Old 20th June 2010, 06:24 PM   #1
Unregistered

Cool Blue Horizon Rhodes

Going to Rhodes (Blue Horizon) end July beg August.
Weight 100k.

Whats best kit to take. Thinking 5 /5.7/ 7 metre; cant decide between 105 litre or 124 litre boards. (Only room for one !!!)

Any ideas/help.

Thanks
Old 20th June 2010, 11:27 PM   #2
BelSkorpio

Hi,

I've been there already 2 times and will definitely go there again with my sun this year at the end of August. It has become one of my favourite spots.

My weight is 86kg and I use 80% of the time sails between 6-7 m2.
During the months of July and August, the thermal wind called Meltemi, is almost every day present and blows the strongest in the afternoon.
There are days that it really blows 25+, but it's for sure not the average. The average is more like 15-20 knots.

I always rent my equipment there, so I can choose between different boards and sails.
If I had to choose 1 board, I would definitely take the 105 liter board.
In your case, with your weight, I would choose the 124 liter board.

Keep in mind that when the wind picks up it gets quite bump & jumpy. Not really waves, but sometimes nasty chop, high enough to launch you into the air if you hit it steep and hard enough.

At Blue Horizon (the best hotel & location for windsurfing) the wind blows the strongest and perfectly side shore. The F2 Pro surf center is right at the beach of the hotel.

For the wind, there's only 1 better place on the island, i.e. Prasonisi, which is completely in the south. There you have at least 10 knots more of wind, but unfortunately no decent hotels. It's a desert, good for wild campers.

Hope this helps.
BelSkorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2010, 05:04 PM   #3
Unregistered

Smile

Thats great. Many thanks.
Leaving kit at Procentre (Storage and rescue for 1 month)
Might bump into you but leave 14th Aug ?
thanks again.
Old 21st June 2010, 08:56 PM   #4
leysenkr

Hello

I went there last year in September and wind started in the morning with 3bft and evolved to +7bft around 15h. I think it is better if you save your transfer cost and rent your equipment in Rhodos. All equipment is trimmed for you and you can change whenever you want. I saw a lot off switching last year and that is concerning sails and boards.
leysenkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 03:03 AM   #5
BelSkorpio

Hi compatriot,

How many days did you have +7bft ?
I was there last year 1 week and the year before for 1 week in August.
I've seen only once such a day.

About saving the transfer costs and renting the equipment over there gets expensive when you're planning to stay for 3 weeks. If I still remember well, the cost of equipment rental is +/- 200 euro for 1 week. It is a luxuary of course. A green carpet leads you over the hot sand to the sea

Unregistered, I'll be there the last week of August, so that means that you're already gone. Have fun, I'm sure you will !
BelSkorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 08:15 PM   #6
Unregistered

Dont fancy paying board hire for a month !!! (800 ish)

Pretty sure if I`ve got 5,5.7,6.4 and a 7 and a board that works with each (fairly well) I should get enough sailing ???(taking 109 litres ?)

Its costing 230 to get kit there;store it for month;transfering it (and me) to and from airport/hotel and rescue for duration.And I`m on my own kit (100% C masts and carbon boom) and its insured. !!

I`ve hired in past (lots of times) and you normally end up enjoying sailing on one particular board and with what I save I can buy a couple of new sails when I get homew !!!

Each to his own !!!
Old 23rd June 2010, 10:15 PM   #7
leysenkr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Dont fancy paying board hire for a month !!! (800 ish)

Pretty sure if I`ve got 5,5.7,6.4 and a 7 and a board that works with each (fairly well) I should get enough sailing ???(taking 109 litres ?)

Its costing 230 to get kit there;store it for month;transfering it (and me) to and from airport/hotel and rescue for duration.And I`m on my own kit (100% C masts and carbon boom) and its insured. !!

I`ve hired in past (lots of times) and you normally end up enjoying sailing on one particular board and with what I save I can buy a couple of new sails when I get homew !!!

Each to his own !!!
I was talking about One week or 10 days.
Old 23rd June 2010, 10:17 PM   #8
leysenkr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelSkorpio View Post
Hi compatriot,

How many days did you have +7bft ?
I was there last year 1 week and the year before for 1 week in August.
I've seen only once such a day.

About saving the transfer costs and renting the equipment over there gets expensive when you're planning to stay for 3 weeks. If I still remember well, the cost of equipment rental is +/- 200 euro for 1 week. It is a luxuary of course. A green carpet leads you over the hot sand to the sea

Unregistered, I'll be there the last week of August, so that means that you're already gone. Have fun, I'm sure you will !
6 of 8 days.