Go Back   Starboard Forums > ProKids World

Old 18th September 2013, 06:05 PM   #1
galeforce8

Default Kombat Tuffskin 114

Hi I've just picked up a used Kombat Tuffskin 114 for my son, really looking forward to getting him out on the water.

One question, there are 2 holes forward of the centre fin box (see attached pic, circled in red), can't figure out what they are for ?

My best guess is they are for a tether for learning without sailing too far ?

Thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KOMBAT.jpg (10.2 KB, 1 views)
galeforce8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2013, 10:28 PM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

galeforce8,
You guessed correctly!
In the fin/fin screws/footstrap/footstrap screws/brass extended mast base nut that came with the board when it was new there was a loop of nylon webbing (kinda fuzed together at the screw holes) that fits the 2 hole pattern in the bottom of your Kombat 114.
The concept (and it works rather well) is to tie a weighted tether to the loop after you install the 2 screws.
Set the weight just above the sea bed under the board, and you will not get the tether line wrapped up in the center and rear fin.
All the other places you could attach a tether would influence the new sailor's directional
control.
Attaching it in front of the center fin just makes sense as the new sailor does not even know he/she is on a tether until the end of the rope, or when the instructor takes up the slack.
If you decide you want to use it, get some short 6mm x 1.0 footstrap screws.
Regular footstrap screws, or the 7mm later footstrap screws will punch out the back of the small double insert that's molded into the hull.
Enjoy,
Roger
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 06:09 PM   #3
galeforce8

Ideal, many thanks for the quick reply.

I've been towing him with my IMCO and that work's pretty well in light airs as he gets a feeling of speed and can copy me through the turns. have also been running a long line from the back of the board, but we've (he's) had a few sudden stops with that technique
Old 19th September 2013, 10:38 PM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

galeforce8,
Try this....
See if you can fix an attachment point very near the nose of the 114 on the under side.
Get a 1/4" line or 1/2"-3/4" wide flat nylon tube strap about 12-15 feet long.
Get about 3 feet of bungee 5/16" bungee cord or double up some 3/16" or 1/4" bungee cord.
Cut the 1/4" line/flat nylon tube strap in half and sew or tie the bungee cord in the center with the rope/strap extending off both ends of the bungee.
Tie one end of the rope/strap to the front of the 114.
Tie the other end to your mast base.
I do this all the time teaching!
No more yelling, great control to keep students from taking off downwind, they will
imitate my every move after about 5 minutes.
In 10-15 minutes about half of them are trying to pass me up. They learn that quicklu.
Of course, before you go out on the water you present a little verbal "challenge".
I tell them that as soon as they can keep slack in the tether all the time, and are attempting to pass me on the upwind side, I will let them "off the leash".
At first I have them focus on the tether....ask them to keep slack in it.
It's amazing how quickly they learn this way.
When you want to tack, tell them you will tell them when to start their tack.
You just tack a little upwind and a little sooner and there's no problem with tangles.
Hope this helps,
Roger
Old 20th September 2013, 06:29 AM   #5
galeforce8

thanks, that's not far off what we were doing with a bigger board so yes I was planning on putting a towing loop on the front of the 114.

I can't seem to post links here but if you (or anyone else) is interested there is a short clip on youtube of me towing him.

Just search on youtube for "Windsurfing Lessons 11th August 2013"

Thanks again for the advice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 20th September 2013, 11:26 AM   #6
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

galeforce8,
What size is that rig?
Where did you place the mast foot?
My experience suggests that for your son to be able to "steer" with the rig, the
mast foot needs to be absolutely as far back in the slot as possible.
I did some testing with 1.2 m2/1.7 m2 and 2.5 m2 rigs and had to make an aluminum
mast track extension to bring the mast foot back over the center fin.
Without the extension, the tiny rigs (< 2.0 m2) center of effort was simply too far forward to make any sort of progress upwind.
Hope this helps,
Roger