Old 28th October 2008, 04:16 AM   #1
RonnieS

Default Turning onto wave for frontside

I posted this on ask the team ,but no-one responded! :-(

Hi,

Yesterday I was sailing quite overpowered, (3.9, Evo70,) in a 20 deg cross on wind, mushy waves
I was having difficulty in going from the "very slow close to the wind position, waiting for a wave" to turning onto the wave for a frontside ride. I could do it when the wind dropped, but not overpowered.

What technique should I use?

In words of one syllable please! :-)

Ronnie
RonnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2008, 09:12 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Ronnie,
I'm not completely sure what exactly you are asking.
Can you provide a better description of what exactly you mean by
"20 deg. cross on"
Is the wind causing you to "pinch up" while you are waiting for the waves?
This causes you to lose speed and you are having a problem getting back up to
speed to accelerate onto the wave face when over powered?
I also don't understand why you would be doing better when less powered and having problems when more powered to overpowered.
Are you sure you are sheeting out as you bear off onto the wave face?
We all tend to oversheet a bit when overpowered, so maybe you are reluctant to open up your rig to the full power of the higher winds as you turn downwind to catch the wave.
Give us a little better idea of the wind direction vs the wave direction and perhaps we can give you some ideas to try the next time this happens.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2008, 05:08 AM   #3
RonnieS

Thanks for prompt reply Roger!

Wind was almost cross shore, but very slightly on shore, say 20 deg.

The problem I am describing is the transition move between "waiting at the bus stop" , coming in , backside, and going DTL.

One has to change from going upwind to going downwind.... and I was cocking up this transition .... ending up running away from the wave rather than heading along it.

When underpowered and cross OFF... I pull the sail windward, balance the mast foot and the back foot in the strap, weight the back foot and "squirt turn" the board so that I am quickly facing "the other way" and heading down the wave.

This seemed to work when underpowered the other day but all went horribly wrong when over powered.

How to do this turn when overpowered?

Best

R
Old 30th October 2008, 11:37 AM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Ronnie,
I'm still thinking this one through.
It's a busy week and I'm working overtime, so give me a day or two and we'll get this sorted!
Thanks for your patience,
R
Old 1st November 2008, 08:51 PM   #5
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Ronnie,
I've thought this through and discussed it with a couple of guys who are pretty good wave sailors.
The concensus seems to be that you are trying to make your turn with too little speed.
Would it not work to sail out a bit further and "overtake" your wave with more speed?
Then you can sail right onto the face with power, and make your bottom turn on the face where your board can accelerate more easily, and the wive will be formed up better so you don't have to "wait at the bus stop" for the face to catch up.
If we could see you in action, it might be very easy to tell precisely what's happening.
Hope this helps,
Old 2nd November 2008, 12:24 AM   #6
PG

I think you should try this question on Peter Hart's Technique forum. He should be able to give a good answer on "what to do on the bus stop".

My experience in onshore conditions is that it is very hard to wait for the wave to form "on the wrong side", and then attack it. Typically you have to go backside and then aggressivly turn around. But how?
PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2008, 02:12 PM   #7
Russell

Hi Ronnie.

Waiting at the bus stop as you call it is a technique from Maui on large powerful waves and does not work on many waves around the world.

Slightly onshore mushy waves are very different and only have power at the very top with nothing at the bottom. So you are hit directly with maximum power which shoots you down the wave but you have no power at the bottom to do your turn.

What you could try next time is come in a little down wind of the peak riding the swell upwind looking for the peak to develop. Then doing a backside off the lip to send you in the other direction frontside down the line.

Or if you know exactly where the peak is going to develop you can do a bottom turn on the soft part of the wave upwind of the peak at speed and start your front side wave ride with an off the lip. In other words you back door the wave.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Russell; 2nd November 2008 at 02:15 PM. Reason: more explanation
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008, 05:08 AM   #8
RonnieS

Hi Ronnie.

Waiting at the bus stop as you call it is a technique from Maui on large powerful waves and does not work on many waves around the world.

Slightly onshore mushy waves are very different and only have power at the very top with nothing at the bottom. So you are hit directly with maximum power which shoots you down the wave but you have no power at the bottom to do your turn.

What you could try next time is come in a little down wind of the peak riding the swell upwind looking for the peak to develop. Then doing a backside off the lip to send you in the other direction frontside down the line.

.....IF my backside off the lops were up to scratch!

Or if you know exactly where the peak is going to develop you can do a bottom turn on the soft part of the wave upwind of the peak at speed and start your front side wave ride with an off the lip. In other words you back door the wave.

.....What I was trying to do but it was the "getting to the bottom turn without outrunning the wave that was my problem!"

Thanks

R

Hope this helps.