Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21st December 2010, 09:00 PM   #1
racerX

Default Getting more speed out my quad 76 2010

Hi,

I am an intermediate (74kg) here in Jericoacoara starting to learn to wave ride (down the line). I have a skate 100 and starboard quad convertible 76 (2010), which I use the standard quad fins. I am still learning to gybe and tack properly but I have progressed so that I can consistently bottom and top turn down the line here on both boards. I really like the quad when I can position my self to wave ride. However the wind in the wave riding area is very light, and in order to avoid a tedious slog it is necessary to blast out the back for a bit to get into position. I was using a 4.7 yesterday for example.

I have now trouble getting planning on the quad, but I am finding it difficult to maintain enough speed to quickly blast upwind, across 1-2m open water chop/waves. I am sure that is my technique, as I appreciate this is probably a little too advanced board for me. Would I be better of with a single fin, (I have a 21cm fins that I have never tried). Or is the something I need to concentrate regarding my stance to get on some sweet spot of the planning flat to unlock the boards speed?

In comparison my skate which is very flat keeps it speed as I bash my way over the chop much easier, but is not in the same league on the wave.

I would like to overcome this hurdle, so that I can use the board more, and be more comfortable on it in general, or is a pure wave board always going to me more difficult to maintain speed?

As a general rule I tend to sail slower than most, which may be problem right there as don't tend maximize my speed when I have the opportunity and tend to slow right down in the lulls.

Any tips? or do I just need to improve my overall sailing before I can enjoy this board more.
racerX is offline   Reply With Quote