Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 28th February 2014, 06:51 PM   #11
kapten k

I had the Hypersonic 133 wood The board is amazing upwind and gybes really well.
I mostly used a 8.2 vapor on it and a 32cm weedfin, the bottom gives it lots of grip so i sailed with a 24cm weed fin in shallow water with 8.2
Dont overfin the bard. it just makes it slower. I tried anything between 7.2 and 10.8 on mine, The board is best with a 8m sail. Itīs controllable with smaller sails, but then you could be on a smaller slalom board and go faster. The only drawbacks of the board was that to start planing you had to point it WAY downwind and pump hard! But as soon as it got going, it felt like a rocketship flying over the water. Also Going deep down on runs, it was kind of sticky and slow. Compared to newer isonics itīs slower downwind and in big heavy chop. But on short steep chop across and upwind its very fast. But on flatter water its slower than other slalom boards. Its a very different feel and stance, It feels like a small formula and somedays it was great and other days it was just average. Sometimes i really miss mine, and iīm sad i never tried the original 105l Hypersonic.
kapten k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2014, 09:10 PM   #12
rod_r

Hi kapten k

Appreciate the input. At the moment, I use it only when conditions are perfect for it.....at least until I get used to it more. I also have the Go and an Exocet Windsup 10' so I'm well covered in the 7.5 to 10 sail range.

Yes, it's the hardest board to use, and when it's set up wrong its horrible, but when it's right, there's something about the ride over small chop which makes it quite unique.

I had a recent session on my 7.5 and HS when it got a little overpowered and scary, so I switched to the Go. It was much easier to ride but I was amazed at how much choppier the water had suddenly become, even though the Go is a great board.
rod_r is offline   Reply With Quote