Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 24th January 2009, 11:04 AM   #1
PH68

Default Formula sail sizes for lightweight

A question for Jean-Marc or some of the other light weight Formula sailors reading this Forum:

What sail sizes do you have in your quiver and which one do you use in different wind ranges?

I have just started with Formula equipment and would like to know what the biggest sail is that a light weight (I am 70 kgs) should be able to hold down in a given wind strength in clear wind, i.e. not necessarily in a racing situation with dirty water and wind.

Cheers,
Peter

Last edited by PH68; 24th January 2009 at 11:11 AM. Reason: clarification
PH68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2009, 12:53 PM   #2
GRE202

Hi!
If you are not interested in races, a 10m2 sail would be just right for your weight. You will have a huge wind range starting from about 8 knots. When sailing with over 20 knots wind, a 9m2 is OK. If you try an 11, you will decrease the wind range in light winds. My opinion is to start with one sail (10m2) and two fins.
regards
GRE202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2009, 01:22 PM   #3
gre-969

Send a message via AIM to gre-969 Send a message via Skype™ to gre-969

Ofcourse it depence if you use a new formula board with the very width tails over 80cm , in that case you can easily use bigger sails than 10m in light winds.
And for light weight sailor it's a must to have very soft fins choosen and generally with not to much rake.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gre-969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 09:35 AM   #4
PH68

Thanks Guys,

I have a 10m and was wondering what the max wind strength is that I should still be able to use it in.

The 10m is fun from about 10kts up to about 18kts, then I am really getting uncomfortable.

Is it just my (lack of) technique/trim or is that about where other light weights would also switch down to say a 9m?
PH68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 03:47 PM   #5
Valdis

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH68 View Post
Thanks Guys,

I have a 10m and was wondering what the max wind strength is that I should still be able to use it in.

The 10m is fun from about 10kts up to about 18kts, then I am really getting uncomfortable.

Is it just my (lack of) technique/trim or is that about where other light weights would also switch down to say a 9m?
Take 11 and everything will be OK. I am 73kg.
Valdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 09:56 PM   #6
Ken

PH68,

Practice, practice, practice. Comfort only comes with time on the water. On your 10m, are you reaching or going upwind & downwind? Point of sail makes a big difference. Water state (chop and waves) also makes a difference. 18 knots in open water will be a lot more challenging than protected flat water, especially on the downwind runs.

Fin selection make a big difference too.

From my experience in racing formula (amateur), carring a large sail in strong winds is only an advantage on the downwind legs of the race. If you aren't racing, a 9m would be plenty of sail in 15 to 20 knots (8.5 in 18-20 knots) except for downwind.

An 11.0 would give you an advantage in 7-15 knots over a 10.0 (7-10 knots = getting on plane quicker, higher pointing & better downwind speed. 10-15 knots= better downwind speed).

I weigh 79kg and sail a F160 using 11.0, 9.3, 8.3 Maui Sails TR-3's and 4's. As I said, I am an amateur, plus I only race about 6 times a year. The top sailors carry much larger sails. I usually rig about 1.5m smaller that the top racers (my comfort range).
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 10:21 PM   #7
Aco

Hi Peter!
Quote:
A question for Jean-Marc or some of the other light weight Formula sailors reading this Forum:
What sail sizes do you have in your quiver and which one do you use in different wind ranges?
I weigh 73-75 kgs, but before making any comments I should add the following:

(a) I absolutely LOVE planing with a Formula and
(b) I absolutely HATE slogging with a Formula
===================================
(a+b=) I use the largest possible sails for the conditions

That saild, for freesailing with Formula WW/LW I use my sails approximately as follows (average windspeed):
(+) 8-14 kts => 11.6-12.5m2
(+) 12-18 kts (gusting max 25) => 9.8 m2
(+) 16-25 kts (gusting max 35) => 7.5 m2
(+) 25+ kts (gusting 35+) => here Formula becomes a really wild animal - better switch to something smaller...
Quote:
I have just started with Formula equipment and would like to know what the biggest sail is that a light weight (I am 70 kgs) should be able to hold down in a given wind strength in clear wind, i.e. not necessarily in a racing situation with dirty water and wind.
As stated above, for light winds a 12.5m sail is not a problem, even for a 70-75kg sailor:
I believe it's more a question of "what you like" that "what you can sail".

With Best Wishes,
Aco

Last edited by Aco; 2nd February 2009 at 10:34 PM.
Aco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 10:39 PM   #8
Aco

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRE202 View Post
Hi!
If you are not interested in races, a 10m2 sail would be just right for your weight. You will have a huge wind range starting from about 8 knots.
Hmmm....the low-wind topic is an interesting one for me:
in 8 kts I believe you would have some trouble to confortably plane with the 10m sail.

Furthermore, I believe that @ that windspeed even if you manage to get going with the 10, you would be far more confortable on an 11.6-12.5 than on the lowest limit of the 10, praying for the next gust...

The 10m for me is more of a 10+ kts machine - of course just my opinion...
Regards,
Aco

PS: Another interesting chapter for me is the "highly applauded" (especially in the olympic campaign) 6-8 kts range:

while I have heard of sailors reporting of
"planing in 6 knots with a 9m sail",

I have to admit that when the local weather station is reporting 6kts I do not stand a chance of consistently planing, even @74kg pumping fiercely my 11.6-12.5m sails...this being IF THE WIND IS NOT GUSTY - of course you can occasionally plane in 6kts gusting to 12+ and then try to pump/bounce trough the lulls!

Last edited by Aco; 2nd February 2009 at 10:47 PM.
Aco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 12:11 AM   #9
carlosgp5

Default planning in 7 knots

Hello Aco and all...
I have a gaastra vapor 10, FW147 and carbon boom. Im pretty begginer, only 2 years of formula and a few races. 72 kgs.
I plan on 7 knots.. measured more then once on my wrist anemometer...
Itīs 7 knots with maximum gusts up to 9, open water with some chop and swell.
Just to state that in my little experience the aluminum boom makes it much harder to plan on very light winds.
Cheers
carlosgp5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 03:24 AM   #10
BelSkorpio

I'm 85kg, amateur, and I plane on a F161 with a 9.5m2 in 7-9 knots.
Agreed, not comfortable, and I'm sure not gonna win a race (if I would race in the first place).
In this light wind, I often do need some gusts to get into planing. But when I'm in, I'm in there to stay.
Just to show that even with my weight, a relatively small sail in light winds keeps me going on a F161. I did not believe this myself 2 years ago, when I hadn't heard yet of the wide Formula boards with their huge fins.
I'm still wondering if I (an amateur) should buy myself a 11m2 or not. Is it worth it ? To be honest, I already start to get a hard time with the 9.5m2when the wind raises above > 12 knots. I definitely stop at > 15 knots and change for my slalom board with a much smaller sail.
Hey, we can not be all professionals, right ?
BelSkorpio is offline   Reply With Quote