Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 24th June 2011, 11:52 AM   #1
Papa TERRY

Default Advcie

Hi!! Roger thanks for you help and advice.
I received the simulator plans looks good.
At the moment after looking through all the good advice I have received I am down to three boards types all with dagger boards, The Rio windsurfer, and Phantom race. And Go windsurfer as I am a light weight just less than 70 kilos. 5.11 Tall. Which or these boards would you chose for me mainly just to have fun with and is very stable. (By the way none of these boards mention ease off gybing) Also what two sails would you feel I could handle, and that would match these boards? Sails that are light and friendly to use. I understand the Go has two fins, as the beach here is very shallow so that is good. Please remember itís very basic here, I will have to use a lot off initiative do repairs.
I have enjoyed reading about the advice and comments in the forums have learnt a lot. There are so many who are willing to give advice and so freely. Thanks to them all.
Papa Terry
Papa TERRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 10:51 PM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Papa Terry,
At 70 kg. (150 lbs) the Rio M with 6.5 and 7.5 m2 sails would be my suggestion.
Since you aren't getting any younger or stronger, I would suggest spending extra money on a 100%
carbon mast that fits both sails. Mast weight is ultra important to staying out on the water for longer for
those of us past 60 yrs. old.
Not sure where you are going to order all of this from. I can find no Starboard dealers listed for the Phillipines.
I guess you will have to import from some other country close.
The sails I would suggest first would be the Sailworks Retro, and if you are planning to teach, the best training sails available are the Sailworks Retro Rippers 1.2 m2-4.2 m2)
If you wish to stay with all Starboard brands, the Severne NCX sails would be good, however the "best" mast for the 6.5 is a 430 and the best mast for the 7.5 is a 460 but it suggests the 6.5 can be rigged on a 460 IMCS 25 mast.
Hope this helps,
Roger
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote