Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 16th November 2008, 01:11 PM   #1
actiongirl76

Default Which Board?

Hi there,

I'm looking to buy a Starboard that I can have fun on and progess with, but don't know what model or volume I should get, or what sails?!

I have recently moved to 'windy' Wellington, New Zealand (from the UK) and prior to that did most of my sailing in the UK, Turkey and Greece on HiFly mambos/matrix and Startboard Go's (although I can't remember what volume). I've sailed for the last 3 years - but usualy only 1 or 2 weeks over the summer on specific watersports holidays.
Now I live by the sea I can't wait to get a board and go sailing a few times a week!

I'm 5'7, and 74kgs. Can do waterstarts when its not too windy, am good at tacking, but need to get better at gybing. I can get up plainning reasonably quickly and can get one foot in the straps.... and am working on the second one.

The wind in Wellington is quite strong most of the time. I will be looking to start out in the inlet or on calmer sea's, and then hopefully progress to some wave sailing later in the season.

Ideally my boyfriend (who is 5'9 and 76kgs) would like to use it occasionally too - he is happy on a HiFly mambo (with centreboard), but is uncomfortable on a matrix, and hasn't yet tried a Starboard.

What board should I be looking at?, and at what volume? and what sort of sails?

Your help and advice is much appreciated.

Actiongirl
actiongirl76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 04:42 AM   #2
MartinJE

Hi

Try posting this message on the forum at http://www.deepfried.tv/ - a New Zealand based site - you'll get Wgtn windusrfers there!
MartinJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2008, 06:35 AM   #3
actiongirl76

Thanks for your comment. I am hoping I might get some specific Starboard advice here. Deepfried is more general windsurfing.....
Old 18th November 2008, 08:13 AM   #4
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Dear actiongirl76,

Depending on your skills and typical wheather conditions where you are located (lower & upper wind range, swell, chop, etc...), you might want to check this table out first :

http://www.star-board.com/2009/pages...ts/myboard.php

Then, depending on the skills of your boyfriend as well, you might consider one of the 3 following categories :

- all-weather
- progressive
- freeride

As there are quite many options out there, please let us know into more details what both of you want: easy-going, plug-and-play, performance, evolution, durability, wide range, top of the line, etc...

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2008, 12:11 PM   #5
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Actiongirl 76,
I've "pasted" your questions here and will try to provide an answer to each part of your overall question.
"
I'm looking to buy a Starboard that I can have fun on and progess with, but don't know what model or volume I should get, or what sails?!"

Do you intend to buy a new board, or something relatively new on the used market?

"I have recently moved to 'windy' Wellington, New Zealand (from the UK) and prior to that did most of my sailing in the UK, Turkey and Greece on HiFly mambos/matrix and Startboard Go's (although I can't remember what volume). I've sailed for the last 3 years - but usualy only 1 or 2 weeks over the summer on specific watersports holidays."

Now I live by the sea I can't wait to get a board and go sailing a few times a week!"
Do you have any idea how windy (knots...Bft....M/S) it is there in Wellington?
Have you checked any of the local launches to see what size sails the guys and girls are
using?

"I'm 5'7, and 74kgs. Can do waterstarts when its not too windy, am good at tacking, but need to get better at gybing. I can get up plainning reasonably quickly and can get one foot in the straps.... and am working on the second one."

OK, I would put your skill level at very advanced beginner to intermediate (except for the waterstarts which is very commendable for someone at your skill levels in other areas.
At 74 Kg, you could quite easily sail a 100-110 liter freeride board like the Carves (older) or the newer Futura's, but you need to match the board and sail sizes to the local conditions and it would be good if you remembered what the volume was on the GO boards you were sailing before you moved to NZ.
The smallest common GO boards (in the last 7 or 8 years) have been in the 139-140 liter range, which sounds a bit big for windy Wellington conditions.
If you were to get a new 100-111 liter Futura free ride board you would perhaps have some adjustments to make getting accustomed to the smaller narrower board.

"The wind in Wellington is quite strong most of the time. I will be looking to start out in the inlet or on calmer sea's, and then hopefully progress to some wave sailing later in the season."

Again, some idea of the actual windspeed would be very helpful.
If the wind is in the 12-16 knot range, the Futura 101 or 111, with a 5.5m2 and 6.5 m2 rig should suit a 74 Kg sailor pretty well.
Something easy to start out on in calmer conditions is pretty much a freeride board like the Futura....... something to sail in the waves is a whole different situation.
Have you ever been out in breaking waves before?

"Ideally my boyfriend (who is 5'9 and 76kgs) would like to use it occasionally too - he is happy on a HiFly mambo (with centreboard), but is uncomfortable on a matrix, and hasn't yet tried a Starboard."
I suspect that he would be uncomfortable on a Futura as well, but a Rio (even a small one) to satisfy his needs is not going to cover what you seem to want.

"What board should I be looking at?, and at what volume? and what sort of sails?"

For you, the Futura 111 or 101 might be a challenge right at first, but you seem to want to "go for it" so I have some confidence that you would adjust and progress rather nicely on either of these Futuras.
If you want to get into the waves pretty seriously, then a Kode or one of the larger 90+ liter wave board might work, but the adjustment from a small GO would be quite a bit.
For your boyfriend, something used, with a center board would seem the best initial investment, until he no longer needs the CB.

As to types of sails, that will depend alot on what the conditions (windspeed and chop) really are, and whether you want to purchase more "heavy duty" wave sailing rigs initially, or get some good freeride rigs and upgrade to wave stuff after you find how how much you really want to sail in the waves.
When sailing freeride gear in flatwater conditions, you almost never break anything.
When sailing breaking waves there's always the potential for your board and rig to get "rolled" and have some thing break.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2008, 10:37 AM   #6
actiongirl76

Hi Roger (and JM),

Thanks for your reply - your advice has been very helpfull so far and much appreciated.
Here are the answers to your questions:

1)I am ideally looking to buy a second hand board upto about 3 years old. Although if there are any good discounts on new boards I could be persuaded

2) The mean annual wind speed in Wellington is 12 knots. With 173 days a year with gusts exceeding 32 knots(!!!) There are around 15 days a month when wind speeds are over 20 knots for at least 1 hour, and around 26 days a months with winds between 15 knot and 19 knots for at least 1 hour.

From what I can figure out most people have a quiver that ranges in size from 3.5m - 6m on average, and maybe something a bit bigger for the light days. Although some guidence on whiat might be suitable for me would be much appreciated. I would like to start out with 2 sails initially.

3) Sorry, when I said I can do waterstarts, I actually mean I can beachstart. Apologies for the confusion - waterstarts are next on my list!

4) I plan to start out in the inlet on flat water or in the harbour where there can be a small/fair amount of chop and swell. I haven't been out in breaking waves before, so this will be new to me. I imagine that I will spend a fair amount of time off the plane, and would definitely feel more comfortable with somethng that is stable enough for me to uphaul without sinking!

5) I've done a bit of research and think I was on a Starboard Carve (either the 145 or 125) when I was in Turkey last summer. I had jumped down to that from the Hifly Matrix, which is 149 litres. I'm wondering if the Futura 11 might be too light for me??
Unfortunatly there is no-where in Wellington or nearby that hires windsurfers (someone is missing a trick here!), so I am unable to go and test any volumes.

6) I think your perceptions of me are pretty spot on! Although whilst I want to go for it, I do also want to be on a board that I am comfortable with and can sail from day one. There is a balance to be had... a little bit of difficulty is fine, but I don't really want to spend my first few days/weeks in the water struggling to get going and getting frustrated with myself and the board.

7) I think I am looking for a freeride board (but am open to other suggestions), that I can blast around and progress on, but something that I can take out and start jumping smaller waves, or doing basic tricks when I feel ready. I guess if I really lve wave sailing I can always get a more dedicated wave board later on.

I hope this helps, and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Best wishes
Actiongirl76
Old 9th December 2008, 12:26 PM   #7
actiongirl76

Hello!!!
Is anyone available to reply? I have my eye on a 145 litre or a 121 litre starboard carve... but am really not sure which one to go for, or indeed if they are suitable for me.
Help!
Old 9th December 2008, 09:16 PM   #8
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Action Girl,
At 74 Kg. the 145 liter board is going to be too big for windspeeds > 15 or 16 knots.
I'd suggest the 121 liter board.
That's plenty big enough for you to uphaul, and still small enough for you to do most of the things you seem to want to do.
My guess is that you will soon want a smaller board with the amount of wind suggested.
Probably a 7.0 ish meter sail and a 5.5 m2 sail would make a good 2 sail quiver.
The 7.0 will work in 12 knots on a 121 liter board for a someone your size, and the 5.5 m2 should work in winds up to aroiund 20 knots.
Beyond 20 knots, you need something smaller and a smaller board.
Hope this helps,

Last edited by Roger; 9th December 2008 at 09:18 PM.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote