Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 8th April 2010, 03:01 AM   #1
BelSkorpio

Default isonic 101/2009 - NP RS:Racing 6.7 2008

I've seen some NP RS:Racing 6.7 sails of 2008 for sale.

How about the combination with an isonic 101 ?

I've also read some negative things about these sails. More specific about cracked luffs and bad camber rotation. Anyone with experience ?

How many cambers does this sail have ?
BelSkorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 07:18 AM   #2
mark h

Have a ganders at this review, well written and clear. The second link was from Peter Bijl giving constructive replies.

http://www.peterman.dk/windsurf-NP-RS-series-780gb.htm

http://www.peterman.dk/windsurf-NP-p...bijl-780gb.htm

The toys:
iSW44 - - iSW49 - iSW53 - iSW58 - iS107 - iS137 - F161.
North Warps: F2012 5.2m, 5.7m, 6.3m, 7m, 8m, 8.6m, 9.5m F2006 11m.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

mark h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 07:25 PM   #3
Chris Pressler

Hi Bel Skorpio,
I don´t know the sail, but the iSONIC 101 very well and would say that a 6,7 size suits perfect for this board!

cheers,
Chris

Chris Pressler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 09:32 AM   #4
Philip

The current NP race /slalom sails are a different design - see their website.

I have a number NP race sails of the same generation as under discussion here.

Rotation is not bad at all - just have to be patient and it happens. The price for rock steady performance. The Slalom equivalent is easier all round but not quite the top end stability.

One cam broke under warranty several seasons back but since then all good - seems to me that if they are going to fail it is going to be sooner than later.

Would I buy them again. Definitely.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 05:20 PM   #5
BelSkorpio

Yes, well the article of peterman.dk scares the hell of out of me.

Nevertheless, the offer was so attractive and really hard to ignore.

So, I've bought the NP RS:Racing 6.7.

I was hoping to test it out this weekend, but again temperatures below 10 degrees Celcius. Too cold for me.
Old 10th April 2010, 01:14 AM   #6
kvda

I've used the RS Racing 6.7 with an isonic 101 from a friend and it's a great combo. Be sure to use a mast with the right bend curve, like X9 or X6, that's really important for the RS Racing. But then, the windrange is huge.

But Belskorpio, too cold?? Your from Belgium right, I've had my 9th session since february last week in Holland, it really isn't too cold anymore!
kvda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2010, 01:59 AM   #7
BelSkorpio

Hi kvda,

The guy from who I bought the sail, warned me about X9 masts. They seem to break easily. I guess that confirms the story of peterman.dk.

I've just rigged up the rs racing in my garden.
I've tried it with a unifiber 430 and with a tribord 460 mast and couldn't see much difference. On both masts the sail looks OK.
I'm still curious about the camber rotation because there was not much wind in my garden, so I had to push them over. I noticed that when they flip over, they all flip over together real fast, so I guess that's ok.

PS: I still remember that in february it was freezing cold. Respect, man.
Old 10th April 2010, 03:22 PM   #8
Philip

Yep they do all go over and pull like a train right off the mark. X6 mast is the way to go and a good downhaul tool is nice to have to get it on the rigging mark on the sleeve in respect to the mast join when the base height is set correctly. NP website has it all.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2010, 04:18 PM   #9
kvda

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelSkorpio View Post
Hi kvda,

The guy from who I bought the sail, warned me about X9 masts. They seem to break easily. I guess that confirms the story of peterman.dk.

I've just rigged up the rs racing in my garden.
I've tried it with a unifiber 430 and with a tribord 460 mast and couldn't see much difference. On both masts the sail looks OK.
With those masts it's a no go. The way a sail looks is something different then how it works, this sail won't work with those masts.
If you don't want to invest in the right mast, don't go for a high performance race sail. I agree with Philip: at least go for a X6 then. Also Reptile is said to make a good flex top option mast for the RS Racing but I don't have experience with Reptile masts myself.

Rotating of this sail won't be a big issue, due to the self adjusting ultracam.
kvda is offline   Reply With Quote