Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 7th April 2012, 10:55 PM   #1
NickB

Exclamation 2012 Phantom mast track problems

Hi,

Yesterday I took out my 2012 Phantom 320 for the first time, and it was very nice (8-12knots, railing and a bit of planing). The mast track seemed to be working fine, unlocking when I pressed the pedal and locking back up when in the new position. But after 1.5 hour, as I was 3km inside San Francisco bay, my rig separated from my board during a very gentle pivot jibe. Thankfully I was able to hold on to both the rig and board! The Phantom mast base had just popped out of the mast cart, even though the U-pin that locks it in place was still in the "locked" position. Strange. But after struggling a few minutes I was able to set the base back in position and make it back to shore safe. Pfeew!

But today, as I was preparing for my second session on that board, I checked the mast base/cart before leaving. In doing so, I pressed the pedal (gently, with my hand) to reposition the cart to a back position, and heard a loud sound. It must have been some kind of spring in the pedal mechanic that broke, because the pedal won't come back up by itself anymore, and the track stays down in the "unlocked" position even when the cart is set correctly in one position. I can lift the locking mechanism manually to lock it, but it falls back down in the unlocked position by itself (gravity), making the board unusable.

Has anyone seen this happen? per pictures, I think the track is the same for all Phantoms (320, 377, 295), but I have not found any other posts of users having this problem.

I would have posted in the "ask the team" forum but forum registration has been disabled. Can anyone from Starboard let me know if there is a way I could fix it, or does it sound like a defect and should I already have my dealer contact the Starboard distributor for some kind of replacement?

Thank you,

Nick
(I can email pictures if needed)