Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 14th January 2007, 12:14 AM   #21
steveC

Default RE: Changing footstrap settings for the day

Hi Geoff.

Yes, you correctly interpreted my point about footstrap attachment. I'm quite adamant about having the straps fixed in place so that any twisting can't take place. All my boards are configured this way. Also, I would like to emphasize that this attachment strategy really doesn't increase the board weight as long as the number of footstrap locations are kept to a reasonable minimum. By the way, this doesn't preclude having inboard and outboard options in the mix, as one of my boards is configured this way (between the two choices, I preferred the outboard one).

However, in fairness to other thought about this, in a similar thread a year or two back there was actually a person or two that actually liked the way single sided attachment allowed for the strap to twist position. It was stressed that the twisted positioning permitted better foot control over the board. Overall, I believe that this kind of preference is in the minority, especially in light of the many anti-twist components that have been developed and employed over the years.

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 10:08 AM   #22
GEM

Hi Steve

I agree with you completely on this.

To the others who keep trying...

I agree with all the concerns.

Just because other manufacturers tried and failed doesn't mean it was a bad idea. They just didn't come up with sufficient technology.

I think it's a formidable task, because a solution probably does involve metal-on-metal threads, designed not to loosen, not to corrode, lightweight, and as steveC points out - double screws.
GEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 08:12 PM   #23

Default RE: Foot Strap Quick Adjust Option

Hi, I remember I had an 2003 Fanatic E-ray 150 which has a Foot Strap Quick Adjust Option, It was some additional holes right near to the standard ones, so you have 2 options, use it with the standard screw or with the plastic pins supplied.
If Fanatic can make a board with metal holes and pins, we will have the perfect sulution for a quick footstraps adjusment.

I hope I can see a solution for this in the future,

Regards,

Rudolf
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2007, 12:51 AM   #24
Jean-Marc
TEAM

RE : footstraps change's poll.

1) No footstraps change : HS105 (all back & outboard*) and Acid 62 (front strap: front & inboard; back strap : back & inboard).
2) Footstraps change : Carve 111 and Kombat 86 : all front & inboard for waveriding; all back & outboard for B&J and blasting. I do change the footstraps during the day if it gets windy with waves or if the wind dies and water gets flatter and if I can't use either HS105 or Acid 62 (it's faster to switch board than to swap footstraps of course).

On the subject of using a screwdriver to change footstraps, a Philips/posidrive screw head is clearly inferior to both a Torx or an Allen screw head when force is needed to really tighten the footstraps on the deck. Simply said : I never ever stripped a Torx or Allen screw head. These kind of screw heads could be much more usefull on crossover boards such as S-Type, Carve or Kombat for those who truly enjoy crossing over discipline depending on the conditions, but as well as with beginner and intermediate boards such as Start, Rio, Starsurfer & co where changing footstraps can become a necessity to accomodate various members (kids, wife, husband, friends) of various skills at the beach.

Fanatic did have a quick lock foostraps system in the 90s : just turn a foldable butterfly bolt head by 1/2 turn to tighten the footstraps. The T shaped bolt's end enters into a groove inside the footstraps insert to tighten. The biggest problem was that dirt, salt crystals and sand that could sneak into the insert's groove, thus making the bolts tightened once and for all. Forcing on the bolt's head usually destroyed either the foldable butterfly, stripped the grooves or broke the T shaped bolt's ends. Quick lock indeed but sometimes for an eternity...

Double screws, i.e., 12 or 16 ? No thanks, 6 or 8 are enough to unscrew and rescrew each time for my taste.

Cheers !

JM

*HS105 : with race straps, I need to unscrew 4 screws to adjust between barefoot or booties (only in winter) snuginess.
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2007, 03:22 AM   #25
Arno13

Quote:
Jean-Marc

On the subject of using a screwdriver to change footstraps, a Philips/posidrive screw head is clearly inferior to both a Torx or an Allen screw head when force is needed to really tighten the footstraps on the deck. Simply said : I never ever stripped a Torx or Allen screw head.
Quite true now that you mention it.

Quote:
Jean-Marc
The biggest problem was that dirt, salt crystals and sand that could sneak into the insert's groove, thus making the bolts tightened once and for all. Forcing on the bolt's head usually destroyed either the foldable butterfly, stripped the grooves or broke the T shaped bolt's ends. Quick lock indeed but sometimes for an eternity...
The previously mentionned Geko was my first short board and being 23 at the time, I wasn't careful at all with my equipment (now experience & family-budget considerations have made me change !) and it never happened with me (the depressions getting dirty with a blocking result). But it's true that the small plastic device ("foldable butterfly") felt a little too light construction-wise.
Yet we had the instant tool-free capacity to adjust our gear to the conditions of the day. I wonder if it's no longer made because of the technology of the boards (thermoformed vs full sandwich) ?
Cheers
Arno13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2007, 06:34 PM   #26
Per

Yup... Torx head, easy access ( I think it's already solved on the straps on some of the later Aeros) and personally I've never ever needed double screws on any of my Starboards as long as I was wble to tighten the existin screws properly.

B)
Per is offline   Reply With Quote