Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 3rd December 2010, 02:48 PM   #1
unregistered

Default Wave sail on Futura 93

Hi,

I wonder if it is possible to use a wave sail (north ice) on a Futura 93? Or sould I go for only (free)-racesails?

I will use it in windrange 25-...kts with average waves 0,5 till 1 mtr.

thanks for your response in advange

marco
Old 3rd December 2010, 09:10 PM   #2
COACHG

Marco,
Wave sails are fine with the Futura 93. I use a Naish Force 4.5 all the time in the conditions you describe. You lose a little speed but gain maneuverability. The wave sail is great for upwind downind 360's and any other freestyle tricks you want to do during lulls or transitions.

Coachg
COACHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2010, 07:30 PM   #3
Unregistered

Thanks coachg for your reply. That makes it easier for me to choose. I didn't want to change my sails only the board :-)
I like it when you have the choice of going fast or just want to have some fun with waves.

Do you still use the same fin, or do you use an other type (wave or something else..)

best regards

marco
Old 5th December 2010, 05:17 AM   #4
COACHG

Marco,
I would suggest a fin similar to the True Ames Convert http://www.trueames.com/wind_select....s_id=5&Convert if you want to increase maneuverability. I use the True Ames Teardrop http://www.trueames.com/wind_select...._id=7&Teardrop with my wave sails for general freeriding. The Teardrop is very similar to the MFC Liquid Pro http://www.mauifin.com/fin_info.php?id=23

Again, it doesn't matter what fin you use if you push the board too hard in turns it will slide out from under you. If you really want to push a board in swells then get the Kode.

Coachg
COACHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2010, 11:23 AM   #5
agrelon

I've used a 5.6m 5 batten fsw sail on my 93l. It was very enjoyable, and pretty fast too on the gps. Super easy jibes and jumps.
Old 5th December 2010, 04:36 PM   #6
Unregistered

Thanx for the reply. About the kode I have one (kode 94 2010) But I see now I go more in the direction of speed sailing in state of B&J. I like B&J but not so much as going fast. I already mentioned that I have wave sails and do not want to sell them. So that was my question. Could I use them on the futura 93 or not.

So thanks for answering my question and if you want to add something, I like to hear from you.

gr. Marco
Old 6th December 2010, 12:08 AM   #7
agrelon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thanx for the reply. About the kode I have one (kode 94 2010) But I see now I go more in the direction of speed sailing in state of B&J. I like B&J but not so much as going fast. I already mentioned that I have wave sails and do not want to sell them. So that was my question. Could I use them on the futura 93 or not.

So thanks for answering my question and if you want to add something, I like to hear from you.

gr. Marco
Hi gr. Marco,

If you're 100% sure that speed is what you want you'll eventually want to get some sails with cambers. I've found wave sails are great on the Futura 93l, because they're sooo light and easy in the transitions, so you can session all day. My best GPS speed so far on that board (I really haven't had many great sessions with it yet), was 26knts, but this was on a 6.0m, no cambers with the bottom panel missing and the top batten broken :/.

If you do get sails for speed, remember that a full 4 cam race sail will only be faster if you're going to sail overpowered all the time, as the profile is super stable, but this kind of sail pins the board to the water for maximum control, and therefore not allowing very fast speeds when marginally powered.

Best compromise, in my opinion, is a 2 cam freeride/freerace sail. These sails are easy to rig, jibe, and have more wind range and pointing ability than no cam. More control in overpowered situations (due to 2 cams) = more speed in these situations.

Hope this helps.
Old 6th December 2010, 01:20 AM   #8
Unregistered

Thanks agrelon for sharing your experience with me,

This helps allot for my point of view. I have a Futura 133 and use a RAM F10 9.0 and a S-type 7.8 on it.
I like the RAM better becaus it is more stable in higher winds. Problem is that when it is getting more in high winds the board is getting lift out of the water. That is why I am looking for a smaller board (F111) and for the real strong winds I like to have the F93. I want to buy a RAM 7 for the F111 and a 6.3 or 5.7 for the F93. Do you agree with this or do you have other suggestions?

like to hear from you.

gr. Marco