Thanks a lot, that will surely help. Too windy here to try now
And it is a beautiful lake
Alena
Alena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2014, 08:21 AM   #42
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Alena,

Sorry for the kind of shaky cam movie (shot form a floating modular pontoon, which was a bad idea for stability but a good idea to be very close to the action on the water), but I'm sure you get the take home message. I did have some tippy moment myself on several occasion as seen on the movie, so try first with your light 7.5 m2 rig.

Keep us posted with your success or failure & never give up as would Connor Baxter say ;-) !

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2014, 05:25 PM   #43
Alena

Hello
No way I am not giving this up I enjoy even falling off.
Especially since there will be a windsurfing race on Cape Cod in September (New England Windsurfing Festival) and usually there is no wind so if I learn to jibe I will win the race as there is no faster board than the Serenity, to the point that is is unfair. Last year I was winning on the legs until I had to turn.
That lake is very beautiful
Thanks for everything
Alena
Old 5th August 2014, 05:31 PM   #44
Alena

Hello
So I took the Serenity out in low wind and was able to jibe it but again I have trouble passing through the complete downwind point, and at that point I flip the sail to clew first which helps me complete the turn and it is not smooth.
Do you have any advice how to get through that point?
Thanks a lot
Alena
Old 5th August 2014, 11:36 PM   #45
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Alena,
Instead of holding the rig clew first, try raking the mast upwind to "drive" the nose around.
Are you stepping well back on the board to lift the nose and shorten the waterline?
A delicate feat of balance....for sure, but if you can learn to get the nose up, and drive the board around more like a flare jibe with the rig canted heavily upwind, but your weight over the board, you can get it to come round pretty quick.
It takes a whole lot of practice, but I was able to learn it so I'm pretty sure you can as well.
Just figure out the balance points, hit them, and the board will pivot jibe pretty well.
Might have to slow down after those "fleet leading" runs, but if you don't try to do a planning jibe (probably cannot be done successfully or reliably on the the Serenity) you will be able to change directions pretty quickly.
Also consider driving the nose upwind and doing a fast tack in some situations where the swells and chop are not conducive to jibing the Serenity.
Hope this helps,
Roger
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2014, 07:38 PM   #46
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Alena,

I would like to suggest you to try SUPing your Serenity with a paddle. Yes, I know this sounds weird and very tippy at first, but on a super flat* day with zero wind, you will get pretty much accustomed to the footwork I've described earlier. Do not look down to your feet or to the nose of your board. Look straight ahead, slightly bend your knees and paddle gently. Then push down the left rail and bank the board, but not too much otherwise she will throw you out of the deck. You will make a long radius right turn. Repeat on both side for 1-2 hours and then you will be set to do the footwork with the sail as described earlier.
I just did SUPing da big Bertha this morning while waiting for the wind to fill in. After 2 hours paddling on my lake, I just swapped my paddle + leash for the sail and off I went out sailing. Jibing the Serenity was all of a sudden very stable and predictable, so I'm positive this SUP training might be of some help to you.

Cheers !

JM

(*) this is key. Water should be super flat like a mirror, with no swell, no chop, no wake, no wind. Best chance is to get up early and be the first to hit the water at your local pond. Stick the big 70 cm fin, so you will get the perfect balance training. On a dead stop, the board is tippy because of her round hull, no question (primary stability). If you stand with both feets across the mast track, you will be standing fairly forward so the wave-piercing nose will do his job once gliding and the board will be more stable (higher secondary stability). If you stand near the carry handle, the wave-piercing nose will be slightly above the water level and will not do his job as intended, so the board will not be stable enough while gliding (lower secondary stability). Last but not least : take a leash with you; it's amazing how fast the Serenity can glide away from you once you fall in water.

Last edited by Jean-Marc; 16th August 2014 at 08:00 PM.
Old 8th September 2014, 01:34 AM   #47
Alena

Hello again
I have been enjoying the Serenity a lot this Summer and can sail when even the Kiters sit in the beach.
I did paddle it as a sup, it tracks very nicely, next time I will practice what you said. Today I jibed it few times with the help from a wave from behind that gave it extra stability and speed and for the first time got the nose nicely through the wind, using Roger's method and tilting the mast windward. I think in the end it will be a combination of the two.
Next weekend there is a race on Cape Cod (fun race} and if there is low wind and I do not fall jibing, the guys have no chance against the Serenity even though they windsurf much better than me.
Can't wait for the next weekend
Alena
Old 8th September 2014, 05:51 AM   #48
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Alena,
Good luck in the races!
We will all be cheering for you, from all over the planet!
Cape Hatteras.....France....Thailand
We all know that you can do this!
Roger
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2014, 09:33 AM   #49
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Dear Alena,

Glad you managed to complete your jibe sucessfuly with your Serenity. Well done !
Good luck with the race. Smoke them all to show that this board is the real princess in ultra-light winds ;-)

Cheers !

JM
Old 17th September 2014, 12:05 AM   #50
Alena

Default Race

Hello
Turns out to win a windsurfing race one needs more than going fast. I developed a fatal attraction to the wrong side of the marker and sooo...
The race was a new experience, beautiful to sail in a group, windsurfing is usually a solitary experience.
The Serenity was universally admired she was just upset abut the rider that did not do her justice.
However my jibes on this board are becoming more possible and next year will try again.
Thanks for everuthing
Alena