Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 6th March 2009, 02:59 AM   #1
Indrek Aavisto

Default Chinook boom outhaul line slipping.

I have a fairly new (on its second season) Chinook aluminium boom that has a plastic cleat for the outhaul. Recently the outhaul line has been slipping in the cleat, and I assume this is due to wear on the plastic teeth.

My previous boom had a metal cleat that showed no sign of wear when one of the boom arms after about four seasons. Moreover, the metal cleat was secured by a screw, permitting cleat replacement if necessary. I wonder why Chinook chose to go to plastic instead of metal for the cleat. Also the cleat is moulded into the boom end fitting, so it cannot be replaced. I have tried tying the tail end iof the outhaul line to the boom, but have yet to discover how to secure the knot properly.

Apart from buying a new tail piece, or a new boom., can anyone suggest how I might stop the outhaul line slipping?

Last edited by Indrek Aavisto; 6th March 2009 at 03:56 AM. Reason: typo
Indrek Aavisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 04:01 AM   #2
mr vfr

you can get a metal v-jam cleat and pop rivet it to the back end of the boom. Search for v jam at a place like:
http://www.westmarine.com
mr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 04:34 AM   #3
Indrek Aavisto

Thanks mr vfr.

I wonder, though whether drilling a hole for the rivet would weaken the boom.
Old 6th March 2009, 05:34 AM   #4
johnk

Before replacing the cleat, I would first experiment with using a different outhaul line. I have been using an 8 plaited Marlow Pre-Stretch in 5/32 which I find grips better than the black/blue line that Chinook supplies with their booms and mast extensions. West Marine has a similar product from FSE ROBLINE:

8-Plaited Dinghy Line at West Marine
johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 02:25 PM   #5
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Indrek, and John K, and mr. vfr:
I agree that you can install an aluminum V-cleat on the boom end.
Drilling for a couple of 1/8" aluminum pop rivets will not weaken the end of the boom appreciably. Many booms had the whole rear end pop riveted onto the rear of the boom, so if it will hold the entire boom end fitting on, it should not weaken the boom if you put the rivets on the back end.
There are several varieties of V-cleat or Clam cleat that should work quite nicely.
I also agree with John K. that going to a slightly larger and softer line may improve the function of the plastic cleat teeth to the point that putting on a V-Cleat in unecessary.
You also might find a complete replacement for the boom end that rivets on.
The old molded on plastic boom end you have now can be fairly easily removed with a hot knife or a soldering iron/woodburning iron with a thin flat blade.
The heated blade will slice through the molded on boom end fitting like butter. (Well, maybe butter on a very cold day.
Hope this helps,

Last edited by Roger; 6th March 2009 at 08:21 PM.
Roger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2009, 02:23 AM   #6
Indrek Aavisto

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

I have changed the outhaul line for some spare line that I had intended to use as a back up for a control line on my Laser. It is a non-stretch white silky texture line that seems to be grabbed by the cleat very easily. I have not tried the boom in action yet, but once it is cleated I can't budge the replacement line by hand. If plan A does not work, I will pop rivet a clam cleat onto the boom.