Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 13th May 2010, 03:46 PM   #1
agrelon

Default C3 Venom Review

Hi all,

I wanted to dedicate a thread about my ordering/impressions of my C3 Venom 36 for anyone considering a high performance fin for their board, but not too sure about ordering online, etc.

This is the fin recommended by Remi Vila as the best match for Futura 93l.

I haven't had any time on the water with it yet but I just wanted to start this thread off by saying how fantastic the service is. I ordered the fin on Monday, and it has arrived as promised, 3 days later. The guys at C3 are really good with their emails so the couple of issues I had with payment were solved quickly.

With regards to the fin itself, the finish is impeccable and it comes with a very durable and protective cover. However, the fin doesn't come with bolts so make sure you keep your old ones if you're buying this fin.

Hopefully I'll get some time on the water with it in the next couple of days. I'll post my first impressions on this thread.

Cheers,

Adrien
Old 14th May 2010, 09:56 PM   #2
Meric

you received them in 3 days! wow! where do you live? NZ? and how did it go with the customs?
Thanks
Aymeric

Last edited by Meric; 14th May 2010 at 10:17 PM.
Meric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 10:31 PM   #3
agrelon

Good point, Meric! Forgot to mention I live in Hong Kong.

The NZ Post tracking system works like a charm, I knew exactly when my fin left NZ and when it arrived in HK.

Hopefully I'll get some good wind tomorrow for a first run!
Old 14th May 2010, 10:37 PM   #4
Wasp

Hi agrelon,

Fin issues are very much a matter of taste and subjective impressions, and of course it’s interesting to learn some recommendations from the “pro” people (for instance Remi Vila). However, such valuations inherent a risk of being a little biased, so I really look forward to learn your experiences with your C3 Venom 36 cm fin.

By the way, here’s a guy that doesn’t seem to fancy the performance of C3 Venoms that much: http://www.peterman.dk/windsurf-on-slalom-fins01.htm .

Regards,
wasp
Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2010, 07:51 AM   #5
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi Wasp,

Just to know, C3 Venom is not my favorite fins for iSonic (Slalom boards) Deboichet SL4 and R16 but on the Futura the Venom is perfect, very good combination of gliding, comfort, top end speed and very good jibe.

Anyway better of course to try than anything else.

All the best

Can answer if you have any questions on this following boards :

Carve 111, 121, 131, 141, 151 & 161
Futura 93, 101, 111, 121, 131 & 141.
iSonic 80, 87, 90, 97, 107, 110, 117 & 130
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

UltraSonic 147
Formula Experience One Design
Phantom Race 377 & 377 L / 320
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phantom 295 L :

Formula 167 :

Racing Serinity Cat Concept
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2010, 09:35 AM   #6
agrelon

Well with regards to what the guy is saying in the review, I'm glad I took a fin much larger than my Drake, as he's obviously underestimated how much bigger a theoretical fin size he needed in the Venoms (on the website they say 2-3cm, he's only taken 1). Also, this guy is going from Deboichet, which is up there as one of the best brands for insane fins, to C3, also a very well reputed brand which has come up really quickly.

Most of the good reviews have indeed been on Futuras, and not iSonics, and have been for people going from the stock drake fin -> C3 venom. NONE of those people have been dissapointed, at least in the reviews I have read.

But again, it is as you say to one's own personal preferences. I still can't imagine how I would dissapointed, given the good things I've heard and how people have been telling me my current fin is undersized... Time will tell.
Old 15th May 2010, 04:32 PM   #7
agrelon

OK. First test on the C3 Venom 36 today.

First off, I wanted to use a sail close to what Remi recommended for this board/fin combo (6.0 -6.5) so I had to whip out my old HSM 6.0m camberless. The sail was badly rigged, and worked TERRIBLY. First time I've been catapulted in about 3 months of sailing.... something which never happened with my North. Also, in the gusts, the sail would just blow out instead of accelerating. The bottom panel was completely gonna by the end of the session and there was a hole in one of the top ones.

