Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 12th March 2009, 09:29 PM   #1
Klint

Default Minimum wind in PWA slalom?

What is the actual minimum wind they run heats in PWA Slalom ? Officially it's said to be constant 7 knots but looking at registered equipment on competitions in 2008 (typically iSonic 133 or 122 and 9,0 as largest gear), will they really be on the plane with that combo in only 7 knots...? Would think a formula would just be on the plane in those winds, or?
Klint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009, 06:20 PM   #2
Chris Pressler

Hi Klint,
the limit is around 8 knots. Sometimes races get started in really light conditions, like on Sylt. At veneus with less steady wind. At most of the spots there can be staedy wind and the race crew will wait for suitable conditions. And if itīs too light, no races will be finished or started, like South Korea last year.

The biggest sailsin 2008 were around 8,4 to 9,0. Some heavy sailors registered a 9,8, like Antoine or Finian. It also depends, what your biggest board will be. If you plan to register a big sail, you should register the 133 or 144, which are at the max of 85 cm in the width.

The 122 works up to 9,0 fine, if you have a good tuning and well working fins.

In 2009 only 3 boardsizes can be registered and 6 sailsizes. So, I guess many Starboard riders, who are close to 90 kg or even heavier will register 133 / 111 /86. So they can carry a bigger sized sail than 9,0.

Hope the answers help,
Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chris Pressler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009, 07:53 PM   #3
Unregistered

With slalom boards capable to plane in 8 kts wind, maybe I'll quit Formula Windsurfing and Formula Experience and go for the Is 133. I'm 76/78kg, so I think that's a good size for me. I live in a light wind area. What do you think guys?
Old 13th March 2009, 08:12 PM   #4
Klint

Read an interesting article in Windsurf by US 34 Micah Buzianis about his view on slalom light wind conditions. He was (bearing in mind he's a former competitive Formula sailor) totally convinced that he could be on the plane just as early with his 85 cm wide board + NP 9,8 + powerful fin as a guy on formula equipment.

You will ofcoures be more powered on a formula in lets say 8 knots and for upwind performance you can't really compare the two.
Klint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009, 08:31 PM   #5
Ken

Poster 3,

The majority of us mortals aren't going to plane in 8 knots on a big slalom board with a 9.8 sail. I have a F 160 and with an 11.0 and pumping my brains out I can plane in 8 knots, but inland sailing is puffy so comming off plane is a regular occurance, plus it's very difficult to make any headway upwind or downwind. Fresh water makes a difference too. I weigh 79kg.

A pro sailor in steady winds in salt water can do things we can't. Keep your formula stuff. I added an iS 111 to my quiver and find that when my 9.2 on the formula board is a hand full, jumping on the 111 with a 7.6 is a perfect step down.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 11:57 PM   #6
Unregistered

Planing in 8 knots, o start planing is from the fantasy field. Never have done this.
8 knots treshold is mentioned in rules, but it should be measured from drifting boat. Drifting inflatable speed is aprox 2-3 knots. So real wind minimum is about 10-11 knots. Maybe you can sail on slalom equipment if you are alone. On the slalom racing course only the first goes and all the crowd rests in his shadow. In formula almost all racers can plane and race.