Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 11th August 2011, 09:59 PM   #11
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi All

When I start this project 2 years ago it was to close the gap between the Bic 293 and the Rsx, I have one Bic 293 and Bic Hybrid 310 to make my test with kids from 40 to 75 kgs. At the end the Phantom 295 is a lot more fun in any condition with higher performances than the 2 Bic.
Anyway I will be probably at the Race Boards Worlds in Spain with the 2 boards Phantom 295 and Phantom Race 377 to show them and we will see what happen next.
But truly believe that this boards can change the perception of this kind of boards, FUN, FUN & FUN
All the best

Can answer if you have any questions on this following boards :

Carve 111, 121, 131, 141, 151 & 161
Futura 93, 101, 111, 121, 131 & 141.
iSonic 80, 87, 90, 97, 107, 110, 117 & 130
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

UltraSonic 147
Formula Experience One Design
Phantom Race 377 & 377 L / 320
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phantom 295 L :

Formula 167 :

Racing Serinity Cat Concept
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 01:38 AM   #12
ZedZdeD

precedent posts refer to afirst photo of this board, where can we see it ?
ZedZdeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 06:11 AM   #13
bushfire.one

Sailboarder -

There are several International One-design classes that are active :

Bic T293
Starboard Formula Experience (only non-raceboard class compatible)
NeilPryde RS:X
Kona One Design
Mistral One-design
RS:One

Quite right - I mispoke!!

Another one for the list is the Windsurfer One Design - this is quite an active class in my neck of the woods.

I suppose I was thinking about what type of boards would race in country/continental/world championships - the above boards - minus the MOD(board only) - would not be seen in these championships. In my area we have a small presence of all of the one-design boards mentioned above, but apart from the MOD, they are just not very competitive in a normal club situation (everyone sailing in the same race/same start). People don't like sailing at the back of the fleet if this position is due to the design of the board (you can't get away from sailor skill though).

We run several races a year based on VYC yardstick which is fun because it "normalises" the board differences of the fleet and the best sailor on the day wins.

Anyway, a bit off-topic. The new Phantom 377 has several new design area worthy of mention;

the sloping mast track - increasing the leverage when the mast track is in the forward position is interesting. It may indicate that the board doesn't like railing and needs a bit of help? Will it be harder to push the mast "up the hill" and easier to pull to the back? Lightwind railing is always a desired skill so this new feature may help this. In the past I have played around with larger light wind daggerboards to help this (as well as pointing angles). I must admit that the I felt that the Phantom 380 didn't easily rail as the older raceboards (I didn't own one so I'm not an expert here) so I am looking forward to see how the 377 performs in this aspect.

the bat wing stern - the most "revolutionary" part of the new design in my view. There have been some whispers of " it won't work" around the ether but I suppose there is always initial concerns for new stuff. I like how the batwing makes the rail line more parallel which should improve upwind ability. How the batwing changes the transition from displacement mode to planing mode is the big question. If the "hump" is reduced then it is a major win and likewise if the transition from planing to displacement is pushed back to lower speeds then this would be another win. My biggest concern is how the board will perform going deep downwind in planing, choppy conditions. The batwing will hold the stern of the board up due to its width and therefore the nose down going over the front of chop - hopefully there is enough nose rocker to prevent plowing into the chop ahead. Narrow stern boards can "sink" a bit in the above scenario to help the nose to keep clear. Wide tailed formula boards have "solved" this problem by having cutouts and/or short lengths and good nose rockers.

lower volume and narrower profile - not really a new design aspect but interesting movement from the 380. The narrower profile will allow better railing and is probably more inline with the winning board designs from the past. The lower volume is probably a good thing for all but the heavier sailor and is probably somewhat due to the batwind not adding much volume. A smaller board should help handling in the windier stuff.

I guess it is fun to discuss what might happen with the new design aspects, but I can't wait to try this out in reality. I wish I were going to the RB worlds in September to see it first hand but I'll have to wait until December to see one here.
bushfire.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 06:57 AM   #14
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi All

I will post a video of the prototype of this Phantom Race 377 in action, the wind was under 10 knots.

All the best

UltraSonic 147

Phantom 295 L :

Formula 167 :

Old 12th August 2011, 08:10 AM   #15
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi All,

The Video : http://vimeo.com/27605795

All the best

UltraSonic 147

Phantom 295 L :

Formula 167 :

Old 12th August 2011, 02:22 PM   #16
Bananentiger

Default Raceboard

I do not know why you do not like 380 Raceboards.
I do not know any other board which is capable for most off the conditions:
- Lake or Coast
- Low Wind (up from 2 knots) till High Winds (over 30 knots)
- achievable Speeds up to 30 knots when gong for your own and ~25 knots in races
- Go out Just for Fun or participate in Races (club/league/championship level)

The only disadvantage is the price for the whole material:
- New Boards for 2.500 EUR
- Riggs for 1.500 EUR

Here I see a chance for the OPEN 9,5 Class:
for 600 EUR in Material and ~100 hours of time you can buld your own board of your own design.
Someone offered me last year a custom made Raceboard by Peter Thommen build in 2006 for 2.500 EUR. So custom made and production of small series of race boards are as expensive.

I will wait to see the pictures of the Bat Wing and to understand then the red "lip" of the board. As it looks like that they would like to make the board capable for low and strong wind conditions. The Phantom was a good low wind and medium wind performer.
Bananentiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 04:48 PM   #17
Sailboarder

Now that I've seen the 377, I understand better where you are going. Hopefully, it will be a success able to become an Olympic class instead of the RS:X. The 295 will be a nice feeder class.

I still see room for an updated 320. With more length and volume than the 295, it would appeal to heavier sailors. Less length, lower cost and a more robust construction than the 377 would make it a practical alternative for recreational racers and freeriders looking for a longboard better than the RIO.

Remi, can you tell us what makes the new designs more FUN to ride than the Bic, and maybe than the Race 380?
Sailboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 05:09 PM   #18
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi Sailbarder,

The Phantom 295 as you can see on the video is a flying machine. I make also a special dagger Board base on a Formula fin who is soft in the tip who give you more lift and make the board more fun when you are on the rail. On top of that you have the mast position who is higher for up wind non planning condition who give you more leverage to get on the rail and keep it. The board also have a very early planning due to the wider tail and due the lower mast track you get more control for a long board like this. So you push the limit. All this together make the board a lot more Fun than the Bic.

For the Phantom Race 377 is the same concept but more extreme

For 2013 I will probably make and Phantom Race 320 with the same concept.

Phantom Race 377 : Volume : 263 ; Length : 377 ; Width : 67 ; Tail : 49.1
Phantom 295 : Volume : 192 ; Length : 294 ; Width : 72.5 ; Tail : 52.5

All the best

UltraSonic 147

Phantom 295 L :

Formula 167 :

Old 13th August 2011, 01:02 AM   #19
Bananentiger

Default Video

Thanks for the Video.
Now I understand how the "lips" will work. Good idea.

As I belong to the heavy weight sailors, do you think this board will perform better for me than my current F2 Race 380 with only 265 liter?
Bananentiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2011, 07:46 AM   #20
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi Bananentiger

How much is your weight?

Personally I am 92 Kgs and it's work perfectly for me, the distribution of the volume is more efficient on this board and the key who is very important to get planning is not the volume on this board but the tail width and you can see is more wide than any Race-Board on the market, so you can be sure that you will plane very fast compare to the F2.

All the best

UltraSonic 147

Phantom 295 L :

Formula 167 :