Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 29th October 2009, 07:55 AM   #1
Vict90

Exclamation iSonic or Futura?

Hi everyone, i have got a starboard futura 133lt of 2009 and i used it with a 6.6 hot sails maui speed xp2008. For all the summer i was ok with winds from 15-to 20 knots and lil more. Now i want to change my board but i don't now what to buy, i'm interested to isonic, i know that is really really fast, but some people told me that is more technical, more difficult to use and need bigger sail's size. So I'm undecided, Futura 111 or iSonic 111?
Consider that i want to keep my hot sail maui speed xp and I'm 68kg!!

Please help me!
Vict90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2009, 08:13 AM   #2
Jesper Orth

Hi Vict90

I tested the Futura here in WA against the Isonic and it is clear that Futura is a very easy board to handle in any conditions.

The main difference between the 2 boards is that the Isonic will deliver a bit more "all round" race winning style, because you can really push them with great speed slightly upwind and pass your competition. On the other hand the Futura is really nice off the wind (with the narrower tail)

If you were not directly competing, then I would any day recommend the Futura range. Speed is similar as Isonic (especially a bit off the wind) and the ride is very comfortable.

You wont be disappointed with this Futura 111,,

Jesper
Jesper Orth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2009, 08:26 AM   #3
Vict90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper Orth View Post
Hi Vict90

I tested the Futura here in WA against the Isonic and it is clear that Futura is a very easy board to handle in any conditions.

The main difference between the 2 boards is that the Isonic will deliver a bit more "all round" race winning style, because you can really push them with great speed slightly upwind and pass your competition. On the other hand the Futura is really nice off the wind (with the narrower tail)

If you were not directly competing, then I would any day recommend the Futura range. Speed is similar as Isonic (especially a bit off the wind) and the ride is very comfortable.

You wont be disappointed with this Futura 111,,

Jesper
thanks a lot!
Old 30th October 2009, 04:45 AM   #4
walter 1212

Am vergangenen Wochenende testete ich die IS-111 gegen die F111 was, that I decided to buy the IS 111. Reasons: More race feeling and more control with a race sail. On the other side jibing is much easier with the F 111. It depends on you if you want more race feeling or buy a board which is easier to handle.

walter
walter 1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2009, 05:25 AM   #5
BelSkorpio

I have the same question about the IS101 or F101. Probably here, the same thing is valid, but shouldn't the jibe get easier on smaller volume ISonics ? In general, does the difference between futura and isonic (also on the level of speed) get smaller with smaller volumes or just the opposite ? I like to be the fastest (although I never am , but I also enjoy fancy jibes. When you say that the isonic is more technical, do you mean that only the jibe is more difficult or that also other elements are more difficult ? Examples ? Which one of the two for instance can handle more foot pressure on the fin without spinning out ? Which one is better in heavy chop ? I heard that the Isonics need more sail power. Does it mean that the futura's are faster with the same sail size ? Sorry about all those questions, but I appreciate all comments because I cannot make up my mind.
BelSkorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2009, 05:35 AM   #6
Vict90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelSkorpio View Post
I have the same question about the IS101 or F101. Probably here, the same thing is valid, but shouldn't the jibe get easier on smaller volume ISonics ? In general, does the difference between futura and isonic (also on the level of speed) get smaller with smaller volumes or just the opposite ? I like to be the fastest (although I never am , but I also enjoy fancy jibes. When you say that the isonic is more technical, do you mean that only the jibe is more difficult or that also other elements are more difficult ? Examples ? Which one of the two for instance can handle more foot pressure on the fin without spinning out ? Which one is better in heavy chop ? I heard that the Isonics need more sail power. Does it mean that the futura's are faster with the same sail size ? Sorry about all those questions, but I appreciate all comments because I cannot make up my mind.
good questions, waitin for answers!
Old 30th October 2009, 04:17 PM   #7
kvda

good questions indeed, hopefully Jesper Orth can answer, he has helped me a lot before.
kvda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2009, 11:45 PM   #8
Ken

My thoughts, which may be of some help.

I have an iS 111 and a similar volume HiFly bump and jump board. I can't speak directly to the iS or Futura 101's, but I feel confident that the Futura will be the more enjoyable board for most freeride sailors. Only those committed to racing slalom or that like to master challenges will love the iS.

