Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 5th March 2007, 12:54 PM   #1
ThierryP

Default What Starboard for 8.5 + 10 m?

I am an advanced (but not expert) sailor, and my weight fluctuates between 75 and 78 kgs.
I have a Sonic 85 (used w/ MS TR-1 5.5 and 5.9), an iSonic 105 (TR-1 6.6), and an iSonic 115 (TR-1 7.6). I want to replace my 2 older, light-wind boards with 1: the very old F-155 that I use w/ my TR-1 10m, and my HS 125 that I use with my TR-1 8.5.
The reason why I have so many boards and sails is that I am not very good at fine-tuning my equipment, and that I really do not enjoy sailing outside the "sweet spot" of a board or a sail. I used to have one board for each sail (or one sail for each board), but last year I decided to replace my two smallest, old-style narrow boards with only one, short and wider board (the Sonic 85); I found that the Sonic 85 works very well with both the 5.5 and the 5.9, and I treasure the space that I have saved in the van (as well as the money I saved buying only one board). Now, I would like to save even more space and money, by replacing two big boards with just one.
Which board would you recommend in the Starboard range, which will work very well with both an 8.5 and a 10 m race sails? I find that the F-155 and the HS 125 are very hard work as soon as the wind kicks up; I also find that the pressure on my back foot when using the F-155 becomes hardly bearable at times, so I would like a board that is much more comfortable on the back foot.
I will use the board significantly more often with the 8.5 than with the 10 m, and I will mostly cruise, sail a few miles around the spot, drag race with friends from time to time, perhaps do a long distance occasionally, but I do not do course racing.
From reading other threads, I am under the impression that the iSonic 133 might be best suited to my sailing programme, is that correct? Or is the 145 significantly more comfortable than the 133? The 145 seems to be much better at going upwind; the other guys always seem to be able to sail a few degrees closer to the wind than I can (the explanation is technique, not equipment), but as very few people here sail with anything bigger than 7.5, this is not a prime consideration. I want a board that is easy, fun and comfortable to sail, and fast too, like the Sonic 85 and the iSonic 105 are, and I like a committed style of sailing, but not one that demands spending hours pumping iron in the gym prior to getting on the water.
I am not in a hurry, so I could wait a few months for the 85 cm board that Starboard will have to launch for the 42 slalom series, and that should sit between the 133 and the 145, if this board were to match my requirements perfectly.
Any advice will be appreciated, especially from sailors with a body weight and sails quiver comparable to mine.

Thierry
ThierryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2007, 04:28 AM   #2
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Default RE: What Starboard for 8.5 + 10 m?

Quote:
ThierryP wrote:
I am an advanced (but not expert) sailor, and my weight fluctuates between 75 and 78 kgs.
I find that the F-155 and the HS 125 are very hard work as soon as the wind kicks up; I also find that the pressure on my back foot when using the F-155 becomes hardly bearable at times, so I would like a board that is much more comfortable on the back foot.
I will use the board significantly more often with the 8.5 than with the 10 m, and I will mostly cruise, sail a few miles around the spot, drag race with friends from time to time, perhaps do a long distance occasionally, but I do not do course racing.
Thierry
Thierry,

Althought I'm not your weight, I would suggest you to maybe consider a Carve 162 (http://www.star-board.com/viewpage.php?page_id=2) for its truly easy-going character and "more comfort on the back foot" than either an iSonic 145 (a bit less hard-edged, more softened Formula) or iSonic 133 (a pure race/slalom gear) with both of your 8.5 and 10.0 sqm sails.

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2007, 07:46 AM   #3
steveC

I don't know JM, ThierryP seems to be quite satisfied with the more demanding slalom shapes in the S85 and the iS105, so he might find the extra edge in a straight on slalom shape. Really, at least in my mind, he needs to decide whether the slalom or more formula direction makes the most sense for his style. Personally, the slalom approach seems more viable given his comments. Also, let's not discount the flexibility in different fins to tone down untoward lift characterisitics.

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2007, 03:30 AM   #4
ThierryP

Jean-Marc, Steve, thank you for your input. I am inclined to agree with Steve, however I would really appreciate getting advice from s.o. who has used both boards.
Ian, Remi, can I have your input?

Thierry
Old 7th March 2007, 06:26 AM   #5
mark h

Hi ThierryP

Not Ian or Remi, but I think I can see where your comming from. I'm about 30kg heavier than so can't vouch on the weight thing. I'v tried the iS105/115 and 125 and own a full set of 04/05 Sonics (but sold the S110 recently as I did'nt use it much). The Sonic 110 & 125 sail pretty similair to the iS115 & 125.

