Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 3rd September 2012, 02:24 AM   #1
Unregistered

Default Using smaller sail than minimum recommended sail with fututra 141

Hi,

I have a 141L futura and the minimum sail to be used with it is 6.5m.

I would like use my board in higher winds which I need smaller sail than 6.5 for my weight (87kg).

What happens if I use a smaller sail like 5.7 or 5.5m with the same board?

Thanks
Old 3rd September 2012, 03:27 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Unreg,
You can certainly use a smaller rig in your Futura 141.
The sail range is just an "optimum" sail size range.
You can go larger, but the board width will not support the early planing abilities of the
larger rig.
You can go smaller, but the width of the board then starts to become a liability as too wide
a board may not handle the sea surface conditions (chop etc.) as well as a smaller/narrower/
less volume board that has the 5.7 m2 sail within it's optimum sail size range.
So, give it a try, and if you do not like the way your Futura 141 handles, perhaps rent/borrow a
smaller Futura (101 or 111) that has the 5.7 near it's sweet spot for both windspeed and sail size.
Remember to try a smaller fin.
Too much fin can make your Futura 141 very hard to sail in 17-22 knots windspeed (where you would need a 5.7 m2 rig).
If you have never experienced true "tail walking" you might get that experience if you are well powered on your 5.7/Futura 141 combo with the stock fin.
The absolute loss of control when you have way too much fin and your board tailwalks is something every windsurfer needs to experience at least once.
Then you will change fins more often than sail sizes.
I weigh about the same, and don't really get on a >6.0 m2 rig until 18-20 knots, and the Futura 101 handles 6.5-5.5 m2 rigs very nicely.
Roger
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 09:49 AM   #3
Farlo

Hello Roger, any idea about the smallest fin size a board can take? Surely there are many factors: OFO, straps position, rails, shape, fin type, etc... but there should be a point where it becomes not balanced at all. Anybody knows what defines the recommended fin range?
Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 01:52 PM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Farlo,
I've always used the unscientific formula that the fin needs to be at least 1/2 the width of the board as
a minimum.
As far as the maximum I've seen and used fins in the 70% to 80% of the board width range, but that is for the wider boards like Formula, Free Formula, Apollo, UltraSonic.
In order to control the attitude of the fin, you need more footstrap offset off centerline with the longer more powerful fins.
Put a 70 cm formula race fin on a 60-75 cm wide slalom board and you will be unable to control the fin and tailwalking all over the place.
Roger.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2012, 08:11 PM   #5
Unregistered

Se pourrait-il bien se passer qui mettra chose à ce sujet dans mon petit wephorum personnelle si je poste une référence à www.star- board.com ? Cordialement !