Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 22nd December 2011, 02:00 AM   #1
Unregistered

Default Best option lightweight and lightwind

I am currently an int/adv windsurfer and wondering what the best option is for a lightwieght (65 kg) and light wind. I generally sail in a bay with a steady seabreeze that cosistanly blows 8-14kts with 10-12kts being avereage. I have a 10.0 sail and was initally thinking of getting a formula board however the ultrasonic seems to suit my riding style better. I was wondering with my weight, could I go with an isoinc 127 and still have a low planning threshold while having more manuverabily than the ultrasonic with the 10.0?
Old 22nd December 2011, 05:25 PM   #2
Jean-Marc
TEAM

It all depends on what type of cruising you want to do.

Formula's forte is upwind/downwind angle.
UltraSonic's forte is like a softened and easy-going/forgiving Formula in rough conditions.
Both are big as compared to an iSonic 127 for a light weight when it gets windy and choppy.

Being 65 kg myself, I've found no difference in low planning threshold (= 7 knots wind + active pumping) between an iSonic 127 and the UltraSonic, both with 55 cm fin + Reflex II 11.0 m2. A Formula is a bit better, i.e., starts planing at 6 knots of wind (70 cm fin + Code Red 2 11 m2 sail).

Whats is your current 10 m2 sail + board + fin combo? Do you have smaller sails and boards if wind blows above 12-14 knots?

How would you rate your pumping skills ? If intermediate, better take an UltraSonic. If advanced, an iSonic 127 might be good enough.

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 09:11 PM   #3
nakaniko

Otherwise, or in addiction: Starboard Serenity.
No planing, so no planing threshold to worry about, but flying sensation from 5-6 knots.
10 mq is perfect, with lower wind imho better a smaller sail.
Now I cannot imagine to live without my Seren(ity) (-board)
nakaniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 03:39 AM   #4
Unregistered

Thanks for the quick reply. My current setup is a bic techno 148 and Maui 8.0 sail which works when the wind is 12-14 knots. The 10.0 is a Maui Tr7 and I am looking for the best board for this sail when the wind is lighter. Luckly both places I sail have very little chop to deal with and my skills are more towards the intermediate level getting around all of my gybes and blasting around.
Old 23rd December 2011, 07:21 AM   #5
sergio k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. My current setup is a bic techno 148 and Maui 8.0 sail which works when the wind is 12-14 knots. The 10.0 is a Maui Tr7 and I am looking for the best board for this sail when the wind is lighter. Luckly both places I sail have very little chop to deal with and my skills are more towards the intermediate level getting around all of my gybes and blasting around.
I'm your weight, I live in mostly light wind area and have 16 or so years of experience...
Unless you tried and really hate newer formula boards, formula is your best bet for yearly planning
and overall crusing in the light wind with 10m2 race sail, Isonic 127 is too small and for your size best
suited with 9 m2 max, and with utrasonic you will gane comfort using bigger sail, but comparing
to i127 board will be too bulky and comparing to formula it will not plane as early and sail at narrow angle comparing to upwind/downwind potencial of formula. I never understood this,
you can buy a Ferrari(formula) or you can buy a Cadilac(Utrasonic) and in windsurfig world they both cost the same, yet people due to some crazy marketing still willing to by a Cadi... If you were 120+kg and
wanted to participate in slalom event maybe Ultrasonic ..
Old 23rd December 2011, 11:27 AM   #6
COACHG

Sergio makes a good point for light wind planing even if he uses a bad analogy. When people think of sports cars they think small and nimble, far from a formula. I think a better automobile analogy for formula would be a drag race car. Lightning quick get off, great acceleration, harsh ride & can’t turn worth a @#$&

But lets face facts here, you are not going to have any kind of manuverability with a 10.0 TR7 so you probably would be better off with a formula.

Coachg
COACHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 02:20 PM   #7
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Yes, I agree that if you want to plane the earliest, a Formula is king, no question.

However, there are other elements that need to be puit into the equation. Do you intend to keep the Bic Techno 148 or do you want to replace that board with either a Formula, UltraSonic or iSonic 127 with a 8.0 + 10.0 m2 sails quiver ?

1) If you want to keep the Bic Techno 148 with your 8.0 sail, a Formula will plane earlier, point higher upwind and downwind than an UltraSonic with a 10.0 sail. However, the UltraSonic would be easier under your feets in choppy water, when jibing or when back and forth reaching. If you cannot waterstart your 10.0 sail yet, both will be a more stable platform (more width with more volume overall than an iSonic 127) when you'll uphaul your sail out of water. The learning curve will be easier and faster with an UltraSonic than that with a Formula for a skilled intermediate, no question.

2) If you want to replace your Bic Techno 148, better take an iSonic 127 for your light weight because a Formula or an UltraSonic would be way too large and bulky with your 8.0 sail in solid winds. Even the iSonic 127 would be the limit with an 8.0 sail (an iSonic 117 wide would be perfect with 8.0 + 10.0 for a 65 kg skilled expert) but given your intermediate skills and the fact that your area is not too choppy when it really blows, I surmise that you'll use 80% of your time the 10.0 sail in 7-12 knots wind range whereas you'll use the 8.0 sail 20% of your time in 12-18 knots wind range, so the iSonic 127 would match that usage perfectly.

In comparison to your current Techno 148 (75 cm width), the iSonic 127 would clearly feel underfoot like a 1 size larger board, the UltraSonic would feel like a 2 sizes larger board and the Formula would feel like a 3 sizes larger board (especially at the tail).

Cheers !

JM

Last edited by Jean-Marc; 23rd December 2011 at 02:38 PM.
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2011, 02:49 AM   #8
Ken

My take on this. If you are committed to using the 10.0 sail for your 8-14 knot sailing, it will work best on either the formula or hypersonic. It's too big for the iSonic, especially with your weight and size. The 10.0 is even a little larger than necessary for a 66kg sailor on the two big boards, but it will keep you going in the lulls and should give you an exciting ride if you are reaching most of the time.

I have a F160 and an iS111 and the two work well for me without a gap for freeriding. I weight 77kg. I use my 11.0 and 9.2 on the formula (8-15) knots and then 8.4, 7.6 and 6.6 on the iSonic (12-20 knots). All Maui Sails TR race sails.

My recommendation is the ultrasonic although I have never sailed one.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2011, 11:48 PM   #9
Unregistered

I appreciate everybody's input on the matter. I think I will look for a used Formula to try first since that is what everybody is using where I sail and will give me the lowest planning threshold.. As my skills improve I will then think about replacing the techno with a lower volume board for days when I would use the 8.0. If the formula doesn't work for me then at that point I would try the ultrasonic.
Old 26th December 2011, 04:00 AM   #10
sergio k

Coachg, I stand by my analogy... There's nothing as fast on light wind as FW, plus I think it can pull a turn just fine...