Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 11th April 2009, 08:17 AM   #1
davide

Default How to fix a quiver

Ok, this is going to be fun in a sort of obsessive way.

I have a Isonic 111, and I am trying to sell my next board down in size (a CA SL 58, 98L).

Would a Isonic 101 make sense, even if it is quite close to the 111?

Maybe I'll just live with the gap ...

Last edited by davide; 11th April 2009 at 01:01 PM.
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2009, 09:08 AM   #2
wiindz

are you serous?? HAHA unless you want to replace the two, why would you buy a board that is only 3 liters bigger then one of your boards and 10 smaller then your bigger board?! i have a 115l and a 88l and and still have some gray zone where i can use both boards!!! if you have that much spare change, you wana buy me a new boar to replace the 115l? XD dude, honestly, stick with what youve got unless you dont like your 98l, in which cae buy a smaller isonic.....
happy shopping!!
wiindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2009, 10:00 AM   #3
davide

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiindz View Post
are you serous??!
I said it was going to be funny and it is indeed very indulgent certainly I do not want to buy YOU a boar!

Last edited by davide; 11th April 2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11th April 2009, 01:53 PM   #4
benti

Default messed up quiver!?

It's a hard one this,and i think some of the fun in windsurfing is the constant longing for an even better day... I am 70 kgs myself,the 111 is a fantastic board,its perfect with the 8.3. and great with the 6.7 as well,maybe not the fastest in top speed but fast around the bouys. recently bought a 76, this would be perfect with my 5.6,(sails CR) IT,s kind of all good, but if i dared tell my wife,i would have an 96 as well,its possible to sail the 111 fast in overpowered conditions, but not perfect, its also good with the 76 but not very effective in the lulls... How come you can have so much fun,and still not be satisfied-says my wife?? the greats joys of surfing eeh? always up for an even better day
benti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2009, 10:37 PM   #5
davide

Default Futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by benti View Post
How come you can have so much fun,and still not be satisfied-says my wife?? the greats joys of surfing eeh? always up for an even better day
Boh ... I am glad my wife and I have separate accounts!!!!!

But just for the fun of it: The Isonic 96 crossed my mind but what about a Futura?

Could go CA 52 (similar to Isonic 76 in range) Futura 93 (or 101) and the Isonic 111?

Full on slalom/speed + hybrid slalomish/freeride + slalom light air.

Can the Futura 93 take a 6.5 easily?
Old 11th April 2009, 10:38 PM   #6
mark h

iS101/iS111 going to feel very similar. I wonder if a nice new iS96 would be the one.

The toys:
iSW44 - - iSW49 - iSW53 - iSW58 - iS107 - iS137 - F161.
North Warps: F2012 5.2m, 5.7m, 6.3m, 7m, 8m, 8.6m, 9.5m F2006 11m.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

mark h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2009, 11:46 PM   #7
steveC

Just curious about the CA58, as it's my understanding that the board is really not that old. Did it come up short on your performance expectations, or is it just too similar to the CA52?
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2009, 03:58 PM   #8
Ola_H
TEAM

I think the iS101 is too close. I'm your weight and even though the S101 is a very controllable board that is surprisingly easy to ride in chop it still sums up as a light wind kind of board. If I had a 111, I would rather pair it with a iS86 (or possibly 94). The 86 is still very effective with something like a 6.6 but feels like a much smaller and more natural board with a powered up 6.0.

But maybe the 86 is to close to the CA58 you are getting rid of? If so, it would help to know why you are selling the 58?
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2009, 10:58 PM   #9
davide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola_H View Post
I think the iS101 is too close. I'm your weight and even though the S101 is a very controllable board that is surprisingly easy to ride in chop it still sums up as a light wind kind of board. If I had a 111, I would rather pair it with a iS86 (or possibly 94). The 86 is still very effective with something like a 6.6 but feels like a much smaller and more natural board with a powered up 6.0.

But maybe the 86 is to close to the CA58 you are getting rid of? If so, it would help to know why you are selling the 58?
Volume wise the CA 58 is just about right, something that seats in between the CA 52 and the IS 111, although I really question its real volume, 98L seems very optimistic. I am selling it simply because CAs do not seem to work very well for me. They feel unstable at high speed and they are slow on the uptake ... it might be that they are designed as pure downwind high-wind boards but I found them quite limited in range.

I can probably try to live with the CA 52 + IS111 combo, but it is a big gap ... a Is 86 seems a bit close to the CA 52, but it is an idea. Good to rule out the 101.

More evenly spaced is indeed a Is 94 or maybe a Futura 93. The futura might actually double as a more versatile board: still floaty (almost uphaul), can go fast or do little B&J depending on fin, with the new short and wide + wide tail layout that I am coming to like a lot.

Last edited by davide; 4th November 2009 at 03:34 AM.
Old 13th April 2009, 04:03 AM   #10
Ola_H
TEAM

The Futuras are super nice freeriders, but if you're used to full on slalom boards, I think you will find iSonics more fun. The isonics are so easy in jibes and stuff, that there is not much to gain with a Futura once you're "slalom ready". The big thing with the Futuras in my opinion is that they offer almost the same performance as the iSonics (regarding planing, speed, upwind, control etc etc) with much less technique input from the sailor. But when you have the technique you can get more performance right across the board on an iSonic.

I think you should try out an iS86 if you have the chance. It's still a fair bit wider, especially in the tail, than the CA52. I think you will find it quite well positioned in between the iS111 and CA52. It's an awesome boards also for a light weight, non slalom racer like myself. Even though its lower volume than the CA58, I think you will still find it big enough. And the iS86 stems from a magic line of boards from way back. Anybody will tell you this size has always been a real gem of the range. No doubt, this is something you feel when you step on the iS86. It's one of those rare boards that just "have it".
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote