Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 1st May 2012, 04:37 AM   #1
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Alena,
Do the holes appear to be some sort of plastic insert (like footstrap screw inserts on your other boards?
If so they are possibly there to attach a carry net that was at one time a feature of the Serenity.
Are these holes on the top of your Serenity or the bottom?
If they are an insert (or two seperate inserts, they will be watertight and give you no problems.
Until you get a definitive answer, you can put some duct tape or vinyl sail repair tape over them to
keep any water out.
If you could send me a photo of the holes, we can give you a definitive answer.
If not, I know where there is a Serenity and will have a look this coming weekend.
Roger
P.S. May I delete the first post in this thread?
It looks like somehow you cut and pasted the entire menu in .
R
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 04:26 PM   #2
Alena

Default Serenity-holes

Hello Roger
The holes are on the stern, on the top, just where the " Serenity Windsurfing" logo ends. I do have a picture but do not know how to stick it in, plus they are just 2 holes with no inserts.
I will put the duct tape over them
And please delete whatever I did and should not have done.
Thanks
Alena
Alena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 05:28 PM   #3
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Alena,

As for the 2 holes above the Serenity *windsurfing* logo on *top* of the stern's deck, there are indeed 2 holes (at 55 cm and at 65.5 cm from the stern of my Serenity mk I wood) with plugs to let you screw in 2 screws and washers to attach the Starboard rolling trolley called the "Clipper Wheels" (http://2007.star-board.com/viewpage.php?page_id=11). These 2 holes are perfectly normal and watertight, no worries.

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2012, 05:10 PM   #4
Jean-Marc
TEAM

http://2006.star-board.com/products/accessories.asp

Clipper Wheel :

"The Clipper Wheel from Starboard is as its name implies, simply a large roller-wheel that clips on to the tail of virtually any board with a Tuttle box. With its large diameter wheel, the Clipper Wheel functions on all surfaces including sand. Primarily designed for the staff at windsurfing schools, the wheel clips on and off in an instant without the need for any additional tools. Being able to remove the wheel at the water's edge leaves you a clean board. For the more regular sailor, it is also convenient to have the Clipper Wheel system clipped on to your boardbag: it makes it easy to transport your full kit in one go from the garage to the car, from car park down to the water, or around the airport from one terminal to another.
  • Clips on and off in an instant without tools.
  • Works on sand"

Cheers !

JM
Old 28th May 2012, 01:36 AM   #5
Alena

Hello Jean Mark
I took my new Serenity to the beach with a 10 meter sail and it was so awesome. There was not much wind and I was the only one on the water while everybody stayed at home.
The board actually catches waves and definitely gets cuts through the waves easily.
Unfortunately I was not careful and allowed the cover to the "cup holders" to float away and it is gone.
Any idea where I can get a new one?
Also what is the trick to tack it efficiently?
Thanks
Alena
Old 28th May 2012, 01:26 PM   #6
Alena

Hi Jean - Marc
Could you also let me know if there is a benefit to sailing the Serenity with a 10 meter sail?
Somebody told me it is not necessary and would sail just as well with a smaller sail?
Thanks
Alena
Old 30th May 2012, 01:53 AM   #7
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Alena,
I would suggest you purchase or borrow a GPS unit (handheld in a waterproof pack/bag) and do your own tests.
Try your 10.0 m2 rig ....its heavy and cumbersome to use such a large sail on such a narrow platform as the Serenity.
Then take a 7.5 m2 free race sail (Sailworks Retro etc) and sail about the same courses.
I think you will find the 10.0 m2 rig that JM uses is to race with sailboats on a regular yacht racing triangular
course, not free sailing back and forth.
I will be very suprised if you find that the 10.0 m2 moves the Serenity more that 1 knot faster than
a good drafty 7.5 m2 rig in 5-10 knots of wind.

I sailed the Mk 1 Serenity with sails as small as a 4.2 m2 Sailworks Retro Ripper in fairly light winds and it moved along and tacked/jibed just fine.
I spent alot of time with Jim Drake when he came down to Hatteras as the designer of the Serenity he placed effciency at the top of the list in his design criteria.
His recommended sail size was 7.5 m2 as the optimum.
I've had the Serenity planing (it planes and moves very fast until the tail goes under then it gets real
unstable) with a 4.8 m2 Sailworks Hucker in 20 knots of wind.
As far as tacking, learn to put the mast back as far as you can and keep it there with the foot of the sail
right down on the deck of the Serenity) and learn to step over the mast so you do not bring the sail back up until the nose of the board has passed through the eye of the wind.
Serenity's do not tack real fast, but if you use all the forces and alignments at your disposal, you can get it around fairly quickly. I does take some practice.
What fin are you using?
I often found that a smaller fin (60 cm slalom or race vertical fins worked the best) helped with both the boardspeed (less drag) and made the Serenity significantly easier to turn, tack, and jibe.
You might loose a tiny bit of upwind capability, but the overall Serenity experience was much better with a 60 cm fin.
Per JIm Drake, at your weight, put the mast foot as far forward as it will go.
Go upwind by tipping the board slightly toward the lee rail as this really improves the way the nose bites
into the water and increases the upwind capabily of the fin.
Hope this helps,
Roger
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 12:25 PM   #8
Alena

Hi Roger
That helps a lot. I wish I knew before the last weekend, I pulled some painful spot around my ribs waterstarting the Serenty with that huge sail with half of me going one way and the other hald the other way and something gave up.
I don.t care about one knot of speed so GPS is not necessary..
Where do you think I could get a replacement for the cover over the hole that has the screws for the fin? Mine floated away somewhere towards JFK library in S Boston never to be seen again.
Thanks a lot
Alena
Old 31st May 2012, 02:39 PM   #9
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alena View Post
Hi Jean - Marc
Could you also let me know if there is a benefit to sailing the Serenity with a 10 meter sail?
Somebody told me it is not necessary and would sail just as well with a smaller sail?
Thanks
Alena
Alena,

That's correct : no needs for a super jumbo sail to enjoy the serene glide of the Serenity in a gentle brise.

However, my approach is a bit different and radical than that of yours as I want to be as fast and as efficient as possible against any sail-powered boat or craft on my home lake. Therefore, I need the most powerfull rig in winds as low as 2-3 knots. I completely agree with Roger that a well grunty 7.5 m2 sail la Severne Glide is quite efficient as well. However, numerous match racing between 2 Serenitys and sails of 6.0-11 m2 has proven time over time that the biggest sail is always faster in 3-7 knots of winds. Even with the same 11 m2 sail surface, the speed difference between 2 Serenitys can ultimately be influenced by the rider's weight, skills and his sail's trim.

Unless you want to be the fastest rider on your home spot, there is no need for a 10 m2 sail on your Serenity. Sure, I can enjoy riding my Serenity with a smaller sail such as a 8.6 m2 or a 7.7 m2 sail, but I know I will always be faster with a 11.0 m2 sail. The trade-off, as you had discovered yourself first-hand, is that such jumbo sails are a pain to handle once the rig fells into water or when the wind starts to pick up a bit too much.

Serenity wind range for my 183 cm x 65 kg body :

1) Severne Code Red R2 11.0 or Reflex II 11.0 m2 + stock Drake 70 cm XXL fin : 2-7 knots.

Above 7-8 knots of wind, the 11 m2 sail is way too large for the Serenity and I just swap the sail on a dedicated planing board (iSonic117 Wide + 55 cm fin). With that board, I can start and sustain the planing as of 7 knots up to 12 knots of wind.

2) NP RS2 8.2 or Severne Reflex III 8.6 m2 + stock Drake 70 cm XXL fin : 3-10 knots.

Above 10 knots of wind, the 8.6 m2 sail is becoming way too large for the Serenity and I just swap the sail on a dedicated planing board (iSonic117 Wide + 48 cm fin). With that board, I can start and sustain the planing as of 10 knots up to 15+ knots of wind.

3) Severne Code Red 7.7 m2 + stock Drake 70 cm XXL fin : 4-12 knots.

Above 12 knots of wind, the 7.7 m2 sail is way too large for the Serenity and I just swap the sail on a dedicated planing board (iSonic117 Wide + 40 cm fin). With that board, I can start and sustain the planing as of 11-12 knots up to 18+ knots of wind.

Reality check is that I'm always using option (1). I was forced to use options (2) or (3) when mast, boom or big sail of option (1) were broken in winds that were blowing well below the planing threshold of the large slalom board. It's much more fun to glide with the Serenity than to schlogg as a pig with a large slalom board :-) !

As for tacking the Serenity, bank the board with the windward rail up and tilt the rig on the back towards the tail to head up dead upwind. Then, it's way easier to keep your balance when you simply oversheet the sail when you're dead upwind, with your front foot just in front of the mast base. Check out the following video at time 2:05 and 3:28 to see what I mean by sail oversheeting : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V97ikRFQDdU

Finally, you can order any spare part from your starboard dealer. Make sure it's for a Serenity mark I when filling the order.
To avoid loosing that cover as you did, I fix it with a small piece of auto-adhesive Velcro band that is glued into the groove of both the cover and cup holder. Make sure you use the rubber washer with the fin screws to avoid filling the cup holder by water when the board travels into water. When water fills up the cup holder because fin screws are not water-tight, it just make the cover pops out like the cork of a champagne bottle...

Cheers !

JM
Old 31st May 2012, 06:05 PM   #10
Alena

Hello Jean-Marc
The lake you are sailing on is beautiful where is it?
Thanks a lot for that information.
So you do not use the 60 cm fin at all? What is the difference? Does using the smaller fin improve the speed?
I was so happy on the Serenity. I was the only person sailing even the kiters stayed at home. And it catches the small waves which is just happiness for me.
Now there is no reason to stay at home on no wind days. I wish I got the Serenity long time ago, it is going to make my life so much more serene, no more sitting at home and worrying about missing something.
Did you ever paddle it?
I noticed it scratches super easily. NO matter what, if it is touched by an unfriendly object, I think I will have to ignore that?
Thanks a lot and have a nice weekend
Alena