Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 7th February 2012, 04:41 PM   #11
BelSkorpio

Hey Sean,

Are the air/water temperatures warm enough in March for just wearing lycra ?
Or will I still need a neoprene shorty ?
Old 8th February 2012, 03:49 PM   #12
mario.milhazes

Hi Belskorpio

I was there in March 2010 and had a hell of a time!!!!
Great place to windsurf!!! I rented equipmente at a Harry center (JP/NP) sailed 7 days from 5.0 to 8.0....super flat water!! Take a shortie wetsuit, your harness and some gloves because you will get blisters.

Loved the place, the people and the food!!! Everythig is so cheap!! So out for dinner in Masbat but remember that you have negociate everything out....dont pay the first price they tell you

I stayed in a nice House just behind the hotels line (http://www.dahabholidays.com/) it is owned by a Brit couple, very friendly!!!

Hope to come back soon!!!

If you need more info just ask me.
mario.milhazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 04:34 PM   #13
BelSkorpio

Hey, thanks Mario.

Now you talk about the food.
I've been yesterday to the doctor to ask for pills against bacterial infections as a preventive measure.
Is Egypt still notorious about this ?
Old 16th February 2012, 07:32 AM   #14
windsurftr

nice and warm place
windsurftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 09:38 AM   #15
SeanAUS120
Dream Team Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SeanAUS120

Food is pretty sketchy ... I just cooked myself every meal because I didn't want to get sick. I'm sure there are plenty of things you can find that won't kill you, but the main thing to look out for is that the water is not so safe to drink out of the tap, so anything that they WASH in water before it's cooked might make you sick... ie, vegetables/fruit etc ...

It won't kill you; just might make your stomach a little sick for a few days ... that being said, most of the British girls I met there who'd been staying there and diving for a few months were drinking the water straight from the tap; they say your body adapts... haha :-/
Old 16th February 2012, 12:34 PM   #16
RAW

Thumbs up

Hi Bel,

HEAD Sauns advice!!!

I lived and worked in India for 2 years and travel internatioally on a weekly basis for work. Your body won't get used to the new conditions during such a short trip so always be cautious. Drink UNOPENED bottled water. NO ice in your drinks and go to the busy/ popular restaurants as you will give your stomach a better chance of survival. Would suggest you take some Imodium tablets just in case your stomach is a little delicate.

Hope I am not talking out of turn but want you to enjoy your trip as much as possible.
RAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 08:20 PM   #17
BelSkorpio

Yep, well I've heard that the Imodium that we know is useless in Egypt. You need something stronger over there.
Let's be careful and only eat cooked food and drink hot tea.
It seems that yogurt also helps a lot.
Can't wait to get there. LOL
Old 16th February 2012, 08:37 PM   #18
RAW

Sorry SeanAUS120 for the name change in previous
RAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 09:49 PM   #19
mario.milhazes

Hi BelSkorpio

Me and my friends went out every nigth for dinner in Masbat and never had a problem. We tried a lot of stuff and i have to stay that first day we were afraid but nothing happend, so i kept on eating out every single nigth.

We met some people that were staying at the hotels and resorts had problems with food intoxications......i suppose itīs because it is cooked and stored in huge quantities.

In the restaurantes in Masbat they made the food on the hour...

Just drink bottled water and dont eat salads and natural stuff that is washed with water. Eat everything well cooked and you wont have a problem.

I have a long term stomach problem, Gastritis, and i am very sketchy to food but had no problem in Dahab.

You and your friends will have a great time!!!! Believe me!!!
mario.milhazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012, 09:23 PM   #20
Unregistered

Wink

A lot of people worry about falling sick while in another country. It's normal.

Although you got to take precautions, what you need to do is also to train your body to take a bit of "dirty" food. People who lives in very clean environment tends to have weak stomach and this becomes a problem when traveling to other countries. I can understand that sportsmen like AUS120 not taking any chance and decided to prepare his own meals after all he was there for training.

I always asked for ice in my drinks while I was in Dahab. My kids ate the ice too and they were ok. (By the way, ice is a precious item in that hot country, you may not get it sometimes).

Egypt's population is growing so how unclean can their food be?
Just look at what Bear Grylls ate for survival! Yes, I believe our human body is quite adaptable and quite capable of self-healing, sometimes (: