Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 24th August 2006, 07:50 PM   #1
Andrew

Default Stuck mast

Hi Roger, just to let you know that your solution for unsticking masts (waaay back in the old posts) worked for yet another mast, got mine apart in less than 2 minutes. It is pretty freaky to exert that much pressure on the mast at first.

I didn't hear any sand crunching but it worked nonetheless. I have printed the solution off and keep with my gear just in case.

Also, I find all the planing, footstrap and harness posst useful at my stage of sailing.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2006, 08:58 PM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: Stuck mast

Hi Andrew,
Glad to be of service here.
Not sure if you've seen the "water pressure" mast separator I put together.
Might want to get a hose coupling, an ABS plastic adapter, a 1 foot piece of hose, and a couple of hose clamps.
With this device you can use city water pressure to "wash" the sand out of your stuck mast joint. You can also "work" the joint in the same way that just worked for you, with the water pressure inside the top of the mast at the same time. Very quick results.
Did your mast "stick" even with tape around the joint?
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2006, 06:48 PM   #3
Andrew

No I haven't seen the device you mention, is it described elsewhere in the posts?

Alas I didn't try the electric tape, I thought I was being careful not to get sand in. Won't make that mistake again.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2006, 08:44 AM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Andrew,
No, I haven't really elaborated on the "water pressure mast separator" here on this forum. I did describe it on rec.Windsurfing, and the prototype was shown in an article on the Frisco Woods Windfest back in April.
What it is is a piece of reinforced rubber or plastic hose that fits the tip of the top section of your mast. Attach it to the top of the mast with a couple of good screw type hose clamps.
Before you attach the hose to the end of the mast, remove the plug from the top of the mast. This usually takes a pair of "Vice Grips" to grab the rubber or plastic plug and carefully (so you can use it again) twisting it out of the end of the mast.
Then get an ABS Plastic pipe reducer bushing that the hose also fits on the OD of the bushing. I use a couple of different bushings and hoses, for different size masts, but the bushings all reduce to 1/2 " NPT Tapered pipe threads.
Then get a garden hose adapter that screws into 1/2 " NPT threads.
Attach the hose and clamp it tightly to the tip of the mast (good to go down about 6"-12" below the tip if possible).
Then stick the other end over the plastic pipe bushing and clamp it securely.
Attach your garden hose to the end and turn on the water slowly.
In some cases the water pressue will simply push the stuck mast pieces apart.
If not, you can use the same method you used without the water pressure (i.e. flexing the mast at the joint) and the water pressure will wash out any particles of sand much more quickly.
Get the tubing and give it a try.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote