Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14th June 2013, 12:20 AM   #1
Roger Smith

Question New Formula 167 wide pinhole leaks in the deck

I have a new to me formula 167, it had been demoed like 3 times before I bought it from a reputable starboard dealer. The board looked to be in perfect shape. My previous board was an hwr, the deck carbon is half as thik and it looked like it had almost no epoxy, very little. I bought it new and every time I came back I had another whole in it. In the end I learned to sit it out in the sun an look for water boiling out after a rid. This new board looks and feels so much stronger and stiffer.

When I got the board I put it out in the sun and looked for any water damage. The board feels heavear than the older HWR, and for that I am greatful. However, after bringing the board back from my first ride with no harsh crashes or anything I put it in the sun, and in three places I had water come up out of it. Not much a few thimbles worth of water from each hole, maybe more, but quickly dried out. I marked each pinhole with a red felt tip marker because the holes are not visable to the naked eye, but water clearly boils out, and I helped the extraction with a hair blow drier. First is this at all normal, and second, what is the best way to go about repairing the holes. It seems like just heating it up and spraying some clear paint on the very small area while it cools and dries may be enough to seal it, I don't think epoxy will seap into the hole and may not stick, but sanding the aria and adding fiber glass or carbon seems like a way over kill. What is the remidy?