Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 14th April 2013, 09:09 PM   #11
Unregistered

Thank you Sergio
the US is known for passive planing
the iS should serve lighter sailors just as well - with a few more pumps - that's all !!
Old 15th April 2013, 08:05 PM   #12
Ericred0

Location: Llangorse in the brecon beacons. very close to the lake.

Hmmmm Sergio im not the worlds best pumper no. but it fine thanks, id prefer to plane with as little pumping as necessary like most people i guess. The is does need more than the us. if i was lighter it would still be the case..
I must add that my next board will be an isonic 110 if the wind always blew we wouldnt need Ultrasonics....
Ericred0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 01:11 PM   #13
Stargazer

Dear ericredo,

Like you I've been reading and searching a lot around for the right info . As you I weight around 70'ish well it's more like 72 :-)
Anyway, I'm looking for a light wind board as well and I'am still wondering whether an Isonic 127 or an US would serve me the best as a medium weight rider especially I wonder if we would feel the difference a lot in the low wind area. For sure an IS 127 would be more controllable in gusts but the US width would help it plane faster .. but would make it a big difference ?
Does anyone out weight can chime in on this?
I'm planning to trade in my older board for a new one .. and I can't decide between an IS 127 and the US knowing that my next board is an futura 111.
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 06:42 PM   #14
Ericred0

Hi Stargazer,
In reply to you asking if theres a big difference between the i sonic and ultrasonic in light winds, the answer is definatley yes. I took my isonic 135 out in light winds the other day with my 9.6 after using the US as my light wind board for the last few weeks the IS felt very sluggish to get onto the plane to be honest it made my point 7 ac1 9.6 feel like a 7.5 i think thats a fair comparison without getting technical. However when the wind picked up it was noticably faster and looser.
Hope this helps, sorry havnt quoted windspeeds because i didnt measure them.
Old 20th May 2013, 08:08 PM   #15
BelSkorpio

Yesterday, I had another great ride on my US147.
In the afternoon we had a Northern wind, slowly but firmly building up.
When I arrived at my spot, there were only a few Formula boards planing in +/- 10 knots.
Because i knew that the wind was going to build further towards the evening, I put my 8.8 ready.
When the wind reached 12 knots, I went on the water. I almost immediately started planing, but without too much reserve. When the wind increased further to 14-16 knots, I had the time of my life. I was flying on racks of 6km length. Super. When the wind increased even further to 15-19 knots, I got a little overpowered in the gusts. Normally I change for my IS122, but I was already too tired. Anyway, it felt good to see that the board also performs very well in the high end. I had my mastfoot right in the middle. Good choice when you're riding the US in the high end. In minimal conditions I have the mastfoot very far to the back.
Amazing what a wind range it handles with 1 sail (8.8), i.e. 12-19 knots.

Last edited by BelSkorpio; 20th May 2013 at 08:12 PM.
BelSkorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2013, 07:41 PM   #16
Ericred0

Hi BelSkorpio
Thanks for that, i havnt tried the mast foot at the back in light winds yet must give it a go.
A couple of weeks ago you mentioned planing without a whitecap in sight, the other day i sailed on the upwind edge of our lake the water was like a mirror ive never planed on such flat water. Very surreal..
Eric
Old 25th August 2013, 09:45 AM   #17
Ericred0

Just thought id add that at the moment our lake is quite weed infested so a near vertical fin is impossable to use, ive bought a Select weed fin XXL which i think is as big as they get. Hardly notice the weed now and the lake is as big as early season the only downside is i can only use up to 8.5m because of the fin size this will let go if i loosen the outhaul too much. As we havnt had many windy days this season im very pleased i bought the Ultrasonic its got me on the water a lot more than i would of otherwise........
Old 26th August 2013, 11:07 AM   #18
BelSkorpio

Luckily I didn't have to use a weed fin yet on my US147.

But also with us, a lot of big lakes close to the sea are getting more and more infested by weed.
Horrible.
Some say that it is due to heavy fertilization of farmers on the lands closeby.
Don't know if it's true.
Old 26th August 2013, 01:59 PM   #19
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

ericred0,
See if you can find one of the Lessacher Formula Duo Weed fins. You can sail larger sails, very full
without the fin "letting go".
The Formula Duo is only 40 cm deep, but the asymmetrical foil design gets rid of the weeds a lot better
and you almost cannot get one of these to "let go".
http://www.cameraid.com/Lessacher/weed.html
Roger

Last edited by Roger; 26th August 2013 at 02:01 PM.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2013, 07:24 PM   #20
Ericred0

Hi Roger
Thanks for that, ive ordered one Wolfgang says it'll take 2 weeks to make. I'll let you know how i get on with it....
Eric