Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 10th December 2006, 11:00 AM   #1
wsurfn

Default Mcguyver Jackson

Help!

When I tried to remove the my Streamlined Strap-On boom head that was on my carbon boom, the hex socket bolts that hold it together were seized up. I unfortunately stripped the hex socket head with the allen key trying to get them free.

Ideas how to get it free without destroying the boom head?
wsurfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2006, 12:06 PM   #2
o2bnme

Send a message via AIM to o2bnme Send a message via Yahoo to o2bnme
Default RE: Mcguyver Jackson

Sounds like you need to treat the screw like it is a rivet and use a drill? I've never had to do this, but it might be the only option. ??? Just guessing at a solution. Hopefully I'm not steering you wrong!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
o2bnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2006, 04:39 PM   #3
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi wsurfn (Mark,....right?):
o2bnme (Bill) has it right.
Best way is to find a drill press and clamp the boom head down snugly
to the drill press table (or hold it lightly in a vice attached to the drill press table.
Use a cut off allen wrench (the size that stripped out) as a centering device.
Then select a drill slightly larger than the diameter of the screw (not the screw head) and carefully drill down through the head of the SS (CRES) alllen screws until the head separates from the threaded body of the screw.
Take a small drift pin and punch the remaining threaded portion of the screw out of the hole in the boom head.
I've done several of them this way.
You can do them with a hand held drill motor (either plug in or cordless) but you get a much better job and better centering with the drill press.
To avoid this problem in the future, buy a can of "Never-Seize" anti-seize compound and put a small dab in the holes before you reinstall new screws (which you can get from Dave Dominy at Streamlined).
The Never-Seize will prevent galvanic corrosion from causing the white aluminum oxides that have caused you problems here.
8 oz. brush top Never-Seize can be obtained under the Part Number
NSBT-8. Most bearing supply stores either have it in stock or can order it for you. (Kaman Bearing/Motion Industries... and similar industrial supply warehouses).
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2006, 11:13 AM   #4
wsurfn

Thanks Roger!

You gave me the confidence to drill them out. I used my hand drill. It worked out great. I will contact Dave Dominy and get some new bolts.

Thanks again,

Mark
wsurfn is offline   Reply With Quote