Old 31st May 2012, 09:34 PM   #11
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Hi Alena,

The lake is lac Monteynard, close to the town of Grenoble in France.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lac_de_...nard-Avignonet
http://www.lac-monteynard.com/
It's a great spot for windsurfing. Usually, thermal winds are very light in the morning (1-3 Bft) but starts to pick up at noon up to 4-5-6 Bft until dusk, and this cycle repeats itself every days in the summer.

No, I don't use a 60 cm fin. I did try once a 54 cm race fin with an 8.2 m2 sail in ± 10 knots wind. Pointing upwind is less efficient as expected but speed improves a bit. I also tried a 80 cm fin; pointing was a bit better but speed was dramatically reduced, so I keep using the stock 70 cm fin which is a good compromise between best upwind angle and good speed downwind. I also tried the stock Drake shallow 40 cm plastic fin when I was overpowered with the 11 m2, but I'm not using it anymore because I prefer to swap board and fly at higher speed on the large slalom rocket.

As for kiters, they are a no show unless it's blowing a steady 7 knots wind on my home lake. I've seen once a kitesurfer planing in 5 knots wind but he was using a race kiteboard with 4 big fins and a very large 22 m2 sail. As soon as he was hitting a lull, he was sinking full stop while I was still gliding full speed on the Serenity.

You need a minimum of 2-3 knots of wind to move the Serenity forward with a sail. You can even ride her in no wind by pumping the sail with ample and slow motion.
Yes, I also tried paddling the Serenity in no wind, either with a small 32 cm fin, a 40, a 54 or the stock 70 cm fin. No matter which fin is screwed into her tuttle finbox, the Serenity is quite tippy because of her rounded hull bottom. By comparison, the K15 SUP (± same dimension and outline as that of the Serenity) has a flat hull bottom and is less tippier than the Serenity. I also tried a SUPer 12'6" and this is way more stable and less tippy than paddling the Serenity. So to me, the Serenity is clearly a no-compromise high-performance windsurfing board with limited SUP potential whereas the K15 is a high-performance flat water SUP board with limited windsurfing abilities (only small sail, no railing up with feets pushing over the edge of the windward rail because of the deep monoconcave deck form shape).

As for scratches, I do pay extra attention because it very easy to remove a small chip of gelcoat paint on the hull when hitting the dock, a rock, a pole, a chair or table while lugging her around. It's sheer lenght of 455 cm must not make you to worry, but always keep an eye on her bow and stern. I do keep my woody baby in a dedicated boardbag when not sailing. Dings on the wood deck are immediately sealed with a dab of superglue (Elmer's Products Aron Alpha® 221F Cyanoacrylate Adhesive (Industrial Krazy Glue™) marketed in the US or 3M's Products Cyanolit® Plastic 221-F marketed in Europe).

Cheers and enjoy your serene ride in Boston !

JM

Last edited by Jean-Marc; 31st May 2012 at 10:10 PM.
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2012, 06:15 PM   #12
Alena

Hello Roger and Jean-Marc
I took the Serenity out with the 7.5 meter sail and it was fun and much easier. It eliminated my problem sitting at home and deciding if there is enough wind. Now there is enough wind all the time and when it goes up I switch to a regular board.
The Serenity gets these fine grey dark lines on it when it touches anything. Somebody told me to use the same stuff you use on a car to take it out? Is it OK? I would love to take these lines off if possible. They should have put a better surface on it is is very fussy
Thanks a lot
Alena
Alena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2012, 05:23 PM   #13
Jille

I've had a Serenity and enjoyed it a lot.
But taking it to the water gave to much troubles.

Would be nice to have a 3,80 meters Serenity with a retractable daggerboard!

3,80 fits better in my trailer and a 70 cm fin is a bit of a problem in shallow water.
(didn't like the shallow water fin that much)

If such a Serenity will be for sale this fall, I will be the first in line!
Jille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2012, 06:57 PM   #14
Jean-Marc
TEAM

No need to wait : go get a Phantom 380 or 377 : smaller than a Serenity and with a full retractable daggerboard.

Cheers !

JM
Old 11th July 2012, 07:54 PM   #15
Jille

I have a Phantom-Race 320.
Nice board, don't get me wrong, but it's not like a Serenity in 1-7 knots.
Jille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2012, 02:23 AM   #16
Alena

Hello Jean-Marc
The Serenity is awesome. Today I was on a short board and a 6.5 sail, than the wind died a bit I switched to the Serenity and it went flying. It was wavy and windy and I swear the Serenity in some way likes to catch the waves. When the wind blew it lifted out of the water to the point where I was standing.
I feel so lucky. I did not have to rig another sail and had the best time.
There was this idiotic Macho guy who asked me who talked me into buying the thing? But that wa before I took it out sailing.
Ihad so much fun and without having to rig a 10 meter monster sail .
Everybody should have a Serenity or something of that kind
Alena
Old 16th July 2012, 08:12 AM   #17
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Dear Alena,

You're entering the fun and exciting part of this amazing board potential. You're discovering what I mean by foiling da big Bertha when half of the hull is out and above of the water surface, bow wave just under the carry handle. Kind of a wide stance with front foot on the windward rail, back foot firmly pressing on the foam cover of the fin screw pit/cooler box. You're flying and reaching up to her topping up speed at about 12-13 knots.

Now, the tricky part is trying not to overturn the board : keep the hull always banked with the windward rail up and the leeward rail down. If you press too much the windward rail down, the board will suddenly overturn and throw you out. If the nose is flying to high in a gust, just sheet out a bit your sail, the nose will go down and off you go again full speed. In other words, you can adjust the nose pitch just by sheeting in and out the sail while maintaining the board always banked on her leeward rail.

You did that on a windy day with a 6.5 m2 sail which gave you the best time without rigging your monster sail. The beauty is that you can do the same kind of Serenity foiling with your 10 m2 sail but this time on a very light wind day, say 5-7 knots of wind ! Yes, you will start to appreciate that kind of foiling da big Bertha more and more, believe me, it's kind of addictive...!

Agree with your motto : everybody should have a Serenity in their quiver. The best light wind board ever designed. Nothing compares to her, even the fancy windSUP are no match to her.

Cheers and ride on !

JM
Old 3rd September 2012, 02:19 PM   #18
Alena

Hi Jean -Marc
I took the Serenity out yesterday and it was the most incredible experience. The wind was 8-15 knots and the Serenity with the 10 meter sail went flying. Ofcourse I could barely hold that sail.
Coming back with the waves the board just flew, surfing all the way back the most incredible surfing experience.
How does that work with such a large fin?
The Serenity is a lot of fun in waves as long as there is wind to lean on.
It is the best purchase I ever made . I call her the "Princess of Windsurfing."
Thanks

Alena
Old 12th October 2012, 08:04 PM   #19
Alena

Hi Jean -Marc
Can you tell me what paint do you use for minor abrasions on the wood deck of the Serenity?
And is the Epoxy stick OKfor any hull repair?
Thanks a lot
Alena
Old 12th October 2012, 11:53 PM   #20
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Alena,
Epoxy ding stick is probably not the best product to use.
It'd a bit hard to get it to fair in well, and it hardens very hard so it does not sand well.
West systems epoxy resin ( 2 part) is probably the best product to use.
Get the slow set hardener and use alot of tape to keep it off area adjacent to the repair.
Can you describe the "grey lines" a bit further.
You can use regular automotive carnuba wax, or get one of the carnuba based boat
waxes that are made for fiberglass boats.
Be careful of products with alot of abrasve in them, you don't want to remove the finish/paint,
just clean off the gray lines.
Are these at the water line i.e could these lines be caused by the water where you are sailing?
Roger
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote