Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 7th February 2007, 10:51 AM   #1
mheppell

Default Board quiver advice for an intermediate

Hi Roger,

The season is coming fast (Hatteras trip in late April)!

I know you answer this a thousand times...

I started windsurfing this summer. I have a Fanatic slalom Bee 125l and a Nova 180l. Although the Bee is 15 years old, it is in good shape and weights 21 pounds.

I only used the Bee 4 times since I've used the foostrap. Since I loves the speed and agility of the Bee (compared to my Nova). I might look to replaced both boards. I weight 180 lb, 34, and I am an agressive intermediate who wants to progress (footstrap, harness and water start ARE OK). I sail 30 times a year in these conditions: 8.5 (35%), 6.7 (35%) and 5.5 (20%) and presently looking for a 4.5 (10%) to complete my sail quiver. 12 days are in Cape Hatteras and others in Montreal, Quebec area.

Any board suggestion? Can a board be good in these broad conditions or 2 is required? if so which to replace? Should I only replace the Nova, keep the Bee and buy a board for light wind or the opposite: keep the nova the light wind and get a board for medium wind?

In other words, which one is the most restrainer (prevent me to get air, jibe or chop fun)? A New Big fatso board or an old design medium wind board.

I came up with an costly idea: 2 new board:

- Carve133 for my 6.7 and 8.5 sails (and 5.5 for 1 board family trip)

- Kombat 95 for my 4.5, 5.5 and 6.7 sails

Thanks for your comments

Martin
mheppell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2007, 01:36 PM   #2
crazychemical

Default RE: Board quiver advice for an intermediate

you say you are ocmfortable with a bee 125 so you may want to look at a carve 122, the recommended sailrange is up to 8m?? but i think, if you get yourself a bit of bigger fin you can pull of an 8.5 aswell on it, and you'll be going faster with a bigger sailing range (you could use the 5.5 on the carve aswell).
You can't waterstart you say so i don't know if it is a wise idea to actually buy a kombat already. You can check for second hand boards of similar volume, it'll cost you less, and since you don't use it a lot (you say yourself 30 % of the time) i don't see it as the best buy yet. Once you get to know the techniques then you can transfer to a new kombat but for now i think you can even learn waterstart, harness surfing etc with the carve, there are great boards and the 122 and 133 have more inward footstrap settings which make learning easier and outward for more racing (i'm thinking of the 8.5 in very excellent conditions ).
Old 7th February 2007, 07:33 PM   #3
mheppell

Sorry about my unclear msg. I am already in the footstraps and do waterstart. It still take me too long to W/S in choppy conditions (3 ft high)!
Old 7th February 2007, 09:03 PM   #4
mike

Hi mheppell,

With the 4 sails you have & the 2 boards you propose, I presently have a similar quiver. It works.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2007, 10:34 PM   #5
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi mheppel,
I kind of agree with Mike here.
The boards you have are (in my opinion) good for a fairly large range.
You don't state specifically what your primary goal is here.
Light wind planing with your 8.5 ?
Better higher wind performance than your Bee 125L?
Easier learning curve for jibes and chop hops, etc.?
Something a little wider than the Nova with a better fin would help with
early planing, but may not be the easiest to jibe.
The Carve 133 is not going to plane as early (35% of your sailing time) as the Nova, but will be alot easier to gybe.
Maybe with really good technique, the Carve 133 will plane up within a knot or 2 of the Nova, so that may be an OK choice.
Have you fully explored all the potential with your Nova?
Bigger fin, footstraps all the way back and outboard, etc.?
I might suggest one of the larger Isonics (133 or 145) if pure speed and early planing were your primary goals.
Even a GO 155 might provide a little advantage over the Nova, but not much.
So, I'm going to "read between the lines" here (until we hear back from you) and suggest maybe adding only one board to your quiver.
The Kombat 97 or an S-Type 104 or Carve 101 would give you great jibing potential, chop hopping potential, and much better, smoother high wind sailing and control.
It's really about where you want to put the emphasis on your near term progress as to whether you need to replace the Nova and Bee 125L.
Wider boards, with less volume and larger fins/wider footstrap offset should help with your 8.5m2 rig and you may even want to invest in a 9.5 m2 or larger rig to get the full marginal wind potential out of a wider board with a larger fin.
For marginal wind performance, my experience is that width is more important than volume, but since the majority of your sailing is on fresh water, that needs to be a consideration in your choices.
The board that works great in Hatteras (salt water) may not get going quite so early in the gustier winds and fresh water around Montreal.
The S-Type 104/Kombat 97/Carve 101 might be wonderful in Hatteras, but a little short on volume in marginal 6.7/5.5 m2 conditions on fresh water near Montreal.
Lots of things to consider here,
I have the Kombat 97 and Carve 101 in my demo fleet so if you are in Hatteras late in April (April 19-21, 2007) you can come over to the Windfest and give them a try.
Hope this helps,
Roger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2007, 11:31 PM   #6
mheppell

