Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 18th October 2006, 05:55 AM   #1
USWE22

Default Starboard Gemini availablility

Hi, I got to try a full Slalom Tandem board a few weeks ago at a MOWIND regatta in Minnesota (Mille Lac Crossing), both of us were experienced sailors and we had two large sails on the board (a Tandem Horney designed board with a slalom cut) we used a 10.5m sail and a 9.2m sail on it and we were fully planing and it was so much fun.

I had so much fun that I am considering getting a Starboard Gemini to use for fun sailing with friends and for teaching, where and when will this board be available? What will the price of it be? I don't seem to be able to find much information on it yet, can someone give me some more info or point me in the right direction.

We are planning a midwest regional regatta for next April in my hometown of Des Moines, IA. And I would love to add another dicipline to our course racing schedule and make a parallell course where teams compete on two tandem boards. Winners move on to next round until the winning team is left. Please tell me how I can get a hold of these tandem boards...

Contact me at ujentler@gmail.com
Thanks
- Uffe
USWE 22
USWE22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2006, 12:18 PM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: Starboard Gemini availablility

Hello Uffe,
Call your nearest Starboard dealer and have them place an order with Tridents Sports (US and Canadian Distributor for Starboard).
I have the first Gemini in the USA here in Hatteras and I'll be in
Florida next month doing some demos.
Come by and try it out.
It's awesome and seems to go better in light winds than the other Tandems I've sailed due to the much wider width.
Getting a Gemini shipped to you is going to be interesting, but I'm sure your dealer and Trident can figure it out and get you one.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2006, 04:32 AM   #3
USWE22

Thanks for your response Roger, I will contact Tridents Sports and see what they say. I won't be able to go to Florida next month (I am located in Des Moines, IA or about 20 hrs away. I will be going to Hatteras in the spring with Kevin Gratton from Fon Du Lac, WI (windpower windsurfing) so perhaps I will get a chance to try it then if I have not gotten a hold of it already. Do you have any idea of what they will cost approximatley?

Shipping it should be interesting.

- Uffe
Old 19th October 2006, 07:56 AM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Uffe,
A little correction to my post above.
It's "Trident Sports"that's the North American Distributor for Starboard.
Here's a link:
http://www.tridentsports.com/
I have no idea what the Gemini will cost, and that's something you will need to work out with your local dealer.
I guess that would e somewhere in Wisconsin (Isthmus Sailboards or
Southport Rigging.)
There was a local dealer in the Cedar Rapids area, but I don't think he's doing windsurfing any more.
Hope this helps,
Old 19th October 2006, 10:23 AM   #5
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi again Uffe,
There are 2 dealers listed in Iowa.
You can give them a call and see if they can get you pricing on the Gemini and have them contact Trident for you.
They would be the "local retailers" in your area.
Here's their contact info:

MIDWEST SAILBOARDS
1204 LAKEVIEW DR. FAIRFIELD, IA 52556
Ph : 515-472-9828
Fax : 515-472-9821
Email : tfactor@lisco.com

Seatasea Scuba & Windsurfing Center
758 N. Center Point Rd Hiawatha, IA 52233
Ph : 319-743-7922

I know the guys at Seatasea, but I've never dealt with
Midwest Sailboards.
Hope this helps,
Old 20th October 2006, 10:39 AM   #6
USWE22

Thanks for all the quick answers Roger, web forums Rock...

I read some reviews about several new exciting windsurfing products in the online version of Windsurf Magazine. Both the Gemini and some of the other tandem boards available. here is a link to it for some that don't subscribe to the email.
General topics:
http://www.windsurfingmag.com/article.jsp?ID=44160
Gemini Board review:
http://www.windsurfingmag.com/article.jsp?ID=44254

I am planning our regatta here for April, I hope to have my own tandem Gemini and perhaps being able to get a second one here for the event so that we can do some "team paralell racing". Hopefully a new and exciting racing format...

I will post more details about the regatta as plans are finalized.
- Uffe
USWE 22
Old 21st October 2006, 05:41 AM   #7
Joe

How does the Gemini sail in subplaning conditions (single rider)?
In low wind & single rider:
How would do against the hybrid formula or phantom?

What I am wondering is does the extra waterline outweigh the increased width in subplaning single rider mode?

Thanks
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2006, 09:46 PM   #8
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Joe,
I can't answer your question as I haven't sailed the Gemini in single rider mode yet.
Having too much fun sailing it in tandem mode.
I think for really heavy sailors, it would be earlier planing, than almost any other board since it has the volume and width to handle the weight of 2 regular sized sailors.
So, if you weigh 300 lbs. (136 kilos) the Gemini could be just the board for you for light wind conditions.
I do not have a Hybrid Formula to test the Gemini against, but I will try to do some testing against the Phantom.
I do not think it's going to "glide" better than the Phantom or the Serenity, so in sub planing conditions, with a single rig, I think the width is going to keep it a little slower than boards that "glide" better.
With 2 sailors (around 175 lb. each) and a 7.5 Retro on the front and a
9.0 m2 on the back, the Gemini is at least as fast as large 150 liter shortboards, and faster than most of them in < 8 knots of wind.
Hope this helps.
Old 22nd October 2006, 02:23 AM   #9
jeff

Roger, you mention being in FL doing demos. Could you give some more info about that (e.g., dates, place)?
Thanks
jeff
jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2006, 03:48 AM   #10
o2bnme

Send a message via AIM to o2bnme Send a message via Yahoo to o2bnme

I think Roger needs a calendar on this web site so we know where to find him when. :-)

I&#39;m hoping to hook up with him at Hatteras so my wife and I can try to Gemini too.

Hey Roger, keep that Gemini in good condition and I&#39;ll buy it off you at the end of the season!! ;-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
o2bnme is offline   Reply With Quote