Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 15th December 2006, 04:18 AM   #1
mark h

Default 04 Evo 92

Hi
Does anyone know if an Evo 92 will be OK as a easy/high wind coastal board for a 105kg guy. I don't wave sail but when its nukin-it, i need something easier than my slalom kit (no fun when its rough). Theres an Evo 92 going real cheap locally and I'm tempted, but, with it being a dedicated wave board I'm not sure if it will work as a high wind, rough water coastal cruiser and B & J board. I figured if a get a bigger 26-28cm fin it might improve its straight line sailing!!! I'v just picked up a Severne Blade 4.7m and will grab a 5.3/5.7m soon. Theres a couple of local light weight sailors who use smaller evo's as all-round boards and love them (they dont wave sail), but there hot shots (I'm not). Would be good to hear from others using this board for this role. I know that a Kombat is going to be the right board, but that going to be double money, so Evo's lookin attractive!!!

Cheers

The toys:
iSW44 - - iSW49 - iSW53 - iSW58 - iS107 - iS137 - F161.
North Warps: F2012 5.2m, 5.7m, 6.3m, 7m, 8m, 8.6m, 9.5m F2006 11m.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

mark h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2006, 01:38 PM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

Default RE: 04 Evo 92

I don't mind riding my EVOs in B&J conditions, but they are not really made for it. They are high rockered boards and are not so natural in a straighline. This applies to a high degree to the 04 92 (later models being a bit less rockered). Many people do use EVO as high wind boards though (you gave examples yourself), so I wouldn't say they does not _work_ for this. I don't think it will be more problematic for you as a heavyweight as long as you'll be firmly powered up.

A bigger fin will help the EVO in some aspects, but not really transform the general feel.

So, the bottom line is that it will be taking a little bit of a chance when getting an EVO (like you said, a Kombat would have been a safe bet) but since the board also comes at a good price (which IS a part of the equation). Also think about how the second hand market for an EVO 92 looks where you live. If it will be possible to sell the board without a too substantial loss, this would work in favour for buyin one. Another issue that work in favour is that you can get advice from other poeple riding EVOs at your spot, so you're likely to have a good chance of getting the hang on how to sail it effectively.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2006, 07:27 PM   #3
mark h

Default RE: 04 Evo 92

Hi Ola
Thanks for the good explanation, will chat to the local guys before buying.

Many thanks
Mark

The toys:
iSW44 - - iSW49 - iSW53 - iSW58 - iS107 - iS137 - F161.
North Warps: F2012 5.2m, 5.7m, 6.3m, 7m, 8m, 8.6m, 9.5m F2006 11m.

mark h is offline   Reply With Quote