Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 4th June 2010, 01:05 AM   #1
dominic72

Default largest sail for my 80L EVo

Hi there

nice to be back not for any troubles this time, just a tip. I've got a 80L EVo and a 105L Kombat. QUiver is 4.7, 5.3, 6.5 Gator and 5.9 S-1 (from 2008)

need to change the S-1 as it's proving a bit too nervous of a sail for my taste, especially when overpowered. also, I like more robust sails not being a freestyle freak and getting washed up frequently in the waves.

I thought I'd change to a powerful 5.7, which would be a better much I guess with my wave sail, the EVo, without too much sacrifice for blasting on my kombat.

is it correct or shall stand by a 6ish-meter sail even when waveriding on the EVo?

options are:
5.7 GAtor (expensive, only comes in the new 2010 line)
5.7 Blade (maybe too wave-oriented for my Kombat?)
6 Gator (maybe too much on the top end of EVo range)

which is the best match? is the Blade more powerful than the gator/S-1 so I can go down in size without losing planing power?

thanks all, aloha
dominic72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 02:39 AM   #2
John1

You better buy an Ezzy wave sail (Panther 5,8) and you have all the power and stability you need for your EVO 80. The Ezzy sails are typical forward powersails with minor force for the back hand. I have used the Ezzy sails for at least 10 years now, they have great durability.
with regards,
John J.
John1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 03:28 AM   #3
dominic72

hi John, thanks for your tip but I'd have to change my whole quiver than..

I have sailed ezzys and I think they have quite a different feel from severnes (except maybe the Blade?) which I apprecciate being lighter sails in my opinion

also, I do like the feel and ease of use of the gator, but I don't want to buy a '10 one given the high price ('09 only comes either 6 or 5.5 which is too close to my 5.3)
Old 4th June 2010, 02:58 PM   #4
Ola_H
TEAM

Dominic,

I can't give much specific advice on the sails as I have no personal experience with Severne. But regarding the Evo 80, I'd say the max effective sail size depends a bit on your weight. I'm 70 and for me even a 6.3 can be made to work. But if you're a bit heavier or want to free up the board a bit more for wave riding, I figure something closer to 5.7 will be better.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 07:05 PM   #5
dominic72

Hi Ola

I'm 85. Though I find the '09 Evo floaty enough for blasting on a 5.9, I wondered if a high-draft, powerful 5.7 (Blade) would free up the board better than a 6 for waveriding

cheers
Old 5th June 2010, 10:59 PM   #6
Ola_H
TEAM

It's very hard to say without knowing the actual sails. Maybe someone else can help out.

But in general, it is not always the case that a smaller more powerful sail will make the board/rig combo feel "more free" and maneuverable than a bigger, less powerful sail. I'd say that it might be the case when you are in a wind range just around the planing threshold. But if the wind picks up a bit a slightly flatter and better "breathing" sail can make the whole package feel more nimble despite being bigger in actual dimensions.
Old 7th June 2010, 09:28 PM   #7
dominic72

thanks Ola I got the message. think the 5.7 Blade would work well on my Evo. at the same time, probabile not too bad to keep my 5.9 S-1. won't consider buying the 6.0 Gator though, sounds like it'd bog the sail down a bit and I don't wanna take that risk.

reading back my previous message I noticed I wrote I'm 85...! wish me good look for my next high jump, let see how my joints will take it<! :-)

Ola I'lÚl seize the chance, I've a xchangce to swap my '09 Evo for a 2009 Kode same volume (80L)

is the Kode a much more radical board, one which would make it more difficoult for me to make progress in wave sailing and to get blasting even when the planing threshold is pretty low for a wave board

?

all the best, it's so useful to ask you guys these questions that otherwise I'd only raise at the beach ...
Old 7th June 2010, 11:08 PM   #8
Ray Timm

I consider the K80 a more difficult board to progress in general wave sailing than the E80 because it sails smaller, even though both boards are quoted at 80, and doesn't take a bigger sail as well as the E80. I have both boards and like to sail both of them, but I generally will take out my K80 when it is windier.

Last edited by Ray Timm; 7th June 2010 at 11:16 PM. Reason: grammar error
Ray Timm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 02:13 PM   #9
Ola_H
TEAM

Yes, like Ray Says, the Kode 80 is not only a different type of board but also in practice a much smaller board - more comparable to an EVO 75. For you it will for sure be a more high wind oriented board. And Yes, I'd say the Kode is a bit harder to progress on when it comes to wave riding. But for pure sideshore conditions or for general blasting it is very good.