Would it be worth considering loosing your F155 & HS125 and also the 8.5m & 10m and replacing with a iS122/125 & a 9m? (the new TR3 9m is supposed to have better low-end and a bigger tunning range than TR2). This would get you loads more space in your van.

If not. Then you would need to consider which type of ride you prefere.

Although they share the same name, the iS133 and iS145 are two very different boards. The slalom based iS133 will give a crisper/faster feeling ride (& some would say, more exiting). The iS133 will work OK with your 7.6, and it will feel sweet with both your 8.5 & 10m with a fin for each sail. Should be faster down-wind and accross the wind than the iS145, but the iS145 will catch up going back up-wind.

On the other hand, the iS145 is not a true light wind slalom board. It is more geared towards a Formula type/style ride. It's worth bearing in mind that the iS145 is an evolution of the F-type 148, so softer rails/easier ride than a full-on formula board, easier in chop etc. My feelings are, its to big for your 7.6m (not much fun), but again, it would be sweet with your 8.5 & 10m and one fin for both sails should be good.

The iS145 is not used in Slalom 42 as its to wide. So the likes of AA and KP will be using the iS133 at light wind events with 8.5 to 10m sails.

You seem to really like the full-on slalom feel, so you might be disappointed with the style/feel of the iS145. If you cant try both boards before you buy, it might be worth sticking with the "true slalom" the iS133.

Hope you get sorted soon.

Cheers

The toys:
Speed W44 - Speed W49 - speed W53 - speed W58 - iS76 - iS107 - iS137 - F161.
North Warps: F2012 5.2m, 5.7m, 6.3m, 7m, 7.8m, 8.6m, 9.5m F2006 11m.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

mark h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2007, 12:51 PM   #6
ThierryP

Thanks for your input Mark, it makes me lean more and more towards the 133. As I already have the 115 for use with my 7.6, I am really not concerned at all with how the 133 would work with a 7.6. You may be right, I will probably enjoy more the feel of a slalom board like the 133 than that of the 145. One of my concerns is whether the 133 is big enough to carry nicely a 10 m sail? Another one is how much later than the 145 the 133 would strt planing? Considering the difference in weight between you and me, I am not sure whether your answers would apply in my case; that's why I would really like to hear from guys that are closer to my own weight (75 to 78 kgs, around 170 pds), and from Remi or Ian.
Thanks again,

Thierry
Old 9th March 2007, 01:13 AM   #7
mark h

Hi Thierry
At 70-80kg, with out any doubt, the iS133 is plenty big enough to carry a 10m nicely. I mainly use a 9m on my S125 at over 105 kg on inland and open sea, and it feels just right (feels like the S125 would take a 10m).

Not sure what your wind minimuim is, but I think the early planning advatage would just about go to the iS145, and not because of its extra width, but because of its bigger fin. With its faster release rails, the iS133 would not be embarassed by the iS145 in the early planning stakes. With an energetic technic, I dont think you would need much more than 2 or 3 knots difference in wind strength to get going between both models.

Cheers

The toys:
Speed W44 - Speed W49 - speed W53 - speed W58 - iS76 - iS107 - iS137 - F161.
North Warps: F2012 5.2m, 5.7m, 6.3m, 7m, 7.8m, 8.6m, 9.5m F2006 11m.

mark h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2007, 05:33 AM   #8
ThierryP

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your input. I would love it if the 125 could carry nicely a 10 m sail, because I think that I can get one for a very good price, however I have difficulty believing that a 75 cm wide board can be efficient and smooth with that size of sail; it may just be a mental block, though. I'll see whether I can borrow a 125...
Concerning the 2 or 3 knots difference between the 133 and the 145: that is a MASSIVE difference, especially on the low end, don't you think?
I would really like to have input from Remi or Ian, but it seems that 280 reads (and counting) do not justify their time and their input, nor do the 8 Starboards (I have not mentioned them all in my first post) that I have currently between my 2 quivers (1 at home, 1 on Maui); perhaps i ought to start looking at Tabou, JP or Fanatic, they make pretty decent boards.
Again, thanks for your advice,

Thierry
Old 12th March 2007, 08:07 AM   #9
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Thierry,

If you can read french, check Rémi's advice on the french forum between iS155/145/133 and big sails below :

http://www.star-board.com/forum/viewthread.php?forum_id=12&thread_id=22395

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2007, 12:42 PM   #10
ThierryP

Merci Jean-Marc,

It was useful reading; it seems to confirm that the 122 is not the ideal size for a 10m sail. The 133 may be what I am looking for: big enough to carry a 10m, but with a slalom feel rather than a Formula feel. However, I am concerned by Alexandre's comment that you lose the feeling of speed with the iSonic 135 ("les sensations de vitesse sont vraiment gommées sur l'iSonic 135").

Thierry