Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 8th May 2012, 10:19 AM   #1
howieP

Default Servene NCX 6.0 (2010) mast compatibility

Hi All,

Look for someone to help with troubleshooting the mast compatibility issue with my NCX 6.0 (2010). I thread the Powerex Z-Free 430 into the sail and pull down-haul to the recommended setting. After that I found the profile of the sail become so floppy that the wrinkles moved all the way down to the boom panel. I tried to released the down-haul for a few centimeters to resume a reasonable shape. However, the batten doesn't really compromise to the setting because they are yet pulled away from the mast to an extent that can ensure a smooth batten transition.

The other thing is that the sail foot is found to have an extremely high tension. It's so tight that the bottom vee of the sail foot now beccomes slightly torn when the sail is downhauled to the official setting.

Seldom do I see a speed oriented designed sail of this size to use a vario mast-top. That actually introduce another confusion. Since the sail itself assumes a high tension overall profile, the downhaul assumes precision down to centimeter level. However, the tops strap actually allows a high deviation that prevents an accurate trim on the luff length to be achieved. Sounds contradictory or am I just lacking of experience with the sail. No matter how tight the top strap is fastened, it'll get further stretched somehow when downhauld tension is applied.

Am I supposed to tighten the top strap to the minimal length?

Would someone share your experience with this sail. Such as what mast the sail is expecting? Would Powerex Z-Free be matched to the sail? Any tips for trimming can provided?

Thanks,
HowieP
howieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2012, 02:51 AM   #2
COACHG

I sold my NCX 6.5 a couple years ago. The mast I used was a 430 Fiberspar which is what Severne recommended. The adjustable top for my 6.5 was so I could use a 430 mast-softer- or 460 mast-stiffer. I found the sail very light and easy to use. It did have a very floppy leach similar to a race sail. It was a fast sail but not very powerful. I made my adjustments with outhaul, not downhaul.

If your 6.0 can take 2 masts than let the top out for a 460 & pull it all the way down for a 430. Tie a not in the top strap to stop it from slipping.

Try to borrow a different mast and rig it to see if your mast doesn't work.

Coachg

Last edited by COACHG; 9th May 2012 at 02:59 AM.
COACHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 06:29 AM   #3
Unregistered

I have a 2011 7.5 NCX recommended luff 486. With my Powerex 460 100 carbon mast, the base should be set to 26. At this setting the sail is grossly over down hauled. I set the base to 22 for a good high wind setting with the leach loose all the way down to the boom.