Because the iS has a wider tail, it is a little more difficult to jibe, but it will plane quicker than the Futura. There are a lot of board design issues that determine how easy a board jibes, but that could be a lengthy discussion (tail width, tail volume, soft or hard rails, fin, flat or V bottom, cutouts and rocker).

The iS board rides rougher than the Futura in tight chop. Open water chop is spread out enough that the iS does fine. When maxed out, the iS can be a very scary ride in rough water.

The outboard straps on the iS allow a lot of leverage on a larger fin, not too unlike a mini Formula board. It goes upwind pretty well. The iS doesn't jump or chop hop well because of the outboard straps.

The iS is faster in protected flat water and small chop, but in rough water, sailor skill will determine which is faster. Intermediate or even advanced sailors will probably find the Futura faster in rough water, because it is more forgiving, smoother and easier to sail.

Hope this helps. I too would like to see what others have to say about the board comparison.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 05:01 AM   #9
Screamer

For Vict90 I believe a Futura is a better choice. Generally, if you're an intermediate freerider sailing 120-130l boards, and haven't tried any slaloms before, better to stay with what you know. At least until you try a slalom for a few sessions.

BelSkorpio
iS is more technical because of several factors: it is short and wide so it's hard to slog; also harder to tack; it will plane earlier with the right technique (weight placement and a few pumps), but if you just stand there waiting for the wind to pull you on the plane, you may end up planing LATER than on a freeride board; just sailing it in the straight line requires more concentration and effort, especially through chop; and gybes require more precision and commitment. If you can live with the above, you WILL go faster, and in a wider range of up/downwind angles (which is important to me, cruising rather than bafing). With a same sail in the same (not too heavy) conditions, I'd say iS will beat a Futura every time - IF a rider is up to it (I don't mean a pro, but see above). One more thing: you can match a Futura to a camless sail very well (or you can also use a cammed freerace), which is not such a good idea on an iS.

Everyone of us has a comfort zone. Outside of that zone, the fastest board in the world won't help you, it will just make your life miserable. For example, where I sail, in 25-30+ knots and the resulting swell/chop, I wouldn't ride a slalom if you paid me. It's way too fast, directional, wants to be ridden with the hammer down all the time, and wants to take off. So I'm much more comfortable on a Kombat or similar, and faster as well.

So it's very hard to predict will an iS be faster for you in your conditions. I think you won't be able to make a decision, even with all the advice from Jesper or others, until you sail an iS and compare it to a Futura for yourself. Some freeride sailors I know, like slaloms (I do, but mostly in sizes larger than 100l), others hate them.

Good luck

Last edited by Screamer; 31st October 2009 at 05:05 AM.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 07:22 AM   #10
BelSkorpio

Hi Screamer,

I agree with you, in 25-30+ knots, I'm on my Mistral Naish wave board of 85 liters, focusing on waves/chop and taking care that my jumps are not too high. 10 years ago, I broke my leg, landing from a jump of > 4m in Cabezo/Tenerife. Now, I'm 44 years old and my wild hairs have been cut in the mean time. So in this conditions I'm not interested in being the fastest with slalom equipment.
The IS101 or F101, I would like to use more in 15-25 knots conditions, mainly with sails 7.5 (NP V8), 6.3 (GUN race/freeride) and perhaps a 5.5. I'm weighing 86kg. In these conditions, when the water is fairly flat (protected lakes next to the sea, as well as open sea), I would like to be really fast. Thinking of buying a GPS as well. I'm for sure not afraid of challenges as long as they stay in my comfort zone, like you stated so nicely. Slogging/tacking is of no importance. I wouldn't be doing it anyway. I'm one of the lucky bastards that can sail in very stable wind conditions of the North Sea (Belgium/Holland). If only the temperatures would be higher, I guess there's no better place for windsurfing.
I'm thinking more and more about the IS101 but the only thing that still bothers me, is that when I sail in open sea, it can sometimes become quite choppy, especially in the 20-25 knots conditions. I'm wondering how difficult the IS101 will ride & jibe in these conditions. My 6.3 gun sail has no cambers. Why is it not such a good idea on an IS ?
BelSkorpio is offline   Reply With Quote