Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 31st December 2006, 10:31 PM   #11
John1

Default RE: New sail for my hypersonic 111

Ezzy has done a new sail: The Ezzy Freeride has the forward, deep-draft profile and therfore I think its a very good sail just for the Hypersonic. My opinion is that the boards has a very strong force in the underwater design which obligate you to use a lot of power with the rear foot giving the sensation that the frontfoot is flying out of the strap when you are well powered. The Ezzy freeride can help you to give more power forward and give the sensation of equal power for both feets.
JJ.
John1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2007, 11:51 PM   #12
Julian

Send a message via MSN to Julian

To make your life a little more difficult: Tushingham Lightning's are great freeracing sails. Have used a 8.5 and 7.0 on my iSonic 125 and am now using them on my iSonic 111. These sails are stable, fast, user friendly (very easy rigging) and have a good handling. I don't know where you live, but if you live in the Netherlands, send me a message and you can always try my sails!
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2007, 07:22 AM   #13

Default RE: Tushingham Lightnings for Hypersonic.

I must say that I agree with Julian.
For ease of use, performance, windrange, quality & price (what did I miss out?) it's really hard to fault the twin-cam Tushingham lightnings.
I know that people will say that I'm biased, being the Australian importer, but the reason that we choose to import them is because they are so good!!
Give them a demo - I'm sure that you'll agree.

Haqppy New Year to all.

Jez . www.jez@2ndwind.com.au
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2007, 02:52 PM   #14
andreas

I am using a 8.5m North R-Type from 2006 with my HS111. It has two cambers and I find it very easy to rigg. I can plain in 15km/h windspeed (75kg). The sail is very stable an has a superb performance up to 5 beaufort (I mostly sail on lake with minimum chop of 15cm). The second sail I use with my Hyper is a Gun Sails Tempo (6.4m with 2 cams). With these two sails I get the most out of my beloved Hypersonic.

Hang loose, Andreas
Old 2nd January 2007, 09:07 PM   #15
Julian

I've sailed with the R-Type some times, and my experience is that this sail feels like a camberless sail, but without all the nice things that camber inducers give! No good profile, heavy and the foot of the sail is s?? low, that the sail gets in the water too fast (and therefore closing the gap isn't very nice).

Not my recommendation, and besides: with that weight, it isn't th??t hard to plane in 15 knots with 8.5 ...
Old 2nd January 2007, 11:00 PM   #16
John1

Again:
I think that Ezzy Freeride has the most forward, deep-draft profile of all the sails at the market and that this parameter is important for the HS-boards (because of its underwaterdesign.
JJ
Old 2nd January 2007, 11:01 PM   #17
John1

Again:
I think that Ezzy Freeride has the most forward, deep-draft profile of all the sails at the market and that this parameter is important for the HS-boards (because of its underwaterdesign.
JJ
Old 3rd January 2007, 05:45 AM   #18
Julian

Maybe you're right, but have you tested other sails and came to this conclusion? Or are you in some way an Ezzy empolyee and is you're opinion somewhat pre-set?

I had an interview with David Ezzy about the new freeride for www.surfgear.nl, and the most interesting thing I learned that David said he never thought he could make a camberless sail with the profile of a camber induced one, but the Freeride proved him wrong!

Interesting that he discovered how to do that, but why keep the infinity then?

Old 3rd January 2007, 12:17 PM   #19
andreas

@Julian: I just wrote what sails I am using and what I think about them. I like the R-Type.

By the way you should read carefully: I wrote 15km/h NOT knots (15km/h ~ 3 beaufort ~ 8 knots).

Hang loose, Andreas.
Old 3rd January 2007, 03:04 PM   #20
Julian

Hey, I never said your opinion was wrong, did I but I gave my opinion about the sail too, so that he can take that factor with him in his decision

And sorry about the misreading, guess I need to get used to the fact that other parts of the world use km/h as a wind standard, not knots