Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 6th December 2006, 12:04 AM   #1
hans kleingeld

Send a message via MSN to hans kleingeld
Default Difference between Starsurfer M and GO 129

I am wondering what the difference is between the Starsurfer M and GO 129. According to the specs the GO 129 has a lot of simularities to the Carve 133. The Starsurfer M looks a lot like the Areo Kombat 127. Besides this the Starsurfer M is specialy aimed for both adults and children and the GO is especially for adults.

My wife and me are searching for a board for having both fun and performance. At times we also will have friends surfing on it on a basic level. My wife is already using footstraps, surfing in harness and planing around. For me it will be just a board for having fun with lower winds.

Both boards seem to fill these demands very nicely, but which is the better option?

Thanks in advance, Hans
hans kleingeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2006, 04:26 AM   #2
James

Default RE: Difference between Starsurfer M and GO 129

I'm not with starboard, but here's what I think:

Either the GO or Carve would be good for you and your wife. But none of the boards you mention are big enough for adult beginners to learn on. So if you really want to teach your friends you would have to get a larger GO (170 + liters), a START, a Rio, or a Phantom. I'd probably go for the Phantom or the Rio M.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2006, 01:17 AM   #3
hans kleingeld

Send a message via MSN to hans kleingeld

Thanks, the board will besides our own use at times be used by friends which partly are novices in the surfing business. If they are really a starter I will rent a board at the local shop at the beach.

Acording to me the Go 129 is very simular to the carve 133 which means both stability, comfort, perfomance and fun. A true allrounder as it seems to be. However the Starsurfer M also seems to fill these demands.

Hope this gives new insights in my question!

Thanks, Hans
hans kleingeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2006, 05:16 AM   #4
James

Hi Hans,

The reason I recommended the Carve or GO is because I have ridden the Carve 133 and liked it, and I have heard good things about the very similar GO 129.

On the other hand, I have only heard complaints about the Starsurfer.

The starsurfer is the same shape as the Kombat / Aero, which, according to some people on this forum, doesn't plane well for it's size. It's also heavier than the Kombat / Aero which probably reduces it's planing ability more. But if you usually have lots of wind, and want a board that has good highwind control for it's size, the starsurfer might be ok. Hopefully someone from starboard will answer your question, too.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2006, 03:56 PM   #5
Phill104

I have had a go on a large starsurfer and it's actually quite a nice board. It is heavier than the aero but not by too much. It's quite tough and may be a good learning board for the lighter adult. Another big advantage is that it costs loads less than the carve.

If you need performance then it's not the board for you, but if you need a fun board that works well on the flat or even in light wind wave conditions then it is not a bad board

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
All the latest windsurfing news in one place.
Phill104 is offline   Reply With Quote