Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 30th December 2006, 04:22 PM   #1

Default New sail for my hypersonic 111

Hi

I am looking to buy a new sail for my HS 111 to replace both a 7.8 nocam and a 9.5 3-cam (cams broken - too difficult a sail to handle and rig for me).

I want a rather light sail (8.0 or 8.5 with 2 small cams?) with enough power to keep the best out of this great board.

Any suggestions ?

cheers
Charlie
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2006, 07:17 PM   #2

Default RE: New sail for my hypersonic 111

I have an Ezzy Infinity 8.5 that has good range and is easy to rig and handle relative to a race sail. That might be a good brand to try.
Old 30th December 2006, 09:33 PM   #3

i have a gun sails booster 8 mq is a good sail and have a low cost
Old 31st December 2006, 12:06 AM   #4
o2bnme

Send a message via AIM to o2bnme Send a message via Yahoo to o2bnme

I would suggest the Ezzy Infinity or the Sailworks Retro. I'm a Retro fan, but I know many sailors who do very well with the Infinity. I have an 8.0 Retro that I love. It has an amazing range. I have only used it when it is fully powered up at this point, but I can attest that in overpowering conditions, it does very well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
o2bnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2006, 12:45 AM   #5
steveC

You might want to check out Hansen Sails at the following website.

http://www.calcupevents.com/Stores/Hansen/Hansen_Store.htm

The Freerace HCL line would be perfect for your needs, as you can elect to use 1, 2, or 3 cams; or even with no cams at all. The sail has been designed to effectively work in any of these modes (I actually prefer the no cam mode). Also, the Hansen Compliant Leech (HCL) technology is a brand new concept that has distinct performance advantages. You can read more about this sail and the HCL technology at this website address:

http://www.hansensails.com/Forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40

I should point out that Hansen Sails is just starting up as a company, so sails are going to be manufactured on pre-order basis. It's important to note that the sail designer, Bill Hansen, was the original founder and designer of Windwing Sails, so the relative newness of Hansen Sails as a company shouldn't be considered a downside. Bill Hansen is a very talented and innovative sail designer that has been actively designing and manufacturing windsurfing sails since 1982. Without a doubt, one of the most experienced guys in the business.

Lastly, I should emphasize that I'm not associated with Hansen Sails in any way. I'm simply a dedicated customer that really appreciates Bill Hansen's work. If you have any specific questions about the sails, you can post them on the Hansen Sails forum.

http://www.hansensails.com/Forum

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2006, 01:32 AM   #6
-Lampi-

Send a message via MSN to -Lampi-

HI!

You migth want to look at the superspeed HOT sails maui sail. It has no cambers, but it looks just like a sail with cambers. They say, that it hast the good sides of both cam and nocam sails, so that would be that its easy to jibe and it has a lot of power. The downside of it is that you would have to buy a new mast because it works with an RDM. That might be an obstacle, BUT if you have the money to buy it its definately a good choice.

Here is a link to its site and to a video about the sail...

http://www.hotsailsmaui.com/2007/sai...ail=superspeed
http://www.hotsailsmaui.com/2007/vid...320&height=240

Lampi

p.s i dont work for HSM...
-Lampi- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2006, 02:13 AM   #7
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

For simplicity there is no doubting a good nocam is the way to go, and some of the examples mentioned here are benchmarks in that category, but to get the most from the HS you need a sail that is particularly draft stable (get the most from the wide performance range of HS) as well as very responsive to use of adjustable/variable outhaul (especially if you are looking at light to medium HS111 sail sizes and moreso if looking to replace 2 sails with 1 - and and thus squeezing the most from that 1).

That pretty much indicates cam sails, but still keeping it simple maybe more "freerace" or cammed freeride, rather than (the usually more complex) full race sails.

Choosing a sail that is slightly "gruntier", but then taking a slightly (half size or say 0.5m in that 8-9m range) smaller size also works very well with the "one sail/max HS range" combo ; the grunt obviously helping the lightwind/bottom end as well as getting the HS onto the plane easier, whilst the smaller area tends to keep the overall drag down and allow better top end. Usually "grunty" sails are ultimately a little less stable at top end, however agian taking a slightly smaller size both improves the stability (for a given type of sail) and also makes dealing with any instability (at speed/overpower) less of an issue than a larger version of the same type of sail.

There are plenty of good sails on the market to match this spec, and a lot of the modern freerace/cam freeride sails are quite simple to rig, very easy to use and durable. In combo with the HS, the results can be an exceptionally rangy, practical (one size) and versatile package.

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2006, 02:42 AM   #8

Many thanks to Ian in particular for the specific feedback, and to all the others for the various suggestions (most of which don't seem v. easy brands to find in Europe from my short experience).

Anyway I will go for a 2- or 3-cammed sail with a slightly smaller size, then (closer to 8 than 9 sq.m.).

tks a lot,
C
Old 31st December 2006, 04:59 AM   #9
qldsalty

Guest c, I'm now on my second Hyper 111 ( changed from dram to wood) and use almost exclusively 8.5 sails on this board. I had a 2005 NP V8 first which was very difficult to rig downhaul wise but would get the board planning easily in 10knots. Now I have a NP RS6 8.4 which is excellent for the wind range you are after. I don't use a expensive X9 mast only the x6. This race sail having four cams is the easiest cammed sail I've ever had to rig. If you follow the video procedure and may sure you keep the down haul to 10 cm short the cams pop on with ease. It is a perfect sail for the hyper through to about 18 knts. I also have the NP MXT extention which makes downhauling by hand a breeze. Like Ian said adjustable will give it even more. I don't have it but thats next on the list. I'm sure that the RSS would be even better as it has the 2 or 3 cams you want and is tuned around x6 equipment. I'll get one of those next year. If the 2007 V8 rigs the same as the RS series they would be worth a look as well ( 2 cams). They probably rig a lot easier than the 2005 model. One thing about NP sails is they take about 5 good sails to stretch in. SO if you get one don't be dissapointed at the start. It will be stiff and hard to rotate at first, but by the tenth sail they are worth their weight in gold. Take the spacers out at the start then put them back as it stretchs and keep the luff tight. I have a friend who rides the exact kit on the same board and he also is very happy. We are just under 30kts with this kit and 48 cm fin. Hope these are available in Euro.
qldsalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2006, 09:45 AM   #10
Philip

Am using a mix of twin cam and no cam sails on HS111. Yes, if using no cam sail on HS 111 the the rigging is critical - small changes to settings make a big difference when operating at either end of the wind range. HS responds well to sails that are efficient at the top of their wind range, whether camed or not. HS likes to be driven with the smallest fin and sail combo that will work on the day. I tend to rig small than large to get that effortless ride when it lights up.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote