Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 29th October 2006, 04:36 PM   #1
Racer

Default Board weights

Not aimed at Starboared but all manufacturers. The board weights are spec at +/- 6% for all manufacturers. How many board leave the factory outside this spec?
How many people actually weight the board in the shop before they buy it?
If you buy a board, take it home and then weigh it and find its above 6% heavy, do we have any comeback?

Anyone like to comment on this?
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2006, 11:18 PM   #2
steveC

Default RE: Board weights

Hi Racer,

When you weigh a board, it should be stripped of all add-on features such as the straps, fin and any screws. Arguably, that might include the pads too, even though they are bonded in place. It's my thought that board weight should encompass the straps (and pads), as the board would pretty useless without them. Nevertheless, manufacturers seem to always look for ways to achieve the lightest possible weight. I guess there is some rationale for measuring a completely stripped item, since most of us tend to view our own weight to be less any clothes.

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2006, 08:43 PM   #3
JayTurcot

Send a message via AIM to JayTurcot Send a message via MSN to JayTurcot

I would image part of the reason board weight is measured as purely the board weight is that the Cobra factory (which manufactures them) aren't going to include any variability in the weight of accessories in the evaluation of their board. They manufactured the board and only the board, so they outline the spec for only the board.
On the bright side, +- 6% on only the board weight means less variability (think of those extra +- 6% of the straps, pads etc. that doesn't count as board weight! )

That being said, Cobra International is rated as a ISO 9002 compliant company. ISO 9xxx is an international quality standard. For a company to be ISO certified, they have to pass semi-regular audits on their quality control process etc.

I'm not sure how rigourously it is enforced, as I have worked in plants that view their ISO certification with varying attitudes. In most cases, I think it would be fair to say that they're shipping out a quality product. Then again, feedback from their customers (complaint / non-conformance report) usually helps
JayTurcot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2006, 12:54 AM   #4
Duracell

ISO 9xxx == company has documented their procedures IOTW, goto McSonalds, some days the stuff is "fresh" some days your hamburger is room temperature. Remember ISO 9xxx!
Duracell is offline   Reply With Quote