7.0

haha, your not that fast. Now I understand why you don't like NP, you have still some things to learn.
Old 3rd October 2008, 07:00 PM   #26
geo

I owned a NP RS:3 for two seasons and decided not to buy NP ever more. No real problems with the sail, but poor overall quality (didn't break anything, but not worth its price) and not nice sailing feel.
Vapors and TR's have NOTHING to do with each other. Can't say about Vapors about that, but TR-3 and 4 seem to work extremely nice with a huge tuning range: not quite a "sweet spot", but rather different sweet spots for different conditions. Most of that is out of OH, no need to tweak DH (unless you are for specific extra broad reach, high wind speed sailing).
MVM changed to NP for the most obvious reason, there is one thing that NP can provide to team riders and Maui Sails can not. MVM did great things on TR's, we will see on NP. Again, my point is: Maui Sails are just as competitive (well in my view not just that, but this is personal), much easier to use (as you pointed out really well: "Yes just 5% of the sailors can rig it, Yes 1% of the sailors can tune it right") and perfectly reliable. And, oh, did I mention not overly expensive?
Sylt is not over: I was suggesting that NP's did not show well in epic conditions. Almost didn't show at all. Probably will, as always, in easier weather. By the way, Albeau just won race 3 in 12 knots.
24 month warranty is the law here in Europe. Don't know how NP does manage that, probably relies on people not starting lawsuits that often for small things like broken masts; nevertheless limited warranty is a clear indicator of how much reliable their stuff is. 6 month warranty is not old rumor, but present reality.
I broke one Gaastra 460/25 mast in 2006, that was after half a dozen sessions. It was replaced under warranty. The base snapped about 50 cms. over the boom, immediately after rigging and before sailing. Did I damage it? Well, I can't understand how, and then why warranty applied.

Last edited by geo; 3rd October 2008 at 07:23 PM.
Old 3rd October 2008, 07:07 PM   #27
geo

As for my speed, never said I am that fast. You did. I guess this has little to do with NP sail quality, which is the topic.
Anyhow, you could always come and check by yourself how fast YOU are "speed sailing" at least 150 mts. from shore among kiter's wakes, freestylers, knee-high chop... no speed strips and smooth waters here, sorry. By the way, my personal best speed was done about 1 mile offshore, in 2 mts. high, 6 Bft driven windswell: at least, between swells I could find some smooth water. Pity you can't go that deep downwind that way, and neither keep a straight line for more than a few seconds.

By the way, and this means really nothing re. sails ease of use or durability: do you really think doing 40 knots on smooth water, where others are doing 5 to 10 more, is that fast? MVM did 45+ on an iSonic86 and 6.3...

Last edited by geo; 3rd October 2008 at 07:22 PM.
Old 3rd October 2008, 10:48 PM   #28
Papounet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi,
Neilpryde has fixed the mastbreak problem.

Hangloose
Finian agree with you...

The same for Le Guen in elimination 2
Papounet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2008, 10:57 PM   #29
Papounet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Fast View Post
SB and NP = unbeatable combo (mostly
Sylt :

Elimination 1 => Moussilmani s => F2/Simmer
Elimination 2 => Angulo => Tabou/Maui sails
Elimination 3 => AČ => *Board/Pryde

After 3 eliminations
1 > Williams => Tabou/Gaastra
2 > Dunky => *Board/North
3 > Moussilmani C => Fanatoc/North

Really a funny race, everybody takes a piece of the cake (-;
Papounet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2008, 11:00 PM   #30
geo

Another few things. Unregistered post #25.
First of all, I understand you must be new to the internet and you should better learn some of the so called netiquette. It is already a bit unfair to participate in "flaming" threads where personal opinions are expressed figuring as "unregistered". Even worse, one is supposed to respect everyone else's ideas and choices about personal exposure: if I like, for whatever reason, to figure as "geo", no one else is supposed to disclose my identity. Actually it is no problem for me, my nick is just that and not a shield; but such behaviour as yours could easily be a problem for someone. I am even amused that you were not banned by the forum administrator; I will not ask for that, as I really do not care, but in my view that should have been done without asking.
That said. I never said I am any "fast". And I never said I am a "starboard/mauisails.com expert". I just owned 3 Starboards over time, and 6 Maui Sails in just 4 sizes, so I do not qualify as an expert. KP is, MVM is, others by sure, not me.