Wind probably peaking just over 20 knts in the gusts, though I had to slug for about 20 mins to get to the wind which was only at the far end of the bay. Here, the water state was rough, with big chop about 80cm-100cm in amplitude.

First thing I notice, easier to get upwind slugging with the fin over my 30cm drake. This was expected as the Venom is a LOT bigger than the drake.

First good gust, in both straps, the whole setup feels a lot more solid with this fin, probably a bit more pressure on the back leg, but never too much. Hard, big chop, board almost always out of the water, but it's always easy to keep the board under control (though I'm fighting with my stupid sail...).

Despite the added 6cm, I never had to dig my heels in to keep the board undercontrol, ie. the board is nicely balanced.

On my downwind leg back to the beach I start getting nicely powered up, then an additional gust hits, (this one well over 20knts), which blows me even more downwind (again, I blame the *&^% sail more than the board/fin for this as it simply wasn't twisting out the excess power) it becomes impossible to turn the board back upwind for more control, blasting fullspeed trying to hold on for a couple of seconds before my inevitable dip in the water.

During this out of control run, I beat my previous best on the GPS (this is my second outing with it) with 25knots. Previously, I had only managed 22knts with the drake and my North.

Had I had my North at the exact moment, I'm 99% sure I could've hit 30knts or more as I could've kept everything under control and accelerated even more.

No comments on jibing yet, as I only ever did lightwind jibes today and tacks.

When the wind is closer to shore I will change fins every 30 mins or so to get a better idea of the differences, though for the moment I'm happy. I'm sure it will work really well with my North, which I didn't feel excelled with my Drake.

Summary so far:

- Board/nose rides slightly higher due to more lift
- I felt it planed a little bit earlier
- Pointed better in slugging
- Had a bit more pressure to push against
- Good grip even when getting airborn (intentionally, or unintentionally)

Hopefully my North will get fixed soon, as it's similar in program to the Severne Overdrive, which Remi recommended.
Old 18th May 2010, 06:13 PM   #8
Vando

Hi Agrelon glad ya happy so far with the venoms.

I think fins are a very personal choice it depends alot on riders weight, technique and equipment.
Ive been using the Venoms for the past 2 years with the Isonics with very good success.
I was pretty much sold on them the first time I borrowed one off a mate.
The most important thing is to choose the right size in the venoms get that right and you shouldn’t be disappointed.

I recently purchased a 44 and 34 C3 Sting which is new model from C3.
It has a completely different feel its a lot more lifty then the Venoms still very quick and secure.
I think the big boys will like the Stings very much.
One thing ive noticed is with the venoms I ran my mast track further back then recommended and the sting I run further forward just cause of the added lift.
Get ya tuning right and the Isonics fly with either fin

My Weapons
2013 ISonic117w, 97, Fu93 and Speed Special 49
Vando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 07:15 PM   #9
agrelon

Hi Vando,

I was thinking about this too because my nose was staying quite safely close to the water last time I sailed. My mast track was 1cm in front of the recommended settings, though next time I go out (hopefully my North will be fixed by then) I'm going for 30knts vMax, so I'm gonna run the track further back and see what happens.

I'm also going to experiment with some longer harness lines to get my rig further away and be able to run my boom higher.

My quest for >30knts has just begun, I just need good wind in my bay where the chop is less brutal, good rig board tuning and it's a done deal.
Old 24th May 2010, 07:39 AM   #10
RadiantX

Hi all,

I also recently purchased a couple of Venoms for my F101. A 38cm and a 36cm. I'd like to possibly add a 40cm for those lighter sessions. So far I have only used the 38cm a few times but am very impressed. Both times in rough 18-20 knots conditions with a 6.5m sail. A huge improvement over the stock Drake and even my Select Sl7. Better upwind ability on and off the plane. More control and no spin out which is a common occurrence for me. Looking forward to more time on the water with these fins. Delivery, like agrelon was about 3 days to Australia. Quality product with the fin covers being the best I've seen. Also no fin box fitting issues which I have had with other fins - which is no big deal but good when they fit nicely first off.

Last edited by RadiantX; 24th May 2010 at 07:43 AM.
RadiantX is offline   Reply With Quote