Old 12th November 2009, 12:26 AM   #1
emir633

Default not to get catapult

what should we do not to get catapult??
emir633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 05:29 PM   #2
agrelon

Sheet out and really force your front foot into the straps when you feel a catapult is near. If your back foot is already in the straps it will generally save you as you can pull up on it to get lower and drive the board forward with the extra power.

Generally I get catapulted when I'm in the straps during a long lull and when I'm leaning too far forward to try to keep speed and end up getting catapulted by a gust due to my unstable position,

so keep scanning the water for incoming gusts. Although this requires constant mental effort (being focused 100% of the time), it will save you physical effort as every time a gust catches you off guard and you get catapulted, it's that much more effort to uphaul/waterstart again.

Finally, although you want to be in the harness as often as possible to increase your time on the water, being in the harness while not planning and not in the straps can easily lead to a catapult if you're not paying attention to the windward water for signs of gusts. So if the conditions are really gusty try to get the board planning and stable and then get into the harness.

Hope this helps.
Old 20th November 2009, 06:02 PM   #3
mario.milhazes

Hi

I used to catapult when getting my back foot in the footstrap. I used to get in harness lines, then starting planning and get the front foot in the straps and then move back and get the back foot straps, but a lot of times with the gust or chop water i would miss the back strap and then catapult.

I solved this problem by doing the following:

1 - Get in Harness line
2 - Getting planing
3 - Get in front foot strap
4 - Out of harness line
5 - Get in back footstrap
6 - Get in harness line again

This avoids me a lot of catapults now.....thank God.... :
mario.milhazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 11:24 PM   #4
agrelon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario.milhazes View Post
Hi

I used to catapult when getting my back foot in the footstrap. I used to get in harness lines, then starting planning and get the front foot in the straps and then move back and get the back foot straps, but a lot of times with the gust or chop water i would miss the back strap and then catapult.

I solved this problem by doing the following:

1 - Get in Harness line
2 - Getting planing
3 - Get in front foot strap
4 - Out of harness line
5 - Get in back footstrap
6 - Get in harness line again

This avoids me a lot of catapults now.....thank God.... :
Definitely being slow to get in the backstrap will often result in catapults. Now that I'm getting in the back strap pretty much without a problem it has saved me, as I explained earlier, many times.