Hi Roger,

Thank you of rising up good questions!

I want to continue the natural steps of progressing in windsurfing...which I think will be chop-hop and jibing. In a long term goal, I want to be able to ride at an expert place 2 hrs from home (it's called St-jean on the St-Lawrence river (very windy and strong tide current= big swell).

Primary goals:

Light wind planing with your 8.5 ? YES but I could accept a little less planning ability because better technique is now compensating...

Better higher wind performance than your Bee 125L? I don't know what a newer board has to offer 'cause my old slalom Bee was fast enough with the 6.7m.

Easier learning curve for jibes and chop hops, etc.? YES YES YES

Something a little wider than the Nova ? NO, it is already too cumbersome to carry over the roof or inside the car.

Have you fully explored all the potential with your Nova? NO, but I have a weed True Ames 18" and footstraps are all the way back and outboard.

For now, I don't want to invest for larger rig for lighter wind: I will take a half day off when the wind will be there.

Thank you again
Old 8th February 2007, 03:45 AM   #7
mheppell

Roger, here is the quiver selection plan :

Wind range [kt] Board Sail
12-18 C133 8.5
15-21 C133 6.7
18-24 C133 5.5
21-27 K95 5.5
24-30 K95 4.5

What do you think about that?
Old 8th February 2007, 10:02 AM   #8
mike

Hi mheppell,

I know you're wanting Roger's advice, but your quiver is so similar to mine & at 185lbs I'm similar weight. I can maybe give a little extra info & hopefully be somewhat inline with what Roger says.

I agree with Roger's more detailed suggestions. For example, I kind of wonder if I will change my 135l freeride for something like an Isonic. It's hard to really know until you've tried what you have in your local conditions for awhile. I personally think your board selection is quite safe.

My comments on your wind range (I assume your sails are fairly good & modern):

12-18 knots C33 8.5 - Yes about right

15-21 knots C133 6.7 - Yes but if the wind is steady, you could switch to the Kombat

18-24 C133 5.5 - C133 will probably feel too big unless the water is really flat, Kombat on 6.7 or 5.5 would be better

21-27 K95 5.5 - Yep - this is where it rocks!! Give that sail some downhaul.

24-30 K95 4.5 - Yep, but at this point the board may start to feel big, especially in the upper 20's with big gusts & freaky great ramps in the swell. That's why I'm looking at the Acid 80.

I've found the Kombat works best with footstraps outboard. This will be a must for the 6.7 sail. For higher wind, inboard allows more control when overpowered & works very nicely, but, in my mind a bit les than ideal.

Hope all this helps.
Old 8th February 2007, 11:42 PM   #9
mheppell

Thank you Mike,

What are your boards?
Old 9th February 2007, 05:11 AM   #10
mike

No problem mheppell.

Kombat 96, BIC techno e-large 135L ('04).

North sails 4.7 (DrX) & 5.3 (Instinct)
Sailworks Retro 6.5 & 8.5

Seriously looking at Pure Acid 80