Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 6th August 2010, 04:01 PM   #1
SlimShady

Default Formula Board Minor Deck Damage - Repair Question

Hi,

I've got a very minor dent in the deck of my formula board - see photo below.

Its about 1.5cm long and if I had to classify it on the damage scale I'd give it 'very minor'.

I wondered what the best way to deal with it was. I was thinking along the lines of just sealing it but not sure what to seal it up with - any suggestions ?

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deck.jpg (14.0 KB, 32 views)
SlimShady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 07:23 PM   #2
HanekomDJ

If you suck on it and it is leaking, I will use Marine Tex (will show a white mark). You other obtion is to use a reasin and a very small brush and just seal the leak area. If no leak, leave as ease.
HanekomDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 06:48 AM   #3
Mike T

Slim
Put the board out in the sun with the vent plug closed and put a small amount of bubble soap on the crack and see if it bubbles. If you have bubbles then you have a crack thru the wood and the layer of core material I would then carfully push on the area and see if it's soft at all. If it's rigid and no bubbles then just fill the void with epoxy. Ding All makes a nice little Clear epoxy surfboard repair kit just for such repairs it's uv resistant also. You can get the kit at most surf board shops or on line. I wouldn't use Marine Tex It will stand out like a sore thumb! I would probably repair it either way by sanding a small circle around the area Just to rought up the clear paint and nonskid then mix a small amout of the clear epoxy and brush it on with an acid brush until the epoxy is level with the deck. Good luck. Mike
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 06:06 AM   #4
SlimShady

Thanks guys for you replies.
SlimShady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2010, 01:10 AM   #5
Ken

My guess is that there is no problem. The wood is great at taking hits without damaging the under structure. My formula boards over the last 8 years all have had mast dents on the nose and dings in the deck without any damage needing repair.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote