Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 10th February 2007, 04:39 AM   #1

Default Fin Damage

Any thoughts on repairing a Deb R13 70 M?

I fell in some shore break and stuck the fin deep into the sand. About midway up the trailing edge of the fin, there is a section about 2-3 cm long that was bent to one side. Only the last 3mm of the edge is bent.

It's too thin for new material (carbon or epoxy). The only thing I can think of is to file of the bent part, which will leave a small section along the trailing edge with no material.

I have been sailing with the damage for quite a while and haven't noticed any control or performance problems. However, not being an expert on a formula, I may be missing something and don't know it.

I use two other fins with the board, the Drake that came with the F160 and an older 68cm Curtis for higher winds. The Deb is still the best fin.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2007, 06:52 AM   #2
steveC

Default RE: Fin Damage

Hi Ken,

I have a suggestion, but it could be viewed as a bit crude in nature, if only because it remains so visible. In reality, it's quite simple. After preparing the area to remove all damaged material, I used Marinetex to fill the entire cavity. Then it's just a matter of shaping and sanding the Marinetex to conform with the shape of the fin.

My repair was also on the trailing edge, and it's probably a more favorable position over similar damage to the leading edge, as the likelihood of striking the repaired area is greatly reduced. In any case, after continued use of the repaired fin, there was never any sign of weakening or compromise. In fact, I still have the Curtis fin, and it exhibits no change after 14 years, but the fin has been retired for 13 years. However, I should point out that my area of repair was not 2-3cms in length (more like 1cm).

Given the relatively simple nature of the repair, it's worth the time. If the repair does degrade over time requiring removal, you really are no worse off than your original starting point.

I hope this helps some.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2007, 09:47 PM   #3

SteveC,

Thanks for the advice. I have used marine tex, carbon and epoxy before, including the tip of other damaged fins, with less than acceptable results.

The trailing edge of this fin is more like a knife blade. I fear that nothing will stay in place with so little contact /adgesion area.

My question has more to do with - leave as is or remove the bent / damaged section?

Once the damaged area is removed, you are right about the repairs working or not working, nothing lost except time.

Ken
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2007, 10:30 PM   #4
geo

Ken,

why don't you try to ask directly to the fin maker? When I had some minor damage to one of my fins I e-mailed Oriana Deboichet and she gave a kind and thorough answer.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote