Old 2nd December 2009, 07:29 PM   #1
Floyd

Cool Jamaica

Anybody know anything about windsurfing in Jamaica. ???
Wind stats on Windfinder are plain wrong; there`s loads more than site cliams but there`s just no kit on island. (I cant find any)
And BA wouldn`t carry mine !!!

Any info would be good. !!
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2009, 10:21 PM   #2
Ken

Floyd,

I have been to Jamaica four times in the last four years. Not windsurfing but going to Sandals resorts. They have really old HiFly poly boards and small sails, but I haven't used them. I go to relax, scuba dive, kayak, sail Hobie cats, golf, eat and drink (all inclusive at Sandals).

During the four visits, one in July and three in November, all at different locations on the island, there seems to be trade winds from the east, averaging 10-20 knots most days. I have usually been on the north side of the island between Montego Bay and Ocho Rios, so the wind is always side shore. Always nice swells outside the reef and very flat water inside.

There is a barrier reef that surrounds the entire island, usually about 200 meters off shore. There are plenty of cuts through the reef, so getting outside is possible. There seems to be a lot of places to launch, but security could be a concern.

I have no idea about rental gear. I have never seen anyone windsurfing accept at the Sandals resorts, and few take advantage of the opportunity. Basically, it's beginner gear for teaching.

The island has possibilites, but I can't be of much help.

Last edited by Ken; 3rd December 2009 at 11:32 PM.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2009, 06:18 AM   #3
Floyd

Cool

Hi Ken
Thanks for reply. Your findings very similar to mine.Been 3 times now never seen any evidence of windsurfing which seems very strange considering the superb conditions.
I`ve staid on South of island (Treasure Beach) which seems to have very reliable cross on 20 knots ; with plenty of good launch spots.No room on inside of reef but nice swell on outside. Locals talk of bad currents but there`s boats; swimmers and sea kayaks going out.

Just cant understand why so little interest either from locals or from tourist board promoting windsurfing ???

Been all over place never seen such good conditions with so little use ??? Very strange ???

No kiters either ???!!!
+ What happened to Brian Thalma ??? (in Jamaica?)
Old 3rd December 2009, 06:31 AM   #4
Floyd

Wasnt Brian Thalma it was Brian Schurton ?
Apologies
Old 3rd December 2009, 12:29 PM   #5
Unregistered

Its Brian Talma and he lives on Barbados.
A truly great waterman and all round good bloke.
Old 3rd December 2009, 04:07 PM   #6
mark h

Brian Schurton is still there, its his second session in Jamaica. Here's his site.

http://www.jamaicasportsvacations.co...ndsurfing.html

The toys:
iSW44 - - iSW49 - iSW53 - iSW58 - iS107 - iS137 - F161.
North Warps: F2012 5.2m, 5.7m, 6.3m, 7m, 8m, 8.6m, 9.5m F2006 11m.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

mark h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2009, 06:49 PM   #7
Unregistered

Cool

I`ve never got a reply from that site and its got precious little info on it !!! Not sure there`s a place to hire kit from at Falmouth??? What kit have they got ?????

Brian THalma used to run a place at Mobay ??? I think; but had shut down when I visited 2 years ago.

Agree its strange ??? I gave up looking !!!
Old 7th December 2009, 03:34 AM   #8
Floyd

Cool

Been here 10 days now. Could easy have sailed on 7 of those with 5 metre on nice rolling swell and very little chop.Not massive waves but rideable. Nobody sailing anywhere !!! Bringing my own kit next